Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 1.7 vs 1.6 for a tfs1 cam

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 1.7 vs 1.6 for a tfs1 cam
Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
already have the 1.6's would i benefit from 1.7's?

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
Captain Obvious
¯
Member # 7842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Obvious  Ford pictures for Captain Obvious    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
will it clear your pistons? are they notched or aftermarket?

--------------------
It's NOT illegal. It's just frowned upon, like masturbating on an airplane.

Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
not sure asking you guys [Wink] ..stock pistons

--------------------

2000 camaro ss cam only

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You have to check to see if they clear. No one here ('cept for maybe Duncan Motors) knows how your motor is built.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Stock shortblock, GT40 heads, .043 head gasket, and that cam with 1.7's will leave you with .125-.130 clearance exhaust side...enough to live, as long as your springs are up to the task. Doublecheck to make sure your valve guides/guide seals aren't bottoming out on the spring retainers. This is a common problem with GT40's and any cam lift over .540.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
Stock shortblock, GT40 heads, .043 head gasket, and that cam with 1.7's will leave you with .125-.130 clearance exhaust side...enough to live, as long as your springs are up to the task. Doublecheck to make sure your valve guides/guide seals aren't bottoming out on the spring retainers. This is a common problem with GT40's and any cam lift over .540.

thats what i was really worried about john..duncan has mentioned that to me before..the valve springs are good up to .542

--------------------

2000 camaro ss cam only

nitrous_bob
CAFords OG
Member # 77

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nitrous_bob  Ford pictures for nitrous_bob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
tfs told me i'd hit with my 1.9/1.6 eddy heads using a 1.7 rocker for sure, and that i should clay them even with 1.6 rockers on that cam. thats the 200001 or whatever right ?

i'd call them and ask.

--------------------
5.0 OG since 1990

Posts: 1402 | From: st clair shores MI | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
copcar
¯
Member # 10113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for copcar  Ford pictures for copcar    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The 1.7/Stage 1 cam is a known combination but no matter what check your clearances. Also, your heads do not flow any better at the lift the Stage 1 is providing with 1.6's versus 1.7's. Typically, even with a spot on port and valve job the GT40's cap out around 520 lift. I just don't think you will get your hp/dollar worth by installing them. Typically that combo is seen on FAC 170's, AFR 185's and 165's. The GT40 valve springs will handle the lift just fine, however due to the ramp rate of that cam I would keep the revs under 6500. It is very easy to float a valve with that cam and those springs if you are not careful.

--------------------
12.37@ 109.34.NA 894DA Old Nitto 555 DR's Gt40 irons. B cam/1.7's, All emissions equipment on the car, stock air box. UPR catted X pipe.

Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

quote:
Originally posted by copcar:
The 1.7/Stage 1 cam is a known combination but no matter what check your clearances. Also, your heads do not flow any better at the lift the Stage 1 is providing with 1.6's versus 1.7's. Typically, even with a spot on port and valve job the GT40's cap out around 520 lift. I just don't think you will get your hp/dollar worth by installing them. Typically that combo is seen on FAC 170's, AFR 185's and 165's. The GT40 valve springs will handle the lift just fine, however due to the ramp rate of that cam I would keep the revs under 6500. It is very easy to float a valve with that cam and those springs if you are not careful.

the heads have been ported pretty much to the max,they have upgraded trickflow valve springs,hardend valve seats,3 angle valve job..

--------------------

2000 camaro ss cam only

Stan G
¯
Member # 6226

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stan G  Ford pictures for Stan G    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I doubt you will see 5 additional hp.

--------------------
1985 RX-7, 347/T-5 , T/F T/W heads, typhoon intake, Tfs2 cam, pulleys, 2500 lbs .
3.63 rear gears , Megasquirt

Posts: 105 | From: Sun Coast , Florida | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com