Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » weird vibration/humming when in gear? (Page 3)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: weird vibration/humming when in gear?
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
quote:
Originally posted by Luke87GT:
Ian, I don't understand how you guys are adjusting pinion angle? Do you have adj upper control arms or something?

I have MM lowers, stock uppers, and a MM Panhard. I don't have a single component that I am able to adjust in my rearend?

Is it the Torque Arm that is giving you adjustability?

If Daniel solves your problem, I'm next in line, lol. I've been hearing more and more about guys with 4.30s and up having this problem however. Before I go in for a rearend rebuild, I am going to verify the balance of the shaft first.

When do you plan on making an appointment? And also, do you have an aluminum shaft?

We're adjusting the pinion angle via the PHB setup. It mounts to the DS and there are washers that you can install if necessary to adjsut the angle. We removed all the washers today to bring the angle as close as possible, but its still slightly off.

As for the others with 430's, what are they doing to fix the issue? Is it a "normal" thing for cars with steep gears like our's?

No, I have a stock DS, non-aluminum. I plan to make an appointment with daniel hopefully next week. I've been swamped with other things and can barely find time to look at the damn car haha.

You must mean the TA and NOT the PHB.
The PHB allows for absolutely zero adjustment in pinion angle

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:
Ian, I don't understand how you guys are adjusting pinion angle? Do you have adj upper control arms or something?

I have MM lowers, stock uppers, and a MM Panhard. I don't have a single component that I am able to adjust in my rearend?

Is it the Torque Arm that is giving you adjustability?

If Daniel solves your problem, I'm next in line, lol. I've been hearing more and more about guys with 4.30s and up having this problem however. Before I go in for a rearend rebuild, I am going to verify the balance of the shaft first.

When do you plan on making an appointment? And also, do you have an aluminum shaft?

We're adjusting the pinion angle via the PHB setup. It mounts to the DS and there are washers that you can install if necessary to adjsut the angle. We removed all the washers today to bring the angle as close as possible, but its still slightly off.

As for the others with 430's, what are they doing to fix the issue? Is it a "normal" thing for cars with steep gears like our's?

No, I have a stock DS, non-aluminum. I plan to make an appointment with daniel hopefully next week. I've been swamped with other things and can barely find time to look at the damn car haha.

You must mean the TA and NOT the PHB.
The PHB allows for absolutely zero adjustment in pinion angle

Oh yea, sorry...I'm actually referring to the T/A [Razz]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yup, we are on the same page now, lol.

So is Daniel going to rebuild the rear with or without a new Ring and Pinion?

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Yup, we are on the same page now, lol.

So is Daniel going to rebuild the rear with or without a new Ring and Pinion?

well, he did mention that it'd be a good idea to just swap out the ring and pinion (gears) since we're tearing it apart already but I'm not sure if I really want to fork out the cash for new gears...

--------------------

stangin'
¯
Member # 514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangin'  Ford pictures for stangin'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by stangin':
Ian, if it's a hanging idle, try cleaning out the idle air controller. it gets gunked up sometimes and just needs cleaning.

Thanks for the input Vin. I'll look into the IAC valve. Where is it located btw?
right above the STB next to the intake manifold. just use some brake cleaner and get all the gunk out. it can cause a hanging idle, rough idle, and/or stall outs.
http://www.powergridinc.com/images/PictureGallery/cobra.jpg

back to your subject at hand, when i had 4.56s in my old '97 cobra there was a very slight whine when i was cruising on the freeway. from what i've gathered, it seems to be the norm with steep gears. it was very slight so it never bothered me. plus my exhaust droned it out pretty good.

on my current fox, i swapped in a whole rearend when i did my 5-lug conversion and it's whining/moaning like crazy from 70-75mph. it also does it at low speeds so in my case there's probably more than one cause to this issue. the rearend has 3.55s and i think it wasn't setup correctly by the previous owner. i never had an issues with my stock rearend with 3.73s.

btw, once a set of ring & pinion is installed incorrectly that leads to gear whine, you have to get a new set of gears.

[ August 26, 2010, 03:12 AM: Message edited by: stangin' ]

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
quote:
quote:
Ian, if it's a hanging idle, try cleaning out the idle air controller. it gets gunked up sometimes and just needs cleaning.

Thanks for the input Vin. I'll look into the IAC valve. Where is it located btw?
right above the STB next to the intake manifold. just use some brake cleaner and get all the gunk out. it can cause a hanging idle, rough idle, and/or stall outs.
http://www.powergridinc.com/images/PictureGallery/cobra.jpg

back to your subject at hand, when i had 4.56s in my old '97 cobra there was a very slight whine when i was cruising on the freeway. from what i've gathered, it seems to be the norm with steep gears. it was very slight so it never bothered me. plus my exhaust droned it out pretty good.

on my current fox, i swapped in a whole rearend when i did my 5-lug conversion and it's whining/moaning like crazy from 70-75mph. it also does it at low speeds so in my case there's probably more than one cause to this issue. the rearend has 3.55s and i think it wasn't setup correctly by the previous owner. i never had an issues with my stock rearend with 3.73s.

btw, once a set of ring & pinion is installed incorrectly that leads to gear whine, you have to get a new set of gears.

Thanks for the clarification on the IAC valve. I'll try to find time to clean it out and hopefully do a full tune up while I'm at it [Embarrassed]

As for the gears, I dont think what Luke and I are hearing is gearf whine. Its not a constant sound, rathe a pulsing sound. In my case its not too bad either and can probably live with it for a while, but since I know its there and I CAN hear it, I really want to find the root cause and fix the issue.

--------------------

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ya Ian, it's really a subtle thing.

And as a result, I constantly go back and forth about whether or not its worth tearing into it and dropping $400 minumum between labor and the rebuild kit with no guarantees that it will fix it.

I am very confident that between the rearend rebuild and the driveshaft rebalance, it will solve the problem.

Keep us updated.

--------------------
Stangless

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

oops, did I accidently bring this to the top again? [Razz]

As you can tell, I would really like to see you resolve this, lol

--------------------
Stangless

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:

How about we split the cost to rebuild the rearend and I'll let my car be the test dummy [Wink]

--------------------

username1822
¯
Member # 8583

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for username1822  Ford pictures for username1822    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You don't have a polyurethane tranny mount do you?

My buddy had a "pulsating" type of vibration, swapped out his poly trans mount to a new stocker and the problem went away.

--------------------
95 GT

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

quote:
quote:

How about we split the cost to rebuild the rearend and I'll let my car be the test dummy [Wink]
I agree to it, but only if my car is the test dummy.

$250 each... let's get it done [Wink]

--------------------
Stangless

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com