Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 5 lug conversion on 4 banger?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 5 lug conversion on 4 banger?
93lx4cyl
¯
Member # 10517

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93lx4cyl  Ford pictures for 93lx4cyl    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Alright I've done some research..I'm going to get the 5 lug conversion kit (5 lug axles rotors) and I've seen to make it work on 2.3l you need 5.0 spindles struts and calipers. On the kits it says only works with some wheels(I.e 97 cobra wheels I believe, stock 95 pony wheels and some others) with no more. I want to run saleen wheels or bullits. Would I need spacers or wider wheels to make work with the back space difference? Or would running sn95 spindles calipers struts rotors be a better fitment?
Posts: 204 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2010  |  :
triple b
¯
Member # 8763

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for triple b  Ford pictures for triple b    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The problem is new wheels won't fit around the old spindle it has that huge cap that covers the bearings just go with the new spindles brakes rotors and u will be much happier with the braking and you don't have to change the booster if u keep the drums out back. The 5.0 spindle = 2.3 spindle all the same and goes for sn95 also v6=v8 spindles

[ January 30, 2012, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: triple b ]

--------------------
1988 4cyl conv 306 HCI "sasha"
2004 tahoe
Sold- 87 GT, 72 chevelle, 63 biscane, 82 monte carlo, 73 nova, 88 silverado,

Posts: 1730 | From: sacramento ca | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
American Iron Speed Shop
¯
Member # 6311

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for American Iron Speed Shop  Ford pictures for American Iron Speed Shop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you are wanting to keep the spindles you have (original 4cyl fox) you can use mid 80's ranger front rotors. otherwise you need 5.0 spindles and mark vII front rotors.

either way above will be a problem for dust cap/wheel selections. I would go sn95 and be done with it, better braking and any wheel.

--------------------
AmericanIronSpeedShop.com

Posts: 435 | From: Loomis Ca (sacramento) | Registered: Dec 2005  |  :
5.0 LsX
¯
Member # 10017

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0 LsX  Ford pictures for 5.0 LsX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get the sn95 setup if you have the choice, everything fits great, and brake jobs are easier, no hub assembly's, rotors slide on

--------------------
91' Notch

93lx4cyl
¯
Member # 10517

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93lx4cyl  Ford pictures for 93lx4cyl    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

[ January 30, 2012, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: 93lx4cyl ]

93lx4cyl
¯
Member # 10517

Thanks for the tips!

Question: if I go sn95 set up would my struts need to be swapped ?

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 93lx4cyl:
Thanks for the tips!

Question: if I go sn95 set up would my struts need to be swapped ?

I believe so, feel free to look it up but I believe the thickness of the spindle for the 4 cyl is different from that of the v8/sn95 spindles, so the 4cyl struts wouldn't be able to fit over the sn95 spindles and bolt on.

and yes, sn95 spindles/5 lug setup with fox length axles is the only way to go 5 lug if you want the most wheel options.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
93lx4cyl
¯
Member # 10517

Struts off of a sn95 would work? Or 5.0 fox? I saw a guide somewhere saying spacers or longer wheel studs would work on fox 5 lug set up w/o sn95 spindles
MUSTTANGUY
¯
Member # 2251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MUSTTANGUY  Ford pictures for MUSTTANGUY  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The 94/95 conversion is the best,
I have a NICE setup available w/ 94/95 spindles, fresh turned rotors, and 99-04 dual piston PBR calipers. Ready to bolt on and go.
Fox V8 struts best , SN95 alittle longer

--------------------
Tim (Musttanguy)
97 5.0 coupe
82 GT 427/T56/9"

5.0 LsX
¯
Member # 10017

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0 LsX  Ford pictures for 5.0 LsX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sn95 struts and fox are the same, but the sn95's are taller, so go with the fox v8 struts. You won't need any kind of spacers with any of the 5 lug swaps, unless you are coilover in the front and have rim to spring clearance issues, and if you are fox length axle in the rear you might want spacers to bring the wheel out (imo the wheel will sit too far in)

--------------------
91' Notch

93lx4cyl
¯
Member # 10517

Thanks again.

Any two driver side axles out of a 4 cyl ranger with 9 inch drums would work like 80s model or 80s model passenger axles of a aerostar?

5.0 LsX
¯
Member # 10017

no problem, some one else needs to chime in on which oem axles fit...i just bought aftermarket 31spline, but yes on the 9" drums

--------------------
91' Notch

5.0 LsX
¯
Member # 10017

o and just to make sure, your rear end is an 8.8 right?

--------------------
91' Notch

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Thanks again.

Any two driver side axles out of a 4 cyl ranger with 9 inch drums would work like 80s model or 80s model passenger axles of a aerostar?

I think you need 8" drums for your 7.5" 4cyl rearend.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

93lx4cyl
¯
Member # 10517

Yea its 8.8 should be 8.8 on both 4cyl and 5.0s from what I've researched..
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
Yea its 8.8 should be 8.8 on both 4cyl and 5.0s from what I've researched..

not unless somebody swapped it out for a v8 rear, check the diff cover quickly if you want to see...

http://www.mylrs.com/blogs/lrs/archive/2009/04/24/mustang-7-5-amp-8-8-rear-axle-info.aspx

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

93 twintrbo
¯
Member # 10475

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93 twintrbo  Ford pictures for 93 twintrbo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a complete front 5 lug set up. V8 spindles, calipers, rotors (i believe they are lincoln 5 lug rotors?) and struts. You can have everything for $50. Rotors have less than 1000 miles. They were off my 89 coupe.

Located in santa rosa
Lawrence

[ January 31, 2012, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: 93 twintrbo ]

93lx4cyl
¯
Member # 10517

I shall check it out, if I run sn95 axles for disc all around would the MC and PV valve have to be changed?
triple b
¯
Member # 8763

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for triple b  Ford pictures for triple b    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I you run disk brakes all around the booster should be changed to sn95 one

--------------------
1988 4cyl conv 306 HCI "sasha"
2004 tahoe
Sold- 87 GT, 72 chevelle, 63 biscane, 82 monte carlo, 73 nova, 88 silverado,

Posts: 1730 | From: sacramento ca | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
93lx4cyl
¯
Member # 10517

Alright thanks for the help. Can't wait to get it done as soon Qs I piece it all together.

The passenger brake line on sn95 has to be changed to fox set up doesn't it?

dvuspny
¯
Member # 10949

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for dvuspny  Ford pictures for dvuspny    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Front and rear Sn95 calipers.brackets.hoses.brake rotors.and even pads...all for $200.- Cleaned. Primed.and high temp. Painted and ready to go! Lemme know.

[ February 02, 2012, 01:10 AM: Message edited by: dvuspny ]

--------------------
* -DV8- from the just the "norm." *
DVUS MOTORSPORTS ALBUM - http://s1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa349/Dvus_Motorsports/

Posts: 1221 | From: ~BAY AREA~ | Registered: May 2011  |  :
93lx4cyl
¯
Member # 10517

quote:
Originally posted by dvuspny:
Front and rear Sn95 calipers.brackets.hoses.brake rotors.and even pads...all for $200.- Cleaned. Primed.and high temp. Painted and ready to go! Lemme know.

Would sn95 axles work for that set up on the back ? Aren't they longer than fox axles?

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com