Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » old school mustang questions

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: old school mustang questions
Stimpys 5.0
¯
Member # 5829

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimpys 5.0  Ford pictures for Stimpys 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I recently bought a 68 and I want to upgrade the brakes to disc, I wanted to see what some of u guys are using, and where to shop around at. If I already have an 8.8 diff, is worth the trouble putting on, or should I just look for a nine inch and slap on the 9" diff.

I also would like some suggestions on what materials to use to prep the body for paint. I already went throught the car and it has absolutely no rust.

I will be looking to buy an after market hood, some fenders and a trunk lid, if anyone has that please shoot me a pm. If u have other misc. Things for my 68 lmk.

Thanks guys
Aaron.

--------------------
1989 burgundy coupe
1968 mustang 289 - 4 speed
1989 white lx (totalled)

68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
From what i understand is the 8.8 is about 1/2 wider, so if you havent gotten any rims yet i would put the 8.8 in. What are your long term goals? racing, or just a good street car? on my 68 i went with the baer 12" rotors. i missed one key part buildin my car. I would def put a rack and pinion on it. It's my last thing to do, but i should have done it at the beginning.

-

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

Posts: 3986 | From: neverland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.discbrakeswap.com/ great place to get disc brakes for a good price. I've heard nothing but good things about this place. I was going to go with them, but i found a killer deal on e-bay for my baer setup.

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

2000BlackGT
Loyalty
Member # 283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2000BlackGT  Ford pictures for 2000BlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 68dustin:
From what i understand is the 8.8 is about 1/2 wider, so if you havent gotten any rims yet i would put the 8.8 in. What are your long term goals? racing, or just a good street car? on my 68 i went with the baer 12" rotors. i missed one key part buildin my car. I would def put a rack and pinion on it. It's my last thing to do, but i should have done it at the beginning.

-

What steering did you go with? I'm in the middle of doing a Borgenson swap on my 65.
Posts: 2833 | From: Chico, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Stimpys 5.0:
I recently bought a 68 and I want to upgrade the brakes to disc, I wanted to see what some of u guys are using, and where to shop around at. If I already have an 8.8 diff, is worth the trouble putting on, or should I just look for a nine inch and slap on the 9" diff.

Welcome to the '68 club!

If I were to do a drum to disc swap and keep it on the cheap, I'd go this route. http://budgetrestomod.weebly.com/disc-brakes---scarebird.html

Or, if you want to spend a little more money and get a better setup, I'd go with this setup http://www.vintagevenom.com/front-disc-mustang-brake-conversion-kit.htm

I plan on doing an 8.8 swap for my '68. 9" rears are great if you're making crazy power. If not, an 8.8 is a better swap because 1. they're less expensive 2. they handle quite a bit of power 3. they swap in with minimal work 4. they take less HP to turn than a 9". A fox 8.8 is almost exactly the same width as a stock 8". The 99+ 8.8's are 1/2" wider, but come with 5-lug discs so they're a better swap axle IMO.

[ July 27, 2010, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: wilit ]

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

this is the rack that im going with:

http://www.aeroform.com/powersteeringrackfor67-68mustang.aspx

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
this is the rack that im going with:

http://www.aeroform.com/powersteeringrackfor67-68mustang.aspx

Nice looking rack!

That's a great find. I was thinking of going with the Unisteer kit, but it's the same price for a manual rack. A power rack for under $900 is a killer price.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Yeah thats a great deal, i believe its a knock off sterroids rack.

--------------------

Captain Obvious
¯
Member # 7842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Obvious  Ford pictures for Captain Obvious    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can find a 8.8 rearend with disc brakes posi and a alot of different gear ratios available used, there cheap to come by too. if you know how to weld you can get a complete built disc rearend under your 68 mustang for around $500 if you shop around.

for front disc brakes I would go with the 13" Cobra brakes up front. they are cheap and if you needed replacements they would be available from other sources other then only aftermarket unlike those other disc conversion kits.

--------------------
It's NOT illegal. It's just frowned upon, like masturbating on an airplane.

66_5.0
¯
Member # 9974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66_5.0  Ford pictures for 66_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mustangs plus in stockton also has hella stuff for the old schools. [dance]

--------------------
1966 Mustang

68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

http://www.cjponyparts.com/Default.asp?camid= great place to buy parts. shipping is free + no sales tax. Only downfall is the wait, about week and half before you get your parts.

--------------------

Stimpys 5.0
¯
Member # 5829

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimpys 5.0  Ford pictures for Stimpys 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My bad guys I was looking at my post in general talk and had no replys so then I look at the tech section and I see the new comments...... so yeah. Back to The topic.

I do have an 8.8 already. I would like to run some bullits or some 01 cobra wheels.

I really just want a Lil good street car but also a good dd. I want to make sure I have the right stuff the first time so I'm not going back and forth,and wasting money and time. This is a car I plan to keep, so I want it done right. I'll check out those sites you guys posted.

Keep me informed

Thanks

--------------------
1989 burgundy coupe
1989 white lx (totalled)

Captain Obvious
¯
Member # 7842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Obvious  Ford pictures for Captain Obvious    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Stimpys 5.0:
My bad guys I was looking at my post in general talk and had no replys so then I look at the tech section and I see the new comments...... so yeah. Back to The topic.

I do have an 8.8 already. I would like to run some bullits or some 01 cobra wheels.

I really just want a Lil good street car but also a good dd. I want to make sure I have the right stuff the first time so I'm not going back and forth,and wasting money and time. This is a car I plan to keep, so I want it done right. I'll check out those sites you guys posted.

Keep me informed

Thanks

for the rearend all you have to do is grind all the control arm brackets off and weld on a new set of spring perches, use your old rearend as a reference for the spacing of the perches and the pinion angle.

if your going to run the bullits/01 cobra wheels with the 4.5 back spacing; you will need to run atleast a 1" spacer up front to clear the upper control arm ball joint area.

--------------------

68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

hey can you do me a favor: i want to know what the measurements are from the face of the axle to the other face of the axle on the 8.8.

--------------------

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you are on a budget i would suggest a Granada disc brake conversion. You should be able to grab something from a junk yard for cheap. If you are running 14" steel wheels you will need to budget for a new set. Check out the site below. It has all the information you need to do this

http://www.mustangsplus.com/tech/granada/index.html

http://www.mustangsplus.com/tech/versaill/index.htm

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
Captain Obvious
¯
Member # 7842

quote:
hey can you do me a favor: i want to know what the measurements are from the face of the axle to the other face of the axle on the 8.8.

heres what I got of a rearend sitting around. the measurements should all be the same for any 87-93 mustang with an 8.8

from mounting flange to mounting flange on the housing = 54 1/4

from axle to axle. measurments are to th mounting side with out drums just axles in place. with drums add about 1/4 total to the below measurements.
= 59 3/16 - 59 1/4
axle to axle is a rough measurement (the clutches in the diff are not new, so there is play for the axles to move in and out
(very little but it does move)

[ July 28, 2010, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: 68stanger ]

--------------------

68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

thanks!!

--------------------

BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCINGUU  Ford pictures for BCINGUU  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have stock 68 manual front discs on my 67, and they work pretty well. Maybe not as good as a bigger aftermarket kit, but easy to install and you can get them pretty cheap.

--------------------
93 Cobra #4563 347ci 12.0@118 505rwhp 524tq
90 GT "Saleen Cobra" style convertible 347ci
67 GT "Eleanor" style coupe 347ci

Posts: 1425 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
CaliCoop
¯
Member # 7031

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliCoop  Ford pictures for CaliCoop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do what I did, I had the same dilema your having, I just went and bought a ford exploere rearend and I took the old rear end out and took it to river city diff in sac, and he measured everything out and adjust the axle shaft lengths and shortened some of it and now I have rear disc brakes, 4:10 gears with 31 spline axles all in the same offset as the 8inch I took out all for under $600. I'm very happy with the setup in my 68 stang

--------------------
"Swang Shyt Click"
1991 Silver&Black Notchback on Vogues,Mach 1's, Black Bullits, Black Chrome Saleens
2000 Camaro SS "SOLD"
1968 Stang 5spd coupe

Posts: 412 | From: Mack Rd. Sacramento | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
Stimpys 5.0
¯
Member # 5829

Hey bro, you might have bring your stang out here and let me check it out.

--------------------
1989 burgundy coupe
1989 white lx (totalled)

CaliCoop
¯
Member # 7031

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliCoop  Ford pictures for CaliCoop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No problem, let me know when you are available and have time, I live in sac so its not a problem

--------------------
"Swang Shyt Click"
1991 Silver&Black Notchback on Vogues,Mach 1's, Black Bullits, Black Chrome Saleens
2000 Camaro SS "SOLD"
1968 Stang 5spd coupe

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

quote:
Originally posted by CaliCoop:
Do what I did, I had the same dilema your having, I just went and bought a ford exploere rearend and I took the old rear end out and took it to river city diff in sac, and he measured everything out and adjust the axle shaft lengths and shortened some of it and now I have rear disc brakes, 4:10 gears with 31 spline axles all in the same offset as the 8inch I took out all for under $600. I'm very happy with the setup in my 68 stang

That's a pretty good deal. I've been looking for 8" center sections for the stock rear end and they're $500-$600. Getting 4.10's, 31 splines, a posi, and disc brakes for under $600 is a really great deal.

--------------------

CaliCoop
¯
Member # 7031

Yeah it was a pretty good deal found it CL some guy in pinole had like 2 of them laying aroung so I bought one, much better deal than buying a 8" center section for $995 @ mustangs plus and possibly blowin it out and be mad, just did a lil research and took the plunge, all worked out in the end, great deal for my wallet and great budget, major upgrade

--------------------
"Swang Shyt Click"
2000 Camaro SS "SOLD"
1968 Stang 5spd coupe

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com