Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » cooling fan motor blew out..need suggestions

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: cooling fan motor blew out..need suggestions
gq916
¯
Member # 8540

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gq916  Ford pictures for gq916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
smoke was coming from my fan motor and my car is starting to overheat a little bit..i called tousley ford and they said the 96 cobra fan motor assembly has been discontinued and the 03 cobra assembly would fit but might require some electrical modifications...
has anybody replaced their fan motor assembly on their 96-98 cobra ? thanks

--------------------
Zinc Yellow 2003 Mach1
Maximum Motorsport Suspension

White 1996 Cobra-Sold 3/2013
Tuned by ForceFed
AED Dyno 308rwhp 283rwtq SAE

Posts: 306 | From: sacramento | Registered: Jul 2008  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
for direct replacement, a 1997-2004 mustang GT fan will work, I have to imagine the cobra ones are all also the same.

a lincoln mark8 fan also plugs in, but does require a bit of trimming to the fan shroud of the mark8 fan, and you'll need to figure out how to secure the fan to the radiator, I used zip-ties in a pinch.

I ran the mark8 fan zip tied tightly to the radiator for 3 years, I recently swapped in a 2000 Mustang GT fan and it bolted and plugged in like stock.

the mark8 fan noticeably threw a LOT more air than the mustang gt fan does now. I only used it because I had a spare in the garage and my stock fan did the same thing yours did, fan motor went up in smoke when it locked up.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
93ReefBlue5.0
¯
Member # 5780

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93ReefBlue5.0  Ford pictures for 93ReefBlue5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the '96 fan has been discontinued for a couple years.. i was unaware that the 03/04 cobra fan would fit.... thought it was like the 97-up which require a different radiator/mounts.

i bought a new cooling fan for my '96 from rockauto. yes, it's not an OEM part but it does the job. i am always on the lookout for a used OEM one though..

Posts: 1535 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
Camara90
1%
Member # 134

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camara90  Ford pictures for Camara90  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get a Mark 8 fan, shit is no joke. I love mine, it cools the car down way better than a black magic i had on my old car.

--------------------
92GT,stock short block,9:1 TFS 170's,perf rpm,custom cam,1 5/8 shorties,C4 trans.
std. 356hp, 350tq
11.85@111.9mph on motor.

gq916
¯
Member # 8540

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gq916  Ford pictures for gq916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'll have to look into the mark 8 one, i just wanted something that i could just install without any modifications..rockauto has the the whole assembly and the fan motor by itself..should i just buy the fan motor alone or the whole thing?

--------------------
Zinc Yellow 2003 Mach1
Maximum Motorsport Suspension

White 1996 Cobra-Sold 3/2013
Tuned by ForceFed
AED Dyno 308rwhp 283rwtq SAE

Posts: 306 | From: sacramento | Registered: Jul 2008  |  :
Blubyu87gt
¯
Member # 9427

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blubyu87gt  Ford pictures for Blubyu87gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Make sure, if you go with without the mk8 fan you have a good enough charge system to power it. Thing is hungry for electricity!
Posts: 98 | From: Charleston, SC | Registered: Aug 2009  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com