Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » *here goes nothing** advice???

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: *here goes nothing** advice???
88FOX
¯
Member # 9969

Ford Icon 4 posted      Profile for 88FOX  Ford pictures for 88FOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Alright so im in a fukd up position right now usualy i just wait for my brothers help because hes a mechanic but im in a hole right now and having my car broke down is making it worse so i dont have time for him to have time.. that make sense.... Anyways lost my job guna be broke soon plus i have to move by the 5th.. haha lifes great right... Need my car up so i can make it around to apply at some hvac shops.. so im doing my head gasket alone and have never really touched the top end before im looking for advice as far as what kind of problems can i be expecting maybe and how to prepare so if anyone could put advice up id apreciate it. Stock top end. Wish me luck! [patriot]
88FOX
¯
Member # 9969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88FOX  Ford pictures for 88FOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
And as far as tools go anything special?? I have the basics but i know alot of people that i can barrow from if need be.also im on a very tight budget

[ August 19, 2011, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: 88FOX ]

Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Your best bet is to get a haynes repair manual. If you can follow directions you can do your head gaskets without issues.

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2004 GT, vortech V2 si, 10 psi-
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Posts: 3432 | From: 707 vallejo/richmond 510 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  :
88FOX
¯
Member # 9969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88FOX  Ford pictures for 88FOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by sydewayzLX50:
Your best bet is to get a haynes repair manual. If you can follow directions you can do your head gaskets without issues.

I have one somewere ill grab it.. was lookin to you guys for tips and tricks.. anyone thats done it 100 times would no the easy route.. only thing im scared of right now would be the distributor and the fuel rails

[ August 19, 2011, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: 88FOX ]

JBeezy53
CAFords OG
Member # 3960

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JBeezy53  Ford pictures for JBeezy53    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 88FOX:
quote:

I have one somewere ill grab it.. was lookin to you guys for tips and tricks.. anyone thats done it 100 times would no the easy route.. only thing im scared of right now would be the distributor and the fuel rails
It's pretty straight forward, just follow the manual. If you are unfamiliar with how a distributor works just make sure you mark how it's clocked in relation to hold down. As for the fuel rails just carefully move them out the way and away from the motor if you do not have the proper tools to disconnect the lines.

It's actually fairly simple.... I assume you are just throwing new gaskets on? Do you have new head bolts and a good torque wrench?

[ August 19, 2011, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: JBeezy53 ]

--------------------
89 Gt
98 Cobra
88 Notch
05 GSXR 750 Blk/Yel

Posts: 1782 | From: Sacramento, Ca | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
95gtdrop
¯
Member # 7478

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 95gtdrop  Ford pictures for 95gtdrop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Fuel tails are cake. Remove the retaining bolts and pop em out one at a time. Take tour time, I always take pics of each step, that way you know what wires connect where when your re assembling. You shouldn't have to remove the distributer, but if so make a mark on the block and on the cap where it was pointing. Itl slide right back in when it's time. Disconnect the batt. Drain the radiator. Have an old Torwll to cover the internals while the heads off. Scrape up all the debris on block.

--------------------
1997 SVT cobra SOLD;(
2004 SVT Cobra Vert

Posts: 1221 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2007  |  :
Captain Obvious
¯
Member # 7842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Obvious  Ford pictures for Captain Obvious    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its a remove and replace type of job using basic hand tools. The only thing you should know Is the torque seq and how to bring your engine piston #1 back to tdc (Top Dead Center)other then that, just make sure all sealing surfaces are clean and free of oil/dirt...use brake cleaner and a clean rag

--------------------
It's NOT illegal. It's just frowned upon, like masturbating on an airplane.

Blubyu87gt
¯
Member # 9427

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blubyu87gt  Ford pictures for Blubyu87gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Make sure you have at least 5 things available.

1) something to help you remember how to reassemble the motor. IE: camera or sharpie and tape. Any knuckle head can take a motor apart... Putting it together correctly is the hard part.

2) A breaker bar. The head bolts are a bitch to loosen without.

3) A torque wrench. Pretty obvious reason.

4) The book helps but if you have a friend (even better if they know what they are doing)to help that would be good.

5) Patients. Its most likely going to piss you off to no end at least once. Just take your time and walk away when it does.

[ August 19, 2011, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: Blubyu87gt ]

--------------------
Make something idiot proof and you only find a new class of idiot!

Posts: 98 | From: Charleston, SC | Registered: Aug 2009  |  :
88FOX
¯
Member # 9969

quote:
Originally posted by 68stanger:
Its a remove and replace type of job using basic hand tools. The only thing you should know Is the torque seq and how to bring your engine piston #1 back to tdc (Top Dead Center)other then that, just make sure all sealing surfaces are clean and free of oil/dirt...use brake cleaner and a clean rag

i keep reading about the tdc.. now my question is can i bring the piston to tdc with the distributor still in the motor then mark and remove it? just so i dont have to mess with timing...
Blubyu87gt
¯
Member # 9427

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blubyu87gt  Ford pictures for Blubyu87gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You will have to mess with timing either way. Even if you stab the distributor correctly it will be at least a few degrees off and on need of adjustment. Unless you're really lucky.

--------------------
Make something idiot proof and you only find a new class of idiot!

Posts: 98 | From: Charleston, SC | Registered: Aug 2009  |  :
Captain Obvious
¯
Member # 7842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Obvious  Ford pictures for Captain Obvious    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blubyu87gt:
You will have to mess with timing either way. Even if you stab the distributor correctly it will be at least a few degrees off and on need of adjustment. Unless you're really lucky.

+1 its not hard at all to re-do the timing. Chevy, ford, dodge, etc, its all the same procedure for initially setting up the distributor (different firing order of course) real simple basic shit, not difficult at all.

If your not sure how to do the timing or bringing it to tdc google/youtube it, Ford 5.0L are one of easiest fuel injection motors to work on IMO

--------------------
It's NOT illegal. It's just frowned upon, like masturbating on an airplane.

88FOX
¯
Member # 9969

are new head bolts a must?
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

IMO it all depends. No its not mandatory but i recommend it. If youre low on cash or dont beat the shit out of your motor you should be ok to reuse them.

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2004 GT, vortech V2 si, 10 psi-
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Posts: 3432 | From: 707 vallejo/richmond 510 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  :
nasty93
¯
Member # 8935

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nasty93  Ford pictures for nasty93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
take your time and get a manual.make sure u have all your gaskets ahead of time.
Posts: 464 | From: windsor ,ca | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
707clone
¯
Member # 10342

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 707clone  Ford pictures for 707clone  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

IMO it all depends. No its not mandatory but i recommend it. If youre low on cash or dont beat the shit out of your motor you should be ok to reuse them.
+1 i got sumexcelent condition used ones from a buddy of mines!!

--------------------
Maybe I should get drunk off my HATERADE elsewhere?

I was slow to take the hint, so I'm taking a break from CAFords for the rest of the month. Now excuse me while I enjoy some cereal. Mmmmm Mmmmm good. Who else wants to join me?

Lil Ric!
R.I.P CHARLIE HUSTLE!

91gt p heads,b cam,3:55s,exhaust
89 coupe just startin on him

Posts: 2614 | From: v a dubble | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
SAV650HAB
¯
Member # 10324

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SAV650HAB  Ford pictures for SAV650HAB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
handle it pimp" [patriot] get her back on the road [burnout]

--------------------
SAVAGE HABITS 'CAR CLUB' VP 650/510/707/209
NOR-CAL KINGZ....... YAH 2 CHAINZ!!!!!!
"WE OUT HERE" 7th ST....STEP IT UP A NOTCH
88 coupe FTW!

Posts: 5091 | From: SHOREVIEW E.S SAN MATEO | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com