Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » ***UPDATE*** T5 install: Trans FINALLY IN!!! Questions though? (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: ***UPDATE*** T5 install: Trans FINALLY IN!!! Questions though?
1sickEXchp1988
¯
Member # 11451

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1sickEXchp1988  Ford pictures for 1sickEXchp1988    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pilot bearing could be too small
Clutch not center.
Incorrect angle

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:
quote:
Originally posted by *EPIK*:
quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:
Any update, how'd it go [Confused]

No updates yet. Haven't had time to mess with it lately unfortunately.
It's cause you spend all your free time posting about a CTS V over the SHO you've never driven [Razz]

Slap that fucker back in [burnout]

LOL... No I spend 75% of my time dealing with my Music career, which pays for what little mods I can afford for my cars LOL...

--------------------
=91 Notch:12.31@110 **Under Construction**
=05 CTS-V: 418rwhp/393rwtq=13.01@111

http://www.djepikmusic.com

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1sickEXchp1988:
Pilot bearing could be too small
Clutch not center.
Incorrect angle

Personally, what it feels like to me is that the pilot bearing is too small, like once we get it almost in, something is stopping it...

--------------------

1993GT
¯
Member # 7948

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1993GT  Ford pictures for 1993GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm in north sac lmk
Posts: 866 | From: CALIFORNIA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
50DADDY
CAFords OG
Member # 3076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50DADDY  Ford pictures for 50DADDY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Id put the bellhousing on the trans and do it that way.

--------------------
"Im not stupid,i just act that way so i dont make you dummies uncomfortable."

"Old age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill."

Posts: 4827 | From: Suckramento | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
dvuspny
¯
Member # 10949

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for dvuspny  Ford pictures for dvuspny    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its just a mis-alignment of the clutch. hook up your clutch cable and have someone push the clutch pedal in all the way to the floor as you are at that very same point that you say it seems to stop. This allows for the pressure plate to dis-engage the clutch disc enough so that it can align correctly as it goes in. It will work. I trust you have installed the correct parts anyways. [patriot]

--------------------
* -DV8- from the just the "norm." *
DVUS MOTORSPORTS ALBUM - http://s1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa349/Dvus_Motorsports/

Posts: 1221 | From: ~BAY AREA~ | Registered: May 2011  |  :
dvuspny
¯
Member # 10949

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for dvuspny  Ford pictures for dvuspny    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
..................And now i read the whole posts.!!!!!! Poor guy got beat to death with the same message over and over!
....Well; this should have gotten you home by now. GL [patriot]

--------------------
DVUS MOTORSPORTS ALBUM - http://s1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa349/Dvus_Motorsports/

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Had the same problem Dustin...

Was more tired wrestling that T5 that Ultimate Warrior was after Wrestlemania VI.

Finally, had my fattest friend step on the clutch pedal and my life was on track again. [Wink]

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Well.... Finally got the trans back in... Hooked up the clutch cable, pushed in the pedal a few times & BAM, it went right in with no issues!!! You guys were correct!

That being said, I still have a few issues before the car is done. I purchased a new stock trans mount from Auto Zone & for some reason I think it made the trans sit higher? Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't remember the front of the shifter hitting the floor pan in the trans tunnel, & also the top of the trans right in front of the shifter is hitting the floorpan as well. My car was originally an auto, so when we converted it, of course we had to cut the hole bigger for the 5 speed shifter, but today we had to bend it up a little more (since I didn't have any tools on hand to cut it out more). Anybody else have this issue??? Not the best pictures, it's hard to capture the angle, but IMO it looks like the shifter base is higher than it was before? Does it look normal to you guys? Did they give me the wrong trans mount??

-
 -
 -
 -

[ June 22, 2012, 01:58 AM: Message edited by: *EPIK* ]

--------------------

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Another thing, when I went to put the fluid in, it took VERY long to run down into the trans almost like it was plugged, is this the norm?

Also, I noticed a rattling noise coming from the trans area under the car, & through the shifter hole. The noise goes away when the clutch is pushed in? My clutch is a Centerforce dual friction with around 10k miles on it. I only got a chance to drive the car around the block, but all gears seemed to work fine.

[ June 22, 2012, 02:12 AM: Message edited by: *EPIK* ]

--------------------

Camara90
1%
Member # 134

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camara90  Ford pictures for Camara90  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Trans looks to high for sure. Is the noise from the shifter/trans hitting the tunnel? Also with it that much higher it will effect your pinion angle. Take a pic of the mount/cross member under the car.

--------------------
92GT,stock short block,9:1 TFS 170's,perf rpm,custom cam,1 5/8 shorties,C4 trans.
std. 356hp, 350tq
11.85@111.9mph on motor.

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
Originally posted by Camara90:
Trans looks to high for sure. Is the noise from the shifter/trans hitting the tunnel? Also with it that much higher it will effect your pinion angle. Take a pic of the mount/cross member under the car.

Thanks for the reply bro. I thought it seemed high too. The noise goes away when the clutch is pressed in, so I'm not sure if its from the trans hitting the tunnel. U can hear it when you stick your head under the car too.

Here ya go...

-
 -
 -

[ June 22, 2012, 03:09 AM: Message edited by: *EPIK* ]

--------------------

triple b
¯
Member # 8763

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for triple b  Ford pictures for triple b    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
trans is high does the noise chage pitchs like different sound in each gear listen at the same rpm ie. 3rd gear @ 3k amd 4th @ 3k it could be that your pinion angle is off now. u should check it with a dial guage angle finder and use a lower trans mount and adj upper control arms to fix tht

[ June 22, 2012, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: triple b ]

--------------------
1988 4cyl conv 306 HCI "sasha"
2004 tahoe
Sold- 87 GT, 72 chevelle, 63 biscane, 82 monte carlo, 73 nova, 88 silverado,

Posts: 1730 | From: sacramento ca | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
Originally posted by triple b:
trans is high does the noise chage pitchs like different sound in each gear listen at the same rpm ie. 3rd gear @ 3k amd 4th @ 3k it could be that your pinion angle is off now. u should check it with a dial guage angle finder and use a lower trans mount and adj upper control arms to fix tht

Not too sure didn't really get much chance to drive it yet. Would a Duralast trans mount be so poorly designed that it would make the trans sit higher?

--------------------

dvuspny
¯
Member # 10949

Your car was originally an automatic.... The sheet metal around the shifter area is different on factory made 5-speed cars. There in fact is a seperate layer of sheet metal that is welded on at factory. It is different. This is both a larger shifter opening, and sits taller for the trans and shifted clearances.
That said.....the sheet metal area still needs trimmed off and i drill and re~use the shift boot bolt retainer clips by moving the over after trimming the sheet metal area.
The noise can be either your install is still aligned incorrectly. Or possibly even a bad trans rebuild.
Keep me posted. Talk with you soon. [patriot]

[ July 01, 2012, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: dvuspny ]

--------------------

BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
where the exhuast mount hangers at ?
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
Originally posted by dvuspny:
Your car was originally an automatic. The sheet metal around the shifter area is different on factory made 5-speed cars. There in fact is a seperate layer of sheet metal that is welded on at factory. It is different. This is both a larger shifter opening, and sits taller for the trans and shifted clearances.
That said.....the sheet metal area still needs trimmed off and i drill and re~use the shifted boot bolt retainer clips by moving the over after trimming the sheet metal area.
The noise can be either your install is still aligned incorrectly. Or possibly even a bad trans rebuild.
Keep me posted. Talk with you soon. [patriot]

Yeah, I trimmed it when I originally installed the 5 speed 3-4 years ago & it fit fine. Now it seems that after I installed this new trans mount that it doesn't fit. Maybe my old trans mount was so thrashed that it sit lower, but it really wasn't that bad from the look of it? So you are saying the trans tunnel on 5 speed cars is actually higher from the factory?

--------------------

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
Originally posted by SS396chevelle:

I took those off because they didn't fit anyway

--------------------

BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

just think how much higher up the trans would be with installed.an yes that mount is to tall i would find a oe mount.my 91 was a aod car that i did the t5 swap to an it doesnt sit that high up in the tunnel
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
quote:
quote:

just think how much higher up the trans would be with installed.an yes that mount is to tall i would find a oe mount.my 91 was a aod car that i did the t5 swap to an it doesnt sit that high up in the tunnel
Thanks man. Yeah, I will look for an OEM mount, or just put my tired one back in.

--------------------

Camara90
1%
Member # 134

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camara90  Ford pictures for Camara90  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Exactly why I wanted to see a pic. Mount looks to tall, with the hangers on there it would be even taller.

--------------------
92GT,stock short block,9:1 TFS 170's,perf rpm,custom cam,1 5/8 shorties,C4 trans.
std. 356hp, 350tq
11.85@111.9mph on motor.

Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That mount is too tall. I use this one. Prothane 6-1605

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PTP-6-1605-BL/?rtype=10

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com