Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » only half my brakes are working????

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: only half my brakes are working????
306 fifty
¯
Member # 6749

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 306 fifty  Ford pictures for 306 fifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
okay so i changed my fornt four lug set up to mark7 five lug set up but it seems like only half the pad is making contact with the disk why is that happening????
also with the rims that i put on it rubbs with the body why could that be happening i would post pics but i dont know how.

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you change calipers or just rotors?

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
306 fifty
¯
Member # 6749

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 306 fifty  Ford pictures for 306 fifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just calipers .the rotors look the same are they?
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
One of the following:

-Bad caliper
-Bad caliper pinbolt
-Contaminated brake pads (dirt, grease, oil on them)
-Air in lines or caliper

If you went from 4 to 5 lug and used the 73mm Lincoln Mark7 stuff...you changed both, right?

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

306 fifty
¯
Member # 6749

i just changed both rotors not the calipers im about to change the calipers today and bleed my brakes see if anything changes. is there a specific way to bleed the brake system? and how hard is it to swap the axels for the mark 7 to the stock 8.8 i have? i dont want to replace the whole rearend because i like the 3.73's i have but i do want the five lug set up in the rear too.
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ranger axles and drums for the rear.

Most likely one of your caliper pinbolts isn't aligned right or it's bent. If it worked before and you didn't open any brake lines during the install, it should work now.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

306 fifty
¯
Member # 6749

is there a reason why i cant use the disk brake setup from the mark 7 rear end and swap to the stock rearend?
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

You can use it, but you will not have the same wheel track. They will stick out farther than what you have now.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

306 fifty
¯
Member # 6749

so there wont be a problem with the installation of the disk brakes or anything that will have to be bolted to the rearend behind the diskbrakes??

and on another note how you been man it has been a while hows the family doing???? you ever going to come back to fairfield????

Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you put the lincoln rear disc in back you will need a bigger master cylinder and adjustable proportioning valve, you might be able to get away with stock booster but i doubt it. and it sounds like your front calipers arent sliding smoothly either lube the pins or replace.

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2004 GT, vortech V2 si, 10 psi-
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Posts: 3432 | From: 707 vallejo/richmond 510 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com