Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » so i was thinking... e85.

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: so i was thinking... e85.
OneFastHatch.
¯
Member # 9537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for OneFastHatch.  Ford pictures for OneFastHatch.  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i understand you can bump your timing up. but what if you already have a cam inside? how much more can you advance? what ratio would you need in the tank?

--------------------
1991 fobra (slow)

70mach351
¯
Member # 7528

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70mach351  Ford pictures for 70mach351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i havent heard of mxing e85. I ran it on a car before and ran just e85. my truck runs on e85 as well.

--------------------
70 Mach 1 gettin a make over
2001 Ford F250 Crew Cab 7.3

OneFastHatch.
¯
Member # 9537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for OneFastHatch.  Ford pictures for OneFastHatch.  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my friend has a stock 5.0 and does like... 9:1 ratio of e85 in his taqnk and bump his timiing up . shit runns maaad bro. i wanted to run pure e 85 in a fox can this be possible?

--------------------
1991 fobra (slow)

Chp23109
¯
Member # 10540

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chp23109  Ford pictures for Chp23109    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
maybe could be timing off by timing chain.. like dot to dot or 4*.. you know what im saying..

--------------------
Banned for violating everything from the anti-ghetto sign and what's written below it. And we were doing so good lately with these types of people too.
^^^^^^^
you read the above and this is your reply to us-

"Why I got ban. He talked me crab word to me. Hmmm lmk thank"

Seriously? Does yous gots ta ax Y? Der be de stuff written unda der no ghetto sign G. Readz iT, itz beez 'bout it bout it youz.

We're not even going to get into getting banned for making fake accounts here http://www.californiafords.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=recent_user_posts;u=00008902

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's basically used as a cheaper alternative to race gas by some people, it runs like 105.

But there's drawbacks, it returns at best 30% worse gas mileage than normal gas, and it will destroy any non-compatible rubber in your fuel system.

Basically you need to upgrade the fuel pump and injectors to something that flows at least 30% more than what you need with normal gas.

you also should have a dyno tune done to get the most power out of it, safely. Because it does require 30% more fuel delivered, but you can run a lot more timing.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
E85 burns slower than gasoline so you need to dial in more timing.
Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
Blubyu87gt
¯
Member # 9427

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blubyu87gt  Ford pictures for Blubyu87gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The eating away at the rubber hoses is partly true. E85 is slightly corrosive but really any car built after 85 can handle it. The bigger more common problem is it works like a super fuel system cleaner and can knock deposits loose in turn clogging stuff up.

That said I have been running 255 pump and 30# injectors with no other mods to the fuel system on mine for a bit over a year with no issues at all.

My other advise would be to get a tweecer or quarterhorse with the rotary switch to go between tunes just in case you can't find the E85 or want better gas mileage for longer trips.

Pure ethanol? There is no pure E85. It is 85% ethanol and 15% regular gas. Hence the name. That also depends on time of year as when its colder out its harder to start an ethanol powered vehicle so more gas is added. It never goes below 70% though. Seen as high as 90% in summer.

[ April 28, 2011, 08:35 AM: Message edited by: Blubyu87gt ]

Posts: 98 | From: Charleston, SC | Registered: Aug 2009  |  :
96mysticman
¯
Member # 8327

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 96mysticman  Ford pictures for 96mysticman    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blubyu87gt:
The eating away at the rubber hoses is partly true. E85 is slightly corrosive but really any car built after 85 can handle it. The bigger more common problem is it works like a super fuel system cleaner and can knock deposits loose in turn clogging stuff up.

That said I have been running 255 pump and 30# injectors with no other mods to the fuel system on mine for a bit over a year with no issues at all.

My other advise would be to get a tweecer or quarterhorse with the rotary switch to go between tunes just in case you can't find the E85 or want better gas mileage for longer trips.

Pure ethanol? There is no pure E85. It is 85% ethanol and 15% regular gas. Hence the name. That also depends on time of year as when its colder out its harder to start an ethanol powered vehicle so more gas is added. It never goes below 70% though. Seen as high as 90% in summer.

what about e100 than? [Confused]
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 96mysticman:
quote:
Originally posted by Blubyu87gt:

what about e100 than? [Confused]
I think he means e100 isn't sold at the pump.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
Blubyu87gt
¯
Member # 9427

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blubyu87gt  Ford pictures for Blubyu87gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Bingo^^^

Plus if he ran E100 it would be a major pain in the 4th point of contact to start and damn near impossible if it were cold out.

--------------------
Make something idiot proof and you only find a new class of idiot!

Posts: 98 | From: Charleston, SC | Registered: Aug 2009  |  :
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FivePTSlow  Ford pictures for FivePTSlow    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you really want to do e85 safely you'll need a fuel pump, injectors, and a wideband. E85 is great in my turbo car... i've been thinking about putting it in my 5.0 too, but i'd probably get like 5mpg

--------------------
2011 GT/CS 5.0 + Boost(Procharger)
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted
05 SRT-4 24PSI E-85 at least 50 million hp
07 Harley VROD NRS Stage 1

Posts: 1857 | From: Sacramento | Registered: May 2007  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com