Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Timing question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Timing question
30Tunes
¯
Member # 8105

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 30Tunes  Ford pictures for 30Tunes  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok so I took my car to a shop. The guy says the timing was at around 18-20! He took it to 10 and the car seems VERY quiet but alot more responsive. The backfiring has quit but its just crazy to me how quiet it is now..... Any ideas?

--------------------
SUCCESS ONLY COMES BEFORE WORK IN THE DICTIONARY

1991 Calypso Green Notch
1993 Cobra Clone - SOLD

30Tunes
¯
Member # 8105

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 30Tunes  Ford pictures for 30Tunes  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anyone? I don't want to drive it if its damaging something.

--------------------

1991 Calypso Green Notch
1993 Cobra Clone - SOLD

norcalfiddy
¯
Member # 11207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for norcalfiddy  Ford pictures for norcalfiddy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by TonyToons707:

you wont damage anything with it at 10*, thats basicly factory timing.

--------------------
600HP 1996 7.3L powerstroke single cab short bed race truck

Posts: 3393 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2011  |  :
SLOWFOX
¯
Member # 11067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWFOX  Ford pictures for SLOWFOX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Maybe thats how it should be bro when u say quite you mean exhaust? Whats yourset up? But yea you dont want your car popping and shit unless your exhaust is suppose to..

--------------------
" A Wolf under sheep's clothing"-svoRICK 2/10/12
Almost everything I asked for.

30Tunes
¯
Member # 8105

quote:
Originally posted by norcalfiddy:
quote:

Should I advance it a little bit? When I say it got quiet I mean the car in general is very quiet at idle but when I give it gas it sounds normal. I want my loudness back!! haha
norcalfiddy
¯
Member # 11207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for norcalfiddy  Ford pictures for norcalfiddy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by norcalfiddy:
quote:

Should I advance it a little bit? When I say it got quiet I mean the car in general is very quiet at idle but when I give it gas it sounds normal. I want my loudness back!! haha
you can if you want, not sure what your setup is, dont do that much, 12 to 14* should be fine. i had my stock 89 5.0 at 16* when i got it and retimed it at 10* and it ran much better and smoother.

--------------------
600HP 1996 7.3L powerstroke single cab short bed race truck

Posts: 3393 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2011  |  :
30Tunes
¯
Member # 8105

HCI, would you recommend setting it to 14? It was originally at around 21* the shop said! Which was way off! It rides very smooth now with great power through all gears but if bumping the timing up will make it that much more powerful, I want to do that.

--------------------

1991 Calypso Green Notch
1993 Cobra Clone - SOLD

nitrous_bob
CAFords OG
Member # 77

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nitrous_bob  Ford pictures for nitrous_bob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you want loud work on your exhaust

if you advance it too much ...then your gonna break something

and did your guy actually do it right ? did he take the SPOUT out to read it? leave it out to adjust it ? then put it back AFTER all that

he was reading initial timing right ? not total timing ? and BTDC not ATDC right ???????

and NO, bumping it to the very edge of lean is good...but do you know what that is for your car and the ambient conditions at that time ???

you need to power tune it at the track, when MPH starts to tail off...then go back 2 degrees. note temp and humidity

cooler days you can be more aggressive....hotter days you need to back off

[ March 29, 2012, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: nitrous_bob ]

--------------------
5.0 OG since 1990

Posts: 1402 | From: st clair shores MI | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
illwill510
¯
Member # 3788

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for illwill510  Ford pictures for illwill510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
12-14 degrees on the timing with spout out. 10 degrees ur sacraficing some power. I noticed a big difference in power from 10 to 14.
Posts: 785 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
30Tunes
¯
Member # 8105

This was a real shop so everything was done right. He did take the spout out than put it back in and check again. It's set to 10 and runs perfect now but I wouldn't mind some extra safe horsepower. I'll check out 13 and see how that goes. So it's normal for the car to get that quiet though??

--------------------

1991 Calypso Green Notch
1993 Cobra Clone - SOLD

nitrous_bob
CAFords OG
Member # 77

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nitrous_bob  Ford pictures for nitrous_bob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No, I've never heard anything like that b4

--------------------
5.0 OG since 1990

Posts: 1402 | From: st clair shores MI | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com