Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 98 cobra cranks but won't start. Help please!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 98 cobra cranks but won't start. Help please!
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I changed the wires and coil packs on my 98 cobra. I followed the numbering sequence that was originally on the car when connecting my new wires but didnt realize that the previous owner used the incorrect numbered wires on each cylinder...so in short, I had my wires crossed.

Before realizing they were crossed I started the car and it started but was very rough. So I fixed the wires using the manual (which I shouldve done initially!) and everything is correct now. My issue is that the car will crank but it won't fire.

Any ideas? I was told my fuel lines could be flooded?

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

SnakeBit
¯
Member # 8871

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnakeBit  Ford pictures for SnakeBit    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Damn! I hope you figure it out before Friday.

--------------------
91 Coupe full M/M suspension
Maier WideBody
331 356 RWHP 357 RWTQ
Tuned by TPS MotorSports

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yea, tell me about it! Anyone have any ideas??

--------------------

rollin5ive0
¯
Member # 8592

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rollin5ive0  Ford pictures for rollin5ive0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
start from the top

1)spark?
2: fuel?
3/ compression?
its gotta have these to go find out which one your lacking... [Wink]

--------------------
875.0gt
90dtlx5.0
93blkvenumos5.0COBRA#3377
96redthundr4.6l4vCOBRA
964.6l2vGT
895.0lGT
93cleancorlgreen5.0GT
93meancoralgreen5.0GT

Posts: 1830 | From: 707 vacaville ca | Registered: Aug 2008  |  :
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Take to a shop an have them fix it.fuel rail do not flood engines flood fom to much fuel
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ok, still no luck. I checked for fuel and spark. Both are fine. I thought the engine was flooded so I let it sit for an hour. Then tried to start it with no luck again. I then let it sit for 3 hours and tried; no good.

What I'm going to do tonight is pull all the plugs out and let it sit overnight. Hopefully this will dry any excess fuel in the cylinders.

Anyone else hve any suggestions???

--------------------

jareds98gt
¯
Member # 7701

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jareds98gt  Ford pictures for jareds98gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sounds like your firing order is still wrong. is your theft light blinking??
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by jareds98gt:
sounds like your firing order is still wrong. is your theft light blinking??

Yea i actually think so too. Buddy of mine sent me a link to the "correct" firing order and it doesn't match the Chilton manual diagram. I'm going to try it in the morning.

As for the theft light, yes it's blinking. Does that relate to anything?

--------------------

a302juGRnot
¯
Member # 10163

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a302juGRnot  Ford pictures for a302juGRnot    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
try to lock and unlock your car with your remote since your theft light is on.

does your fuel pump turn on??

--------------------
H/C/I slammed and flushed NOTCHback

H/C/I 1995 mustang gt sold

Posts: 1646 | From: sacramento | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :
1fastmach1
¯
Member # 10137

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1fastmach1  Ford pictures for 1fastmach1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
SOUNDS LIKE UR CAMSHASFT POSTION SENSOR TOOK A SHIT

--------------------
REDLINE MOTORSPORTS CC EST 2011
1993 CHP sold
2004 mach 1 408 Windsor n20 fed
R.I.P. JORGE GUTIERREZ JR
6/13/1982- 11/05/2013

Posts: 2592 | From: clawwwitter to 7th st | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :
rollin5ive0
¯
Member # 8592

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rollin5ive0  Ford pictures for rollin5ive0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
come to think of it i had a similar situation if the firing order isnt the prob check the crankshaft pos. sensor with the camshaft pos sensor it will still start up alot of times but not with the ckp [Confused] good luck

--------------------
875.0gt
90dtlx5.0
96redthundr4.6l4vCOBRA
964.6l2vGT
895.0lGT
93cleancorlgreen5.0GT
93meancoralgreen5.0GT

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Problem solved! All I gotta say is fuck Chilton's manuals! Their Diagram was all wrong!

Seems that chilton had the wrong plug wire diagram so my wires were still incorrect. It's all good now and fired
Right up! Thanks Stangin [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------

rollin5ive0
¯
Member # 8592

just out of curiosity did it end up bein firing order for a two valve thats my guess...or were they jus really off base [patriot]

--------------------
875.0gt
90dtlx5.0
96redthundr4.6l4vCOBRA
964.6l2vGT
895.0lGT
93cleancorlgreen5.0GT
93meancoralgreen5.0GT

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Yea, the manual had the same wiring diagram fr 2v and 4v. The orientation of the plug wires onto the coil packs were pretty off!

--------------------

stangin'
¯
Member # 514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangin'  Ford pictures for stangin'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
Problem solved! All I gotta say is fuck Chilton's manuals! Their Diagram was all wrong!

Seems that chilton had the wrong plug wire diagram so my wires were still incorrect. It's all good now and fired
Right up! Thanks Stangin [Whoo Whooooo!]

right on bro. glad that diagram helped.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com