Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Horsepower Guesstimate...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Horsepower Guesstimate...
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FivePTSlow  Ford pictures for FivePTSlow    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've never done one of these type of threads before, but I've been curious what my build might be producing, so I thought I'd let some of you guys chime in... so here's my build thus far:

All stock 116k mile engine h/c/i stock
Paxton SN 2000 Supercharger kit(type f fluid) with external oil filter and oil cooler
8 psi Upgraded Impeller(I have seen about 7.5 psi on my boost gauge)
76mm C&L MAF
Big K&N Cone Filter
2.5" Inlet Piping into Supercharger
3" Outlet Pipe from Supercharger
70mm BBK Throttle Body & Spacer
BBK Non Equal Length Shorty Headers
BBK 2.5" Off Road H Pipe
Flowmaster Delta 40 2.5" Mufflers
FMS 42lb Injectors
MSD 6al Box
MSD 8.5mm Wires
Electric Fan
Aluminum Radiator
Walbro 255lph In Tank Pump
Autolite Copper 24's Gapped @.038
Shell 91 Octane
Timing @ 8* Advanced

Other Info:
World Class T5
King Cobra Clutch
3.27:1 Gears
3g Alternator
192* Thermostat

Many new components including but not limited to barometric pressure sensor, EGR Valve, EGR Position Sensor, EGR Vacuum Solenoid, All Vacuum Lines, O2 Sensors, Fuel Pressure Regulator, Fuel Filter etc

From what I've read stock 5.0's typically put down somewhere between 180-200+ rwhp in pretty much stock form. One formula I ran across is 14.7+boost/14.7xHorsepower will give you an estimate.With this formula I would guess somewhere right around 300rwhp but seat of the pants dyno says it'd probably be more.

My last build was a 91 GT with Stock short block, b cam, windsor sr. heads, gt40 tubular intake, 70mm bbk throttle body & spacer, paxton sn 92 8+ psi, long tubes, off road exhaust, magnaflow mufflers, msd 6al, 4" power pipe, msd wires, stock clutch fan, viper spec t56, 3.73's etc and it made 407rwhp ran a best of 12.23@113 on cold drag radials

My other car runs mid/high 12's depending on temperature and my 5.0 feels like it would keep pace.

[ October 17, 2011, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: FivePTSlow ]

--------------------
2011 GT/CS 5.0 + Boost(Procharger)
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted
05 SRT-4 24PSI E-85 at least 50 million hp
07 Harley VROD NRS Stage 1

Posts: 1857 | From: Sacramento | Registered: May 2007  |  :
CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm guessing between 260-280RW....

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pushrodpoweredmustangs
'95 Cobra - small engine / small turbo -
'02 Excursion 7.3 - tow vehicle
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FivePTSlow  Ford pictures for FivePTSlow    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by CornOil_&_Boost:

This car definitely feels like it'S got more go then that. My SRT4 Dynos in the low 300whp and its a couple hundred pounds lighter than my Mustang, so if my Mustang could keep pace with it...

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

87#184saleen
¯
Member # 6276

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87#184saleen  Ford pictures for 87#184saleen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ill say 320hp

--------------------
R.I.P DAD 3/5/36 - 6/2/07
2004 PORSCHE CAYENNE S on 22”
2013 PORSCHE Panamera on 21”
1987 SALEEN #184
Member of R H P

FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

Other factors to consider:
Won a couple races including:

LS1 Z28 from a roll he actually hit WOT when I was behind him and I came around and passed him up like he was going out of style. Talked to him at the next light and he claims running a best of 13.1, but since he ran the 13.1 he had installed long tubes and an ls6 intake manifold.

03/04 Mach 1 from a roll we raced twice and the first time it was the same thing he came haulin ass right passed me didn't try to line up, so I caught and passed him. Then we lined up I waited for him to hit the throttle. Passed him no problems

01 Acura NSX This was a run the way a run should be we were at a red light I look over and he looks back and revvs, so I rev back. The light turns green and we go. Even with a little wheel spin and a slight grind on 1st to 2nd I statyed ahead of him the entire time. We raced to about 100 and I had him beat by a car or so and I had my gf in the car, so carrying an extra 120lbs over normal.

04 WRX STI from a roll on the freeway. I was cruising down the freeway in the fast lane going right about 65mph. This guy in an STI cuts over to my lane really quickly and proceeds to cut me off and barely misses hitting a car in the lane to my right. As soon as I seen him start to merge quiclky I down shifted and waited to see what he was going to do. As soon as he got into my lane he was on the throttle hard, so I nailed it, caught up, and passed him up. Then I slowed down to let him come up and try for a line up run, but he wouldn't come line up with me he stayed behind.

If my car can do all of this with under 300rwhp I'd be amazed and happy at the same time. I'm still building a new motor on the side that will be paired with all of my current components plus hci then it'll be insane [Smile]

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

CobraCoupe
¯
Member # 7233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobraCoupe  Ford pictures for CobraCoupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dyno will put all the guessing away.....

--------------------
1965 Mustang convertible
2004 Ford Lightning #0537

FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:
Originally posted by CobraCoupe:
dyno will put all the guessing away.....

Not planning on keeping this engine in long enough to dyno

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I dont know why you care since you are having so much fun with it but....

Guy on the internet quote "car went 12.47@112 2 months ago. Mods are 1 5/8 shorties, off road H-pipe, 2 1/2 cat back, 3:73's, SN2000 8 pounds of boost, and 26/10.50/15 ET streets. Everything else is completely stock, injectors, T-body, MAF, all stock."

So lets say 3400 pound daily driver weight mustang and 112mph trap speed...

Both calculators I run it through estimate 330-340rwhp

Dan

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:
Originally posted by turbo50:
I dont know why you care since you are having so much fun with it but....

Guy on the internet quote "car went 12.47@112 2 months ago. Mods are 1 5/8 shorties, off road H-pipe, 2 1/2 cat back, 3:73's, SN2000 8 pounds of boost, and 26/10.50/15 ET streets. Everything else is completely stock, injectors, T-body, MAF, all stock."

So lets say 3400 pound daily driver weight mustang and 112mph trap speed...

Both calculators I run it through estimate 330-340rwhp

Dan

Yeah I know what you mean. I'm having a blast. People talk smack about the Paxton SN Series, but this is my 2nd one and they're awesome especially at their low price point.

I was going to make a guess of 320-330whp on this setup based on all of the factors above which include seat of the pants dyno feel comparitive to known dyno whp cars that I own and have owned, and the contests above.

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by FivePTSlow:
quote:

This car definitely feels like it'S got more go then that. My SRT4 Dynos in the low 300whp and its a couple hundred pounds lighter than my Mustang, so if my Mustang could keep pace with it...
feels like and has is a matter of opinion...

I'm still sticking by my answer until you prove otherwise...

no one knows what your theory can deduce and what reality of the situation is...

take to the track and run a number or to a dyno and put up a number...either way..theory...

I hope you make you want but even 300RW foxes have seen low 12's..good example...Epik Mach....he's around 300RW (290-ish) and ran a 12.3....

[ October 11, 2011, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: CornOil_&_Boost ]

--------------------
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

Well if all it takes to smoke modified ls1's, acura nsx's, 03/04 mach 1's, and 04 wrx sti is 260-280whp then I feel sorry for all of them and happy for me

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

quote:
Well if all it takes to smoke modified ls1's, acura nsx's, 03/04 mach 1's, and 04 wrx sti is 260-280whp then I feel sorry for all of them and happy for me

exactly...just be happy it's fast enough to take down that list....good to go...how it perform is more important than horsepower

--------------------
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

I agree 100% thats why my srt and my old 5.0 only went to the dyno once each and only on big dyno events, so the runs were like $40. Track times are much more important to me than dyno sheets. As soon as I pick up some drag radials or slicks im gonna hit the track. Since all of 1st and 2nd have to be feathered and it'll still get loose in 3rd easily and chirps 4th on wot shifts taking it out on street tires would not do my ET justice, but I could see what my trap is like and have a good idea of Optimal ET with drag radials/slicks

[ October 11, 2011, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: FivePTSlow ]

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

quote:
I agree 100% thats why my srt and my old 5.0 only went to the dyno once each and only on big dyno events so the runs were like $40 track times are much more important to me than dyno sheets. As soon as I pick up some drag radials or slicks im gonna hit the track. Since all of 1st and 2nd have to be fearhered and itll still get loose in 3rd easily and chirps 4th on wot shifts taking it out on street tires would not do my et justice, but I could see what my trap is like and have a.vood idea of et with drag radials

a good set of 275/60/15 drag radials could help [Smile]

--------------------
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:
quote:
I agree 100% thats why my srt and my old 5.0 only went to the dyno once each and only on big dyno events so the runs were like $40 track times are much more important to me than dyno sheets. As soon as I pick up some drag radials or slicks im gonna hit the track. Since all of 1st and 2nd have to be fearhered and itll still get loose in 3rd easily and chirps 4th on wot shifts taking it out on street tires would not do my et justice, but I could see what my trap is like and have a.vood idea of et with drag radials

a good set of 275/60/15 drag radials could help [Smile]
Yeah I saw your post... With only 3.27 gearing I need some 275 50 15's though. I already have wheels to mount DR's/Slicks on and I'm actually going to the track tomorrow, but unfortunately those are a little too tall for my current setup

[ October 11, 2011, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: FivePTSlow ]

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

StreakMatt
¯
Member # 6257

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for StreakMatt  Ford pictures for StreakMatt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well since you have a Paxton SN2000 im Gonna guess......384.1 corrected rwhp. Have a buddie with a garage build similiar to yours and thats what he put out...

--------------------
Custom Blue '88 GT: Garage Built= MM&FF January 2012 Cover and Feature. Tuned by Bob Kurgan

Black '03 Cobra: 2.9 Whipple Tuned by Bob Kurgan

Posts: 1198 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

quote:
Originally posted by StreakMatt:
Well since you have a Paxton SN2000 im Gonna guess......384.1 corrected rwhp. Have a buddie with a garage build similiar to yours and thats what he put out...

damn..why you gotta put me out like that...????

I have heads and cam though so that gives me an extra 104.2 RW

[ October 11, 2011, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: CornOil_&_Boost ]

--------------------
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

StreakMatt
¯
Member # 6257

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for StreakMatt  Ford pictures for StreakMatt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

You know what I assumed he had a GT40 h/c/I like you. I will give him the benefit of the doubt and spot him the 4.1 rwhp.

My new guess will be 284.1 corrected rwhp [patriot]

--------------------
Custom Blue '88 GT: Garage Built= MM&FF January 2012 Cover and Feature. Tuned by Bob Kurgan

Black '03 Cobra: 2.9 Whipple Tuned by Bob Kurgan

Posts: 1198 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

quote:
quote:
quote:

You know what I assumed he had a GT40 h/c/I like you. I will give him the benefit of the doubt and spot him the 4.1 rwhp.

My new guess will be 284.1 corrected rwhp [patriot]

Yeah its hard on the streets..gt40s give me that little extra push

--------------------
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

Blubyu87gt
¯
Member # 9427

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blubyu87gt  Ford pictures for Blubyu87gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Best way to tell without a dyno is find out what gen that WC T5 is (so you can get an accurate torque capacity rating). And / the torque capacity of the clutch. Put some slicks on it and do a couple 4000 rpm clutch dumps and run it through 5th gear at WOT not granny shifting. If it breaks the clutch or trans then you know you have at least the max cap for the broken part!!!

(disclaimer: I am not responsible for anyones car breaking or tickets incurred by actually trying my horrible advise. However, if actually tried. Please YouTube so I can get a chuckle.)

--------------------
Make something idiot proof and you only find a new class of idiot!

Posts: 98 | From: Charleston, SC | Registered: Aug 2009  |  :
coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blubyu87gt:
Best way to tell without a dyno is find out what gen that WC T5 is (so you can get an accurate torque capacity rating). And / the torque capacity of the clutch. Put some slicks on it and do a couple 4000 rpm clutch dumps and run it through 5th gear at WOT not granny shifting. If it breaks the clutch or trans then you know you have at least the max cap for the broken part!!!

(disclaimer: I am not responsible for anyones car breaking or tickets incurred by actually trying my horrible advise. However, if actually tried. Please YouTube so I can get a chuckle.)

Youre laughs [Eek!]
coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
One convenient way to calculate the power potential offered by any supercharger is to take the power output of the normally aspirated motor and multiply it by the boost pressure as a function of atmospheric pressure . A normally aspirated motor runs @ an atmospheric pressure of 14.7 psi , all you have to do to double the power output of the motor (in theory) is to double the pressure to the motor. Meaning that if your normally aspirated motor produced 300 hp , all you have to do to reach 600 hp is to double the pressure or supply 14.7 psi of boost using a supercharger .If you supply only 7.35 psi of boost , you should see a corresponding power gain of roughly 50 percent since 7.35 psi is 50 percent of 14.7 psi. The simple math formula is as follows ; Supercharged hp= NA HPx boost pressure/14.7+1.

there you have it , anyone wanting an hp guesstimate . Its all there [patriot]

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Blower should add about 8-10 HP per poundof boost so if you are adding about 64-80hp. With your mods you are prolly putting down around 250 HP at the crank. Add the HP gain from the blower and you would be at 314-330 at the crank. You will loose about 15% through the drive train so that will put u at around 267-280 RWHP.

As mentioned above.. Pay a visit to the dyno and find out fer sure :-)

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

Thanks for all of the info guys. I doubt I will be dyno'ing this combo since my new engine should be ready pretty soon, but if I can find an inexpensive dyno event I might go just out of pure curiosity

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

2T0NE
Go 49ers
Member # 4216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2T0NE  Ford pictures for 2T0NE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my cafords dyno tells me 320hp

--------------------
Originally posted by x Raelsmar x:
Can't wait till the Giants lose tomorrow night so all you Giants fans are forced to shut the fuck up.

Posts: 14676 | From: 760 carlsbad | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com