Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » head gasket question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: head gasket question
von89stang
¯
Member # 7162

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for von89stang  Ford pictures for von89stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So i have went through two sets of head gaskets with only a total of 30 min run time each set. I never took the car over 2000 rpm. It is a 1988 5.0 and i just put a set of gt40p heads on it and i am running 6lbs of boost(have not yet even boosted it)with a paxton supercharger. The heads were just resurfaced also. The only thing i can think of is that the block needs to be decked and resurfaced. Any info would be greatly appreciated guys. thanks

--------------------
65 mustang
13 f150 ecoboost

1fastmach1
¯
Member # 10137

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1fastmach1  Ford pictures for 1fastmach1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get a feeler gage and straight eedge and see how much warpage its got

--------------------
REDLINE MOTORSPORTS CC EST 2011
1993 CHP sold
2004 mach 1 408 Windsor n20 fed
R.I.P. JORGE GUTIERREZ JR
6/13/1982- 11/05/2013

Posts: 2592 | From: clawwwitter to 7th st | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What gasket, head bolts, and torque settings are you using?

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
von89stang
¯
Member # 7162

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for von89stang  Ford pictures for von89stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i used some stock felpro head gaskets and stock head bolts the first time and torqed to 72lbs. then the second time i used some performace felpro head gaskets with some arp head bolts and torqed to 70lbs, then re-torqed the top bolts to 80lbs like the gasket instuctions recommended. oh and both times i torqed the bolts in 3 different steps and i went by seqeunce.

--------------------
65 mustang
13 f150 ecoboost

von89stang
¯
Member # 7162

oh and i am planning on checking the block after i get some info. thanks

--------------------
65 mustang
13 f150 ecoboost

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
..and the head gaskets were installed correctly? "Front" to the front?

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

von89stang
¯
Member # 7162

of coarse

--------------------
65 mustang
13 f150 ecoboost

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

quote:
Originally posted by von89stang:
of coarse

You'd be surprised how many I've fixed that were done "right".

Too many probables here. Either the gaskets were on wrong, torqued incorrectly, bolt holes gummed up (causing incorrect torque readings), heads warped, or deck surface warped.
If you pulled the heads off the engine and all was ok, you can probably count the deck surface as being ok. You stated the heads were surfaced, so they should be ok.
Were all the bolt holes chased with a tap, the bolts all torqued with lube, and cooling system purged properly prior to reaching full operating temp?

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

von89stang
¯
Member # 7162

no purge and the holes were not tapped but i did all the others. so youre telling me that theres a chance that my block wont need to be decked? that sounds good to me man. oh and prior to the hci swap my car ran perfect and no head gasket or over heating issues.

--------------------
65 mustang
13 f150 ecoboost

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

quote:
Originally posted by von89stang:
no purge and the holes were not tapped but i did all the others. so youre telling me that theres a chance that my block wont need to be decked? that sounds good to me man. oh and prior to the hci swap my car ran perfect and no head gasket or over heating issues.

You didn't purge the cooling system after the install? There's your problem. Air in the system = no water = overheating.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

von89stang
¯
Member # 7162

It could happen that fast? i filled the radiator right after i started the car. So do you think if i do the job over again and purge it that it will be good? thanks alot for the info bro.

--------------------
65 mustang
13 f150 ecoboost

von89stang
¯
Member # 7162

Hey john one more thing i just remembered. When i first started the car it got pretty warm, then i added more coolant and my temp went back down to normal operating temp. after that i drove it and it was all good but when i parked at home 15 min later, thats when it started getting really hot so i turned it off and thats when i noticed that it had coolant in the oil. anyway what im getting at is that the first 20-30 min of run time my oil was just fine and i was wondering why it took 30 min to blow the head gasket. thanks

--------------------
65 mustang
13 f150 ecoboost

von89stang
¯
Member # 7162

still looking for a solution here guys.

--------------------
65 mustang
13 f150 ecoboost

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

It will take a while to get all the air out of the cooling system. And yes, it can happen that fast. Also, did you change the oil in between HG changes (each time)?

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You sure its the head gasket and not a misaligned intake gasket? Maybe the intake flange is warped. Take a large flat file to it and check for high/low spots.
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
run a tap down ALL of the head bolt holes to remove the old crap so your torque setting is accurate.

once you get it together, fill the radiator, then leave the cap off and jack up the front right of the car really high so the cap opening is the highest point.

I've used the T fittings sold by prestone in their flush and fill kits for years, I tap it into the heatercore hoses and fill the coolant through there after the radiator.

Then let the car idle until it comes up to temp, the coolant will get sucked out of the radiator and into the motor to replace the air once to thermostat opens, wait for the bubbling to stop in the radiator and it's purged.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
von89stang
¯
Member # 7162

okay cool thanks guys. yes i change the oil each time. i have been throught 3 oil and filter changes. and as far as the intake i will double check it, but i do know that it is the head gaskets cause the first set i put on were blown badly. i will defenately run a tap through the head bolt holes. and i will purge my coolant system. well thanks for the info guys i hope it works this time which i doubt it will lol.

--------------------
65 mustang
13 f150 ecoboost

SPECIALTY15***MM PERFORMANCE***
¯
Member # 2978

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SPECIALTY15***MM PERFORMANCE***  Ford pictures for SPECIALTY15***MM PERFORMANCE***    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check the egr plate gasket

--------------------
MM PERFORMANCE
916-993-9581

Posts: 861 | From: sacramento | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :
von89stang
¯
Member # 7162

Why do you think that would cause a blown head gasket?

--------------------
65 mustang
13 f150 ecoboost

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
More than likely You are detonating which is the most common way to blow HG on supercharged engine. With the added noise of supercharged engine You probably would'nt even hear the detonation. Other problem might be fuel system not being up to par as supercharged engines require more fuel tha NA engines so it's good to go overkill with the fuel system. If I were You I would change the HG's & fire up the engine to make sure it is running OK "not even allowing it to heat up enogh to cause any damage" then tow it in for a tune & also call them and go over Your combo with them to see if You have all Your system's up to par before You spend the money to have it towed in. What size injector's and fuel pump are You running? Do You have an aftermarket radiator & fan? Electric fan? The more info You share about Your setup the better for everyone to try and diagnose the problem.

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

von89stang
¯
Member # 7162

24lb injectors, 8:1 fmu, 255lph fuel pump, stock radiator, stock fan. thanks

--------------------
65 mustang
13 f150 ecoboost

Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So did you do a compression test or are you leaking coolant into the engine? How do you know that they head gaskets are blown?
von89stang
¯
Member # 7162

coolant is leaking into my engine oil and i check my last set of head gaskets and they were blown.

--------------------
65 mustang
13 f150 ecoboost

von89stang
¯
Member # 7162

hey guys could it have anything to do with head gasket thickness? seeing how the gt40p heads already raise the compession a little.

--------------------
65 mustang
13 f150 ecoboost

von89stang
¯
Member # 7162

bad torque wrench! car is now running great lol

--------------------
65 mustang
13 f150 ecoboost

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com