Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » oil pan gasket question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: oil pan gasket question
WesternKingdom
¯
Member # 9249

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesternKingdom  Ford pictures for WesternKingdom    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is there any way to remove the oil pan without pulling the engine?

--------------------
1993 GT
1985 Coupe

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes. Honestly hav'nt done it Myself but have read a few similar post's & most say it is worth pulling the engine because it is so messy to do it when the engine is still in the engine bay and there is a greater risk of sealing issues also. If You have a hoist and stand then just pull it. I'm sure John B or someone who has done this job dozen's of times will chime in for Ya soon. TTT for Ya!!!

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I haven't done one on a Fox, but I did replace an oil pump in a '66 with the engine still in the car. It was a HUGE pain in the ass.

[ August 03, 2010, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: wilit ]

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
REPLACE THE OIL PAN GASKET ALL THE TIME WHEN THERE STILL IN THE CAR
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Easiest way is to jack the car up, secure it with jackstands. Unbolt the engine mounts and raise it with a engine hoist. Drain the oil and filter. Then, in sequence, remove the bolts from the front to the rear, leaving the last two 13mm bolts roughly 2-3 threads in the block. This will allow the front of the pan to separate enough to unbolt the oil pump and pickup. Once you have the oil pump and pickup in the pan, you can pull the pan out from in between the K member and block.

Use a 1 piece gasket when re-installing.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com