Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » brake pedal hard ????? poor stoping

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: brake pedal hard ????? poor stoping
VENOMUS PONY 5.0
¯
Member # 7785

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VENOMUS PONY 5.0  Ford pictures for VENOMUS PONY 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so i chaged my brake booster and master cylinder from a 95 mustang... i have a 89 foxbody. the booster is brand new. i had the whole setup in my other foxbody minus the booster and everything worked good. so my problem is my pedal is hard but the stopping power sucks real bad any suggestions.

--------------------
If You Want More Inches - Stroke It!!!
Mystery stang in the works..

93bluecoupe
¯
Member # 9681

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93bluecoupe  Ford pictures for 93bluecoupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You maybe need to keep bleeding them
did you bleed the new master cylinder?

Posts: 273 | From: Melolambes | Registered: Dec 2009  |  :
Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
adjust the pushrod right?

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
CAStang
¯
Member # 9568

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CAStang  Ford pictures for CAStang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have the same problem, it started when I upgraded my calipers and rotors to the 13" Cobra setup. (Foxbody) Anybody have a link on proper pushrod adjustment steps?

[ July 15, 2010, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: CAStang ]

Posts: 351 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Nov 2009  |  :
username1822
¯
Member # 8583

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for username1822  Ford pictures for username1822    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by CAStang:
I have the same problem, it started when I upgraded my calipers and rotors to the 13" Cobra setup. (Foxbody) Anybody have a link on proper pushrod adjustment steps?

I did the cobra 13" brakes on my 95 and I needed to use a 94-95 cobra master cylinder. The bore size is different so I had that nasty hard pedal problem until I put in the correct master.

Here is how you are supposed to adjust the rod...

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/content/install/pdf/brakes/MMBAK-1r1.pdf

--------------------
95 GT

Pumpkin_Notch
TEAM PLATINUM
Member # 3946

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Notch  Ford pictures for Pumpkin_Notch  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What did you guys use for the ebrake setup

--------------------
TEAM PLATINUM
87LX: T-TOP PUMPKIN NOTCH
94N.C.F.GT: 418w
www.facebook.com/PLATINUM1320tv

Posts: 2790 | From: RICHMOND/sanpablo | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
VENOMUS PONY 5.0
¯
Member # 7785

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VENOMUS PONY 5.0  Ford pictures for VENOMUS PONY 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so how do i adjust it and to what setting.... can i find that info anywhere? do i just twist the rod left or right? does the rod go in and out and iam i adjusting that portion of it????? any info would be great help.

--------------------

username1822
¯
Member # 8583

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for username1822  Ford pictures for username1822    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just posted a link above on how to adjust it.

Its a hollow shaft with a threaded rod in it. You want it to be sitting almost right against the inside of the master cylinder when its all bolted up (which is why its easier if you measure than just guessing).

If your brake pedal is hard, that means the rod is too long, you would need to shorten it (thread it in).

[ July 15, 2010, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: username1822 ]

--------------------
95 GT

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
there's more to it than just the rod.

what calipers are you using, were you able to turn in the brake calipers easily when you installed the pads on them? A frozen caliper would make a hard pedal with shitty brakes.

how much vacuum does your motor pull? Is the car boosted and have a check valve on the brake booster so it doesn't lose the vacuum reserve?

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
2T0NE
Go 49ers
Member # 4216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2T0NE  Ford pictures for 2T0NE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
cobra calipers front svo in rear and stock cam...from what i know...everything was working fine until the new booster was put in

--------------------
Originally posted by x Raelsmar x:
Can't wait till the Giants lose tomorrow night so all you Giants fans are forced to shut the fuck up.

Posts: 14676 | From: 760 carlsbad | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
username1822
¯
Member # 8583

quote:
Originally posted by Blind:

what calipers are you using, were you able to turn in the brake calipers easily when you installed the pads on them? A frozen caliper would make a hard pedal with shitty brakes.

how much vacuum does your motor pull? Is the car boosted and have a check valve on the brake booster so it doesn't lose the vacuum reserve?

Yes, other things can cause a hard pedal, but if you read his post, he installed a new booster and master and the problem started, neither of which will spontaniously cause a "frozen caliper". So improper adjustment would be the most obvious solution.

[ July 15, 2010, 06:09 PM: Message edited by: username1822 ]

--------------------
95 GT

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by username1822:
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:

Yes, other things can cause a hard pedal, but if you read his post, he installed a new booster and master and the problem started, neither of which will spontaniously cause a "frozen caliper". So improper adjustment would be the most obvious solution.
it was all working fine in a different car, maybe those parts all sat around for a long time and a caliper froze up, or the new car has a big vacuum leak, etc.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
username1822
¯
Member # 8583

quote:
Originally posted by 2TONE:
cobra calipers front svo in rear and stock cam...from what i know...everything was working fine until the new booster was put in

If it was working fine before the new booster, then the rod adjustment is the problem.

[ July 15, 2010, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: username1822 ]

--------------------
95 GT

VENOMUS PONY 5.0
¯
Member # 7785

iam going to go with the adjustment of the rod. the parts only sat for 2 days like i said everything was working fine unill i put that new booster in iam going to adjust that... iam going to keep you guys posted.

--------------------

CAStang
¯
Member # 9568

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CAStang  Ford pictures for CAStang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by VENOMUS PONY 5.0:
iam going to go with the adjustment of the rod. the parts only sat for 2 days like i said everything was working fine unill i put that new booster in iam going to adjust that... iam going to keep you guys posted.

Any updates???
Posts: 351 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Nov 2009  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com