Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Spun Rod? HELP ME!!! video (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Spun Rod? HELP ME!!! video
Smoked50
¯
Member # 9592

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smoked50  Ford pictures for Smoked50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was cruising about 70 on the freeway, everything is fine exited and got to the house parked the car and this noise came out of nowhere while idling. please help me and tell me its not a rod knock. the car has cobra rotating assembly, supercharged, forged rods pistons crank. no money was spared building it so I'm stumped as to why this could happen, good oil and coolant.

click on pics for the video, sorry for bad quality
 -

-

[ January 21, 2012, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: Smoked50 ]

--------------------
1993 4 Cyl - 68 RWHP

I live my life a quarter mile at a time. For those 25 seconds or less, I'm free.

Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Holy Shit bro.. I dont know with modular motors but my fox one time did that same noise and thank god it was just one of my rockers loose. gluck

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

Slowmo
¯
Member # 9712

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Slowmo  Ford pictures for Slowmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Drain the oil and look for metal shavings. God damn bro its very loud.

--------------------
MEMBER OF TEAM FAST

04 MACH1 thats down from a stop
Honda Technician

Boss 327
¯
Member # 9143

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boss 327  Ford pictures for Boss 327    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That sounds like the valvetrain.

Pull those valve covers asap and im sure you'll find your problem.

--------------------
"You'll never truly understand building engines until you can make power N/A. FI overshadows an engines defficiency." Al Papito

triple b
¯
Member # 8763

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for triple b  Ford pictures for triple b    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if a rocker gets loose it will feel like you lost a lot of power

--------------------
1988 4cyl conv 306 HCI "sasha"
2004 tahoe
Sold- 87 GT, 72 chevelle, 63 biscane, 82 monte carlo, 73 nova, 88 silverado,

Posts: 1730 | From: sacramento ca | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
Smoked50
¯
Member # 9592

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smoked50  Ford pictures for Smoked50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So check oil for metal shavings means its the rods, or it could be my valve train or rockers, you guys think its to loud to be the rods? I did lose a lot of power, the car doesn't even want to move, it struggles to even stay on so I just shut her off and let her be before I tear something else up. I'm just praying the entire motor didn't blow, fingers crossed.

--------------------
1993 4 Cyl - 68 RWHP

I live my life a quarter mile at a time. For those 25 seconds or less, I'm free.

Boss 327
¯
Member # 9143

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boss 327  Ford pictures for Boss 327    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Smoked50:
So check oil for metal shavings means its the rods, or it could be my valve train or rockers, you guys think its to loud to be the rods? I did lose a lot of power, the car doesn't even want to move, it struggles to even stay on so I just shut her off and let her be before I tear something else up. I'm just praying the entire motor didn't blow, fingers crossed.

broken valve spring, follower came off, ect. I wouldnt run it anymore in case you dropped a valve.

--------------------
"You'll never truly understand building engines until you can make power N/A. FI overshadows an engines defficiency." Al Papito

Smoked50
¯
Member # 9592

[/QUOTE]broken valve spring, follower came off, ect. I wouldnt run it anymore in case you dropped a valve. [/QB][/QUOTE]

How much would a broken valve spring or follower run me roughly. Motor needs to get torn if i dropped a valve so I hope thats not it, looks like I'm going to have to tear open the car. going to get it towed tomorrow so still crossing my fingers. definitely not running the car anymore, it was on for about 30 seconds and shut off.

--------------------
1993 4 Cyl - 68 RWHP

Boss 327
¯
Member # 9143

quote:

broken valve spring, follower came off, ect. I wouldnt run it anymore in case you dropped a valve. [/QUOTE]

How much would a broken valve spring or follower run me roughly. Motor needs to get torn if i dropped a valve so I hope thats not it, looks like I'm going to have to tear open the car. going to get it towed tomorrow so still crossing my fingers. definitely not running the car anymore, it was on for about 30 seconds and shut off. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Are you doing it yourself or taking it to a shop?

Replacing a spring or follower is not expensive but the labor can be.

[ January 22, 2012, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: Boss 327 ]

--------------------

Smoked50
¯
Member # 9592

I don't trust myself with this motor so it'll probably go to Daniel's shop in San Ramon unless I get some free time

--------------------
1993 4 Cyl - 68 RWHP

Smoked50
¯
Member # 9592

thanks for all the help guys, looks like I'm going to drain the oil and look for shavings, hopefully there aren't any then I can move on to broken valve springs and pray that a valve didn't drop into the cylinder. Party at my house if I just have to replace the valve spring and resurface the heads! I'll spend the money I saved on booze!

--------------------
1993 4 Cyl - 68 RWHP

louisiana96
¯
Member # 9967

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for louisiana96  Ford pictures for louisiana96    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
thanks for all the help guys, looks like I'm going to drain the oil and look for shavings, hopefully there aren't any then I can move on to broken valve springs and pray that a valve didn't drop into the cylinder. Party at my house if I just have to replace the valve spring and resurface the heads! I'll spend the money I saved on booze!

[worship] [worship] that's the right way to thank people lol good luck

--------------------
96gt
Slow.6

Aka: what96

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

You know, if it dropped a valve, there's a good chance it screwed up the piston.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
Smoked50
¯
Member # 9592

quote:
Originally posted by wilit:
quote:

You know, if it dropped a valve, there's a good chance it screwed up the piston.
thats why I'm praying lol if I dropped a valve then I'm going to end up spending way more than I can afford right now

--------------------
1993 4 Cyl - 68 RWHP

Slowmo
¯
Member # 9712

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Slowmo  Ford pictures for Slowmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does the car have after market cams. It's honestly does sound like valve train.

--------------------
MEMBER OF TEAM FAST

04 MACH1 thats down from a stop
Honda Technician

SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What grade oil is being used??

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
Smoked50
¯
Member # 9592

quote:
Originally posted by Slowmo:
Does the car have after market cams. It's honestly does sound like valve train.

it has crower stage 3 blower cams, what does that have to do with it? I'll trade you a 6 pack for some diagnostic work lol [Cool]

motor has about 20k miles, a couple years back a shop redid the valve guides,valve job, resurfaced heads, forged piston, rod, crank, ARP head stud set, crower valve spring and retainer kit, ferrea stainless steel valve set 1MM. 42 lb injectors 2004 cobra tank with dual pumps and msd voltage booster to compensate, and it's blown

[ January 23, 2012, 01:07 AM: Message edited by: Smoked50 ]

--------------------
1993 4 Cyl - 68 RWHP

Smoked50
¯
Member # 9592

quote:
Originally posted by SLOWSN95:
What grade oil is being used??

WD40 LOL

5-30 synthetic

--------------------
1993 4 Cyl - 68 RWHP

triple b
¯
Member # 8763

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for triple b  Ford pictures for triple b    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pull the dam valve cover already!
Posts: 1730 | From: sacramento ca | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Alright.. 5w-30 isn't that bad. Id still say you should run 5w-20. Thicker isn't always better. You don't have an aftermarket oil pressure gauge do you? Your stock one is showing you have good oil pressure. If that oil pressure gauge is accurate, I would assume its something valvetrain related.

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im assuming this is a mod motor. not knowing a tremendous amount about these, but was wondering when the shop did the work how much of the timing chain tensioner/guides were replace? i've seen imports where some of the chain parts come loose or officially "give" and make a rod knock noise. just another idea to throw at you.
Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
Smoked50
¯
Member # 9592

Hey guys sorry I never updated. We pulled off the valve cover on the passenger side where the noise was coming from and here's what I found. valve dropped in so here goes my next pay check on tearing apart the motor and finding out how much more damage I did.

-

--------------------
1993 4 Cyl - 68 RWHP

Smoked50
¯
Member # 9592

If anyone knows a shop that can hook it up BIG TIME on the labor then let me know. I need to get the car back up and running asap.

--------------------
1993 4 Cyl - 68 RWHP

JZTRK
¯
Member # 7641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JZTRK  Ford pictures for JZTRK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if can you move the valve freely you can get away with putting on a new spring I had this happen to a 4.0 sport track the spring compressor was the most expensive thing to buy @ 60.00

--------------------
ANY THING PAST FIRST AND IM BREAKING THE LAW !!!

1990 lx Hatch (sold) 2014 GT Track Pack (sold) 2016 GT350 (sold)
1 of 16 2019 kona blue GT350R

Posts: 771 | From: My 44 Magnum says HI | Registered: May 2007  |  :
Smoked50
¯
Member # 9592

quote:
Originally posted by JZTRK:
if can you move the valve freely you can get away with putting on a new spring I had this happen to a 4.0 sport track the spring compressor was the most expensive thing to buy @ 60.00

the valve is gone lol, and so is the rest of the valve spring. fell into the block or almost at least because I dont see the valve, but in the video its knocking, I didn't hear a piston hitting the valve

[ February 05, 2012, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: Smoked50 ]

--------------------
1993 4 Cyl - 68 RWHP

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com