Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » How hard is it to replace both air bags

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: How hard is it to replace both air bags
04mustanggtkibby
¯
Member # 4202

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04mustanggtkibby  Ford pictures for 04mustanggtkibby    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hi my cars air bags went off and was wondering how hard u think it is to replace them for a 04 gt and i heard there was a sensor i have to replace also so not to sure... any help or more info would be nice thanks.

--------------------
-Ford For Life-

Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greasy  Ford pictures for Greasy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did they go off from a car accident or did they just go off?

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

Posts: 3272 | From: North Dallas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
MUSTTANGUY
¯
Member # 2251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MUSTTANGUY  Ford pictures for MUSTTANGUY  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Very easy
drivers side has two small round covers over the bolts on each side of steering wheel (8mm 5/16) unplug connector and pull bag out of steering wheel
Passenger side, drop the glove box all the way down and there will be two bolts on the crossbar of the dash (8mm 5/16) unplug connector and slide bag out.
The airbag module is located on top of transmission tunnel behind the radio, unbolt and unplug and slide out (tight fit)

You need to change both bags along with control module, you will also need to check fuse box fuse for airbag system as it will blow sometimes.

Make sure impact sensors in front are not damaged !!

[ September 21, 2011, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: MUSTTANGUY ]

--------------------
Tim (Musttanguy)
97 5.0 coupe
82 GT 427/T56/9"

04mustanggtkibby
¯
Member # 4202

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04mustanggtkibby  Ford pictures for 04mustanggtkibby    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Greasy:
Did they go off from a car accident or did they just go off?

I wasnt in a car colision but i was parked in a parking lot and forgot there was a concrete divider under the car cause only some spots had them and when i went over it bam they went off... i know im dumb lol

--------------------
-Ford For Life-

04mustanggtkibby
¯
Member # 4202

quote:
Originally posted by MUSTTANGUY:
Very easy
drivers side has two small round covers over the bolts on each side of steering wheel (8mm 5/16) unplug connector and pull bag out of steering wheel
Passenger side, drop the glove box all the way down and there will be two bolts on the crossbar of the dash (8mm 5/16) unplug connector and slide bag out.
The airbag module is located on top of transmission tunnel behind the radio, unbolt and unplug and slide out (tight fit)

You need to change both bags along with control module, you will also need to check fuse box fuse for airbag system as it will blow sometimes.

Make sure impact sensors in front are not damaged !!

Thanks is there any specific places to look for these sensors im not even sure what they would look like.... i didnt hit anything head on it was just from the impact of the car slamming on the concrete divider under the car behind the front tires

--------------------
-Ford For Life-

MUSTTANGUY
¯
Member # 2251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MUSTTANGUY  Ford pictures for MUSTTANGUY  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The impact sensors are on top of the radiator core support.
If this was a suspension collision then they will be fine.

--------------------
Tim (Musttanguy)
97 5.0 coupe
82 GT 427/T56/9"

04mustanggtkibby
¯
Member # 4202

quote:
Originally posted by MUSTTANGUY:
The impact sensors are on top of the radiator core support.
If this was a suspension collision then they will be fine.

OK thanks i got my car on a life just a min ago and couldnt find them for the death of me ill have to give it a look.

--------------------
-Ford For Life-

04mustanggtkibby
¯
Member # 4202

lift* not life

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com