Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » ***UPDATE*** T5 install: Trans FINALLY IN!!! Questions though? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: ***UPDATE*** T5 install: Trans FINALLY IN!!! Questions though?
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So I am reinstalling my T5 back in the fox after getting it rebuilt. We are at the point to where we have everything all buttoned up, new pilot bearing in, flywheel on, clutch lined up & on, bell housing on, clutch fork & TOB on, BUT when we go to stab the trans back in, the splines will not go together for shit!!!! Wrestled with it for over an hour & gave up!!!! We even got it to where the splines feel like they are joining together, even went & moved the crank pulley & the shaft of the trans would spin, but there was still like a 1/2" gap between the trans & bell housing? What are we doing wrong???

[ June 22, 2012, 02:16 AM: Message edited by: *EPIK* ]

--------------------
=91 Notch:12.31@110 **Under Construction**
=05 CTS-V: 418rwhp/393rwtq=13.01@111

http://www.djepikmusic.com

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My guess would be alignment issue. Had a similar experience LONG LONG ago, but I'll never forget it. I walked away for an hour, got some food, and when I came back it went in within minutes. I was too frustrated at the time.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sometimes I have had to do is just tighten the four bolts the final half inch to get the nose of the input shaft into the pilot bearing. I think I have had to do it each time I have took the tranny out.

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks Don... Yeah, that's what I thought, but went through the process like 5 times. Granted it was like 1am by this time LOL...

Adam, yeah, I'm hoping that will work.

--------------------

Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greasy  Ford pictures for Greasy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When you get it the 1/2" away from the bell housing, have a buddy get in the car and press the clutch pedal. Then move it around, the trans should slip right in.

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

Posts: 3272 | From: North Dallas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
Egocentric
¯
Member # 9529

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egocentric  Ford pictures for Egocentric    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can have someone line it up, and with a free hand spin the input shaft on the other end where the driveshaft connects. It should slide in after it lines up.

--------------------
08 G37S
72 C10 Custom
R6

quote:
ain't no one tell me what to do. - NEIGHT

Posts: 1712 | From: NoOneTellMeWhatToDo-Neight | Registered: Oct 2009  |  :
nitrous_bob
CAFords OG
Member # 77

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nitrous_bob  Ford pictures for nitrous_bob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Greasy:
When you get it the 1/2" away from the bell housing, have a buddy get in the car and press the clutch pedal. Then move it around, the trans should slip right in.

EXACTLY !!!

while hes holding it...get 2 bolts in

--------------------
5.0 OG since 1990

Posts: 1402 | From: st clair shores MI | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
American Iron Speed Shop
¯
Member # 6311

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for American Iron Speed Shop  Ford pictures for American Iron Speed Shop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
^ +3. The clutch disk isnt exactly aligned with the pilot bearing.

--------------------
AmericanIronSpeedShop.com

Posts: 435 | From: Loomis Ca (sacramento) | Registered: Dec 2005  |  :
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FivePTSlow  Ford pictures for FivePTSlow    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
+4. I had this problem, but I was installing my T5 all by myself(under car in garage). I wound up getting a pry bar and sliding it in the side where the clutch fork is. Once I had the trans partially in I pushed the clutch fork in as if it were the clutch being pushed and bam the trans slid all the way in. Made me feel dumb for wrestling with it for an hour before that. I too had the clutch alignment tool, but obviously it didn't line up perfectly.

--------------------
2011 GT/CS 5.0 + Boost(Procharger)
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted
05 SRT-4 24PSI E-85 at least 50 million hp
07 Harley VROD NRS Stage 1

Posts: 1857 | From: Sacramento | Registered: May 2007  |  :
SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIC9250  Ford pictures for SIC9250    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by FivePTSlow:
+4. I had this problem, but I was installing my T5 all by myself(under car in garage). I wound up getting a pry bar and sliding it in the side where the clutch fork is. Once I had the trans partially in I pushed the clutch fork in as if it were the clutch being pushed and bam the trans slid all the way in. Made me feel dumb for wrestling with it for an hour before that. I too had the clutch alignment tool, but obviously it didn't line up perfectly.

This.

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

Posts: 6959 | From: in the drivers seat. | Registered: Feb 2008  |  :
Camara90
1%
Member # 134

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camara90  Ford pictures for Camara90  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you are solo use a c clamp on the shift fork to act as if the clutch is being pressed in. You should never need to use the bolts to have to drive the trans in the last couple inches.

--------------------
92GT,stock short block,9:1 TFS 170's,perf rpm,custom cam,1 5/8 shorties,C4 trans.
std. 356hp, 350tq
11.85@111.9mph on motor.

triple b
¯
Member # 8763

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for triple b  Ford pictures for triple b    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yep yep yep try all those ideas the beat one is getting food and a beer and coming back to it. aleays works i have even wait over nite if im pissed off

--------------------
1988 4cyl conv 306 HCI "sasha"
2004 tahoe
Sold- 87 GT, 72 chevelle, 63 biscane, 82 monte carlo, 73 nova, 88 silverado,

Posts: 1730 | From: sacramento ca | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the clutch disc is off buy a hair, put the bellhouseing on first. then as your installing the trans box, right when your stuck and it wont go any farther, use a pry bar to engage the clutch fork manually, this will loosen the clutch disc letting it float an be able to shift as u can now slide trans the rest of the way in.gd luck!
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Thanks a lot guys... I'm gonna try the clutch fork thing when I get back on it in a few days...

--------------------

SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When aligning your clutch, the alignment tool should be able to slide in and out with ease and without it catching on anything. I've been where you are and have been just as fustrated as you are now, but after taking out and reinstalling multiple manual transmissions, its a breeze now. PM me if you need any help, advice or anything at all. [patriot]

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
norcalstangman
¯
Member # 8387

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for norcalstangman  Ford pictures for norcalstangman  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

1++++
Posts: 444 | From: san mateo, ca | Registered: May 2008  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Do this.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

VENOMUS PONY 5.0
¯
Member # 7785

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VENOMUS PONY 5.0  Ford pictures for VENOMUS PONY 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My experience epik was the pilot bearing bore was not big enough for my t5 shaft and had to go get another and it when in like butter thats just another thing you might look into if the clutch fork process does not work.

[ May 01, 2012, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: VENOMUS PONY 5.0 ]

--------------------
If You Want More Inches - Stroke It!!!
Mystery stang in the works..

Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Same deal I had..jus have some lone push the clutch fork with a pry bar..should slide in the last bit..goodluck

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Any update, how'd it go [Confused]

--------------------

duncan disciple
Member # 11869

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for duncan disciple  Ford pictures for duncan disciple    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

[ May 09, 2012, 11:24 PM: Message edited by: duncan disciple ]

--------------------
Dexters bikes
Get ur motorcycles taken care of right

blown95svt
¯
Member # 8893

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blown95svt  Ford pictures for blown95svt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know the turbo coupe t5 has a different size input shaft and used a different pilot bearing.

--------------------
95 cobra blown 331 gr40 suspension
***NEED QUALITY WORK FOR HALF THE PRICE? I DO SIDE JOBS! PM FOR DETAILS***
www.norcalmotorcompany.com

Posts: 1434 | From: roseville | Registered: Jan 2009  |  :
1993GT
¯
Member # 7948

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1993GT  Ford pictures for 1993GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I do them my self in garage on floor I use a motorcycle jack to hold trans in place then use a regular jack to jack up motor a little on front of oil pan with a block of wood on jack to prevent damage and to get the correct angle u need to stab in make sure it is not in gear. I also use an old yoke as a plug so it makes easy to spin shaft. Start a bolt on each Side (longer bolts first) and tighten until u can start all other bolts and then when all started start on a bolt then do the opposite untill completely sucked in and Wallah. Good luck.

[ May 16, 2012, 03:30 AM: Message edited by: 1993GT ]

Posts: 866 | From: CALIFORNIA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:

No updates yet. Haven't had time to mess with it lately unfortunately.

--------------------

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

quote:
Originally posted by *EPIK*:
quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:

No updates yet. Haven't had time to mess with it lately unfortunately.
It's cause you spend all your free time posting about a CTS V over the SHO you've never driven [Razz]

Slap that fucker back in [burnout]

[ May 16, 2012, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: hidnn.o.s. ]

--------------------

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com