Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Boss 302 shortblock kit

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Boss 302 shortblock kit
Bent70
¯
Member # 9694

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bent70  Ford pictures for Bent70    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Throughing the idea around of using this kit if I can find one. My app is a smog legal 302 with an s trim shooting for 400 plus hp. Or what ever my current setup makes. Trying to get away of blown headgaskets and working at the limits of my block.
From what I have read these blocks need finish machine work as far as the cylinders and deck height. What type of price am I looking at for this machine work roughly?
Are there any opinions on this fms shortblock kit? Seems like and awesome deal for a strong block and forged rotating assembly.

--------------------
some stangs and thangs

copcar
¯
Member # 10113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for copcar  Ford pictures for copcar    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No one will be able to give viable feedback without having a thorough understanding of the balance of your current combination. This stated, your preceived goal of 400 hp is well within the limits of the stock block's capabilities. (Obviously the tune being the mitigating caviat.) Consider the upgraded block only if the current assembly is in need of a rebuild.

--------------------
12.37@ 109.34.NA 894DA Old Nitto 555 DR's Gt40 irons. B cam/1.7's, All emissions equipment on the car, stock air box. UPR catted X pipe.

Bent70
¯
Member # 9694

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bent70  Ford pictures for Bent70    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well the current combo is a "fresh" 302.
probe forged pistons
stock bottom end
elderbrock performer rpm upper/lower
ported svo y heads
10ish-1 compression ratio
bbk 80mm tb/egr
s trim 5psi
meth injection
custom comp cam
36lb injectors
supporting fuel system and maf

I have blow-by and am pretty sure the head gaskets are blown.
I have been fighting leaks since I got it and am looking for a solid heart and turning up the boost eventually.

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Bent70:
Well the current combo is a "fresh" 302.
probe forged pistons
stock bottom end
elderbrock performer rpm upper/lower
ported svo y heads
10ish-1 compression ratio
bbk 80mm tb/egr
s trim 5psi
meth injection
custom comp cam
36lb injectors
supporting fuel system and maf

If that isnt making 400hp to the wheels you have something wrong.

Anyway,

Here is some information....not sure if its "viable" lol....but whatever it is from my own hands on experience.

If you can afford the boss block and the down time then why wouldnt you go for it? The heads/cam/intake and blower are just too valuable not to move up from the stock block if it is in your budget. You plan to go faster? More boost? More cubes? See how long that tiny main webbing lasts in your stock block. Good to 400hp? Flywheel? Sure, maybe, sometimes...rear wheel? Sure, maybe, sometimes.....

ADP sells the boss block with a neutral balance forged crank. Forged rods (eagle SIR, could use better rods but what the heck) and mahle pistons. It is only 302 cubic inches, but the 8:1 blower pistons and the beautiful rotating assembly can take some mean amounts of boost and RPM before you have any worries. There are guys in the 8s with this setup. Upgrade to h beams and some ARP2000s and you are set. It comes with tool steel wrist pins.

Here are some pics of the ROTATING assembly only. The fellow that purchased this block and rotating assembly (packaged deal from ADP for 1899) chose to keep the block and sell the rotating assembly. The rotating assembly is in a stock block, in these pictures, but that was this customers request and budget.

The boss block needed a finish hone, decked and cam bearings installed for this rotating assembly. However, because the owner of this block chose to go with a 347 kit it was also bored, but that is not necessary with the ADP kit. Just a finish hone.

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
And dont trip folks, I measure all my shit. The plasti gauge in the background is my double checker tool.

By the way, it always measures tighter with the plasti gauge then it really is!

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
Bent70
¯
Member # 9694

Say I was to get this fms kit. How much to have you put it together so it's drop in ready. Roughly as a short block.? Long block with my parts?
If you want pm me.

--------------------
some stangs and thangs

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com