Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » possible 400rwhp?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: possible 400rwhp?
built95faleen
¯
Member # 8828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for built95faleen  Ford pictures for built95faleen  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
alright guys i have been building a 347 for a few years now. i have the short block done and the heads are getting touched up as we speak(afr 185s). i would love to have 400 to the wheels safely on pump gas, n/a. can this be done somewhat easily? and what components do you suggest to finish my combination.
built95faleen
¯
Member # 8828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for built95faleen  Ford pictures for built95faleen  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my biggest questions are about the cam and intake.
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Holley systemax intake "port matched", custom fti cam, long tubes with no cat h pipe and cat back, titanium keeper's and make sure the valve spring's are suitable for cam, underdrive pulley's, 75 mm TB with spacer, 80 mm pro m meter, msd box, 255 intank pump with 30 pound injector's.

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

built95faleen
¯
Member # 8828

already have the 30 pound injectors, maf, box etc.. i am running shorties however and really dont want to change that. i like the trick flow intakes and was wondering if anyone was running the r series on the street. also how much do custom cams run and are they worth it? do you guys think the my heads are good for that hp na?
Camara90
1%
Member # 134

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camara90  Ford pictures for Camara90  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you tell Ed your goals? If so, it souldnt be a problem. What are the cam specs? Also I would want bigger injetors, but they will work.

--------------------
92GT,stock short block,9:1 TFS 170's,perf rpm,custom cam,1 5/8 shorties,C4 trans.
std. 356hp, 350tq
11.85@111.9mph on motor.

built95faleen
¯
Member # 8828

most of the street driven n/a 347s im seeing are around 350-370ish. havent seen to many above that
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey bro, are you swapping the 331 for a 347? just wodnering if this is going into the car i'm thinking of... [Wink]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

Egocentric
¯
Member # 9529

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egocentric  Ford pictures for Egocentric    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The biggest factor to 400 RWHP, cam choice and what will be done to the heads.

--------------------
08 G37S
72 C10 Custom
R6

quote:
ain't no one tell me what to do. - NEIGHT

Posts: 1712 | From: NoOneTellMeWhatToDo-Neight | Registered: Oct 2009  |  :
copcar
¯
Member # 10113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for copcar  Ford pictures for copcar    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
400 is really no great feat but make sure you do it the right way. BTW, anything other than SAE correction factor does not count. Why?, STD correction is roughly 4% higher than SAE.
What MAF are you running?
What is being done to your heads?
Compresion ratio? Most guys with 4C+ run 10:1 - 10.5:1
Shorties will get you there but I would recommend 1 3/4 shorties.
Exhaust? 3" would probably be best but not necessarily mandatory.
Metal substrate cats if you are going o run any at all.
The 30's are the only real sticking point I have with your combination. 36's minimum. 42's would be ideal. You can cheat the 30's there with fuel pressure but I HIGHLY advise against it.

--------------------
12.37@ 109.34.NA 894DA Old Nitto 555 DR's Gt40 irons. B cam/1.7's, All emissions equipment on the car, stock air box. UPR catted X pipe.

CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobramanPhil  Ford pictures for CobramanPhil    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd say custom cam and perhaps some good work with the 185s you have, but the shorties are going to choke things off at this level. Go LTubes for sure at the very least.

Nothing wrong with the TF R intake....

Posts: 1016 | From: California, Bay Area | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If it were me...

- Make sure that motor has compression (10:1 - 10.5:1)

- For a street application, I'd do a RPMII intake and have it matched to the heads. For more of a race application, I'd do the shorter runner length intake from Edelbrock.

- Cam - Hi-Tech in Michigan. Tell them your expectations.

- Make sure you have the fuel (I'd use more injector than 30s)

After that, full exhaust, pulleys, CAI, 75mm TB, MAF, tune, and you should be there.

Plenty of guys have made 400-450rwhp with their NA 347 on pump gas

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
built95faleen
¯
Member # 8828

thanks guys. and yes sydeways its going the gts. the maf is a pro-m. im not sure of the type of fuel pump it has but what would be a minimum to supply this car? and the heads are just getting touched up(decked, lapping in the valves, checking guides and spring pressures you know that sort of thing). wasn't planning on doing any porting. and the compression is going to be around 10.5 to 1. maybe as high as 10.75.
need-a-cage
¯
Member # 5415

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for need-a-cage  Ford pictures for need-a-cage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would say more like 375rwhp. That will be a fast car though! It can run a high 11 with that power.

Get the custom cam. Mine was only $325 shipped. However, you will most likely need to get springs that match the cam. You should do this now so they can set up your new springs with the correct pressures that your custom cam guy specifies. I would get the Eddy II intake and shoot for 10:1 compression. That will get you really close with an electric fan and long tubes. The shorties will drop you down a little. To get over 400rwhp I think you have to start doing port work and use a really light valve train. Basically, spend lots of money. Off the shelf parts will get you damn close though. Mine only made 320rwhp but it still felt good and ran 12.30. It did have 355rwtq. It is much better with the blower though! This is a 9:1 motor with tiny heads, tiny intake, and a smog legal blower cam with shorty headers.

Good Luck!

--------------------
93 LX Hatch, Dart Big Bore 347, Edelbrock 6037's, Cobra intake, Tremec, S-trim, 60# injectors, Tweecer RT
10.84 @ 128.5mph

Posts: 606 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Mar 2005  |  :
forced331
¯
Member # 1270

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for forced331  Ford pictures for forced331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
For the intake I run a TFS-R on the street with a blower and has good street driveability. Below I attached a EFI intake flow rating (CFM) I found on the Corral.net forum. For N/A motors it is good to have close to the same intake cfm as to your heads.

Intake Avg CFM Source
Stock Upper 188 Dec 00 5.0 Mag "Power Naping"
Stock Lower 145-150 XSR Cylinder Heads SF600
tmoss lower 195 XSR Cylinder Heads SF600
Saleen/Vortech 180 Super Ford
GT40 205-210 Super Ford, Victory Engines
Cobra 205-210 Super Ford
Explorer 205-210 Victory Engines
Performer 220-225 Super Ford
Performer RPM 230 Victory Engines
TF Street Heat 245 Trick Flow
TF Track Heat 265 Trick Flow
TF R 290 Trick Flow
Victor Jr 320
Super Victor 375
Holley 300
Holley systemax II 259 (average)
Edelbrock RPM II 260 (average)

Posts: 1154 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: May 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com