Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » heavy vibration under load

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: heavy vibration under load
bentley mobs a stang
¯
Member # 11119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bentley mobs a stang  Ford pictures for bentley mobs a stang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I recently replaced my motor mounts after getting new gears. After installing the vibration is way worse. I installed convertable mounts in the front and a urethane mount in the rear. In neutral and in gear with the clutch disengaged (pedal pushed in) there is no vibration, even while revving the motor. But when there is torque going to the tranny the vibration is heavy. It feels like its rubbing up against the body right under me and when I coast it goes away. I've tightened every part of the tranny mount nice and snug with lock washers, and I doubt its my driveshaft considering it goes away when I coast. Any ideas on what else it could be? The heavier I accelerate, the heavier the vibration.

--------------------
We're here for a good time, not a long time.

Captain Obvious
¯
Member # 7842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Obvious  Ford pictures for Captain Obvious    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
since you did have gears replaced i would look into the driveshaft area first. could be as simple as re-clocking the driveshaft, see if that helps, also check if the U-joints are going bad.....or look into your engines balancer taking a shit (separating)

[ October 03, 2011, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: 68stanger ]

--------------------
It's NOT illegal. It's just frowned upon, like masturbating on an airplane.

bentley mobs a stang
¯
Member # 11119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bentley mobs a stang  Ford pictures for bentley mobs a stang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The vibration was low until I swapped the mounts. I feel like u joints and driveshaft would give me a vibration too. Am I right?

--------------------

VendicatedSN95
¯
Member # 10671

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VendicatedSN95  Ford pictures for VendicatedSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
X2 on the u-joints but sounds like a driveline angle issue to me.
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ive found that the trans rear input shaft sleeve behind the seal normally is shot.
blown95svt
¯
Member # 8893

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blown95svt  Ford pictures for blown95svt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm with Duncan, now you feel it more cause you have fresh mounts and that uerathane rear.

--------------------
95 cobra blown 331 gr40 suspension
***NEED QUALITY WORK FOR HALF THE PRICE? I DO SIDE JOBS! PM FOR DETAILS***
www.norcalmotorcompany.com

Posts: 1434 | From: roseville | Registered: Jan 2009  |  :
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Reclock your driveshaft and if that doesnt help look into new u joints your driveshaft is now spinning noticeably faster with the gear swap.

Also if it was the harmonic balancer it would do it in neutral at a stop with the clutch in.

Dan

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ive heard this a couple times but dont think it matters a bit. to reclock your drive shaft? it should be balanced at any position or clocking. ive never had a problem cause of a unclocked drive shaft. just my experience with over thousands of drive shafts installs.not tryin to step on any bodys toes with this comment, i just believe its a waste of time.
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

i can change that sleeve for a hundred bucks to, if u buy the sleeve and the seal. if that ends up bein ur problem.
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just something that has helped me in the past but I dont think Ive installed thousands of driveshafts it is free to try, however.

Anyway take it to Duncan let him replace your rear trans bushing and it sounds like this will be the end of your problem.

Learn something new everyday. I guess I just have to deal with the fact that T5s are pushing 30 years old now and I guess other than grenading third gear, other parts do wear out.

Report back after Duncan replaces this bushing so we can all know what the prognosis is and maybe save some frustration down the road.

Dan

--------------------

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

And I still say it is the u joints. I always mark driveshafts after I remove them just as a precaution.

It has something to do with all the u joints being in the same plane when referenced to the splines in the transmission etc etc. It was something I read on spicers tech forum years ago.......

Here is some good reading as well with regards to pinion angles and such....to do with driveshaft harmonics.

Again, I am not saying the tailshaft bushing isnt causing your problem, I am just brain storming along with you and others.

http://www.hotrodhotline.com/md/html/drive_shaft_harmonics.php

--------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sure the engine isn't just mis-firing under load?

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

my brain just farted lol. i understand about that clocking thinga ma jigy lol. the u joint needle bearings can wear into a groove on a particular side in there cup, thus making sloop in that area. maybe moving or clocking the drive shaft can put the under load needle bearings in the unworn spot thus clearing up the slop. that makes sense. and then u really just need new u joints like u already stated.good possibility. its all we can do from the other side of the computer screen is brain storm lol.
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

quote:
Originally posted by Duncan Motors:
my brain just farted lol. i understand about that clocking thinga ma jigy lol. the u joint needle bearings can wear into a groove on a particular side in there cup, thus making sloop in that area. maybe moving or clocking the drive shaft can put the under load needle bearings in the unworn spot thus clearing up the slop. that makes sense. and then u really just need new u joints like u already stated.good possibility. its all we can do from the other side of the computer screen is brain storm lol.

On the real he should just take it to you and have you replace that sloppy tail bushing and install new spicers and never look back if that is his issue.

I aint got time. Im only on here when Im at work sittin at my desk or Im takin a break after workin on a car or it is too late to run the air compressor.

Dan

--------------------

bentley mobs a stang
¯
Member # 11119

Thanks for all the replies.

Blind- definately not misfiring. Id pick up on that in a ny minute. Understandable to suspect that, but not applicable to my mustangs symptom.

Dan and Duncan- when I pulled my driveshaft during the gear swap I noticed some wear on the yoke, but didn't make the connection. I pulled the upper boot off my shifted and its the front of the drive shaft hitting my floor board. Can't see it, but its obvious is u proportion the location to where my noise is coming from. I'm gunna reclock the shaft to see if I get better results. Never used to think it made a difference either even tho I mark it during removal anyways, but Dan makes a lot of sense. Regardless I'm gunna send my driveshaft to driveline specialties in san leandro to get balanced, new u joints and yoke. And I'm also gunna buy the new bushing to prevent damage to my new yoke. My friend apparently has the tool to pull it out and knock it back in. I'll let u guys know how it goes. I miss driving that. My silverado daily driver is fuckin boring

--------------------

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Great to hear. Let us know if this solves ur problems

--------------------

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

ccooooool!

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com