Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 5.0 swap

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 5.0 swap
85TTOP
¯
Member # 9536

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 85TTOP  Ford pictures for 85TTOP    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So im doing a 4 cyl to v8 swap. I got the light harness engine harness and everything is plugged everything is ready to go all grounds and everything bt i dnt get any spark in the distributor or ignition coil. The computer was changed as well. Dont know what to do any more i was thinking it might be the distributor or the control module bt no leads. Need your guys help. Any suggestions?
Turbizzy
¯
Member # 5620

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Turbizzy  Ford pictures for Turbizzy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If everything was plugged in correctly and you have no spark then maybe your TFI is bad.
triple b
¯
Member # 8763

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for triple b  Ford pictures for triple b    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You didnt need the light harness...you need from the computer to the engine injectors it will plug into the existing 4 cyl harness coming from the driver side. the alternator wire is long enought to stretch too could be grounds...grounds are very important make sure your engine is grounded two in the back of block to the engine bay and one from the battery

--------------------
1988 4cyl conv 306 HCI "sasha"
2004 tahoe
Sold- 87 GT, 72 chevelle, 63 biscane, 82 monte carlo, 73 nova, 88 silverado,

Posts: 1730 | From: sacramento ca | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
85TTOP
¯
Member # 9536

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 85TTOP  Ford pictures for 85TTOP    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The 4cyl harness didnt work at all didnt plug in so had to get everything v8 . Its weird the driver side harness is till 4 cyl bt the one to the computer i changed
85TTOP
¯
Member # 9536

The tfi is fine replace like 3 of them and a different distributor and nuthing. dnt kno what to do do anymore
AIRFORMANCE MOBILE AUTO A/C 707
¯
Member # 6243

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AIRFORMANCE MOBILE AUTO A/C 707  Ford pictures for AIRFORMANCE MOBILE AUTO A/C 707    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hopefully blind will respond

--------------------
1993 red cobra
1973 celica chevy 406/t5/narrow 9
1969 camaro
1992 lx hatch

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
when you turn the key, the eec relay turns on, which then the eec (computer) turns the fuel pump relay on for a second, which primes the fuel pump.

if the fuel pump isn't priming, you won't be getting spark because for whatever reason the eec isn't turning on.

stick your head in the passenger foot well and listen when you turn the key to run, if the eec relay doesn't click on, you need to figure out why.

what year car, and what year harness's were used? Is every plug in the passenger foot well hooked up, including the ground wire for the eec harness?

[ July 14, 2011, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: Blind ]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
triple b
¯
Member # 8763

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for triple b  Ford pictures for triple b    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
OK heres the deal 88 4 cyl needs a 88 8 cyl harness, 89 4 cyl is 89 8 cyl harness 90-93 i think are the same. What you may have is crossed wires in the harness you can use what you have but your going to have to chase and re pin the wire into the correct hole in the wire harness to work properly......that if you have a mismatched wire harness

--------------------
2004 tahoe

triple b
¯
Member # 8763

What computer r u using , is it a mass air harness,. I have done this swap on my 88 coupe and It actually passed smog legit last year as a 5.0.

--------------------
2004 tahoe

MUSTTANGUY
¯
Member # 2251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MUSTTANGUY  Ford pictures for MUSTTANGUY  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Need more specifics in order to help diagnose problem
As mentioned need year of car, year of harnesses, which computer was used, etc.
If you don't know what year harness I can help identify with some connector indicators.
There is some incompatibility between different year harnesses.
CA 1988-1989 is essentially the same harness (88 used e rectangular connector for the one year only Zenith MAF meter)
1990 is it's own
1991-early 92 is it's own
Mid 1992-1993 is it's own
There are also differences in o2 sensor harnesses between 88-90 and 91-93 automatic and 5 speed
Need to insure you are not chasing an incompatibity problem first and then can proceed. to other tests to trace down possible issues.

--------------------
Tim (Musttanguy)
97 5.0 coupe
82 GT 427/T56/9"

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com