Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Clogged cat on 03 Cobra???

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Clogged cat on 03 Cobra???
Rigo5.0
¯
Member # 5247

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rigo5.0  Ford pictures for Rigo5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I noticed that my Cobra has lost power and the exhaust is considerably quieter. Could these be the symptoms of a clogged catalytic converter? What else could be the cause?

Any help is appreciated.

[ June 25, 2010, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: Rigo5.0 ]

--------------------
91 5.0 [331|T56]
87 Grand National
02 Z06
08 Challenger SRT8
13 Shelby GT500
00 Lightning
14 Camaro SS

Posts: 1454 | From: Kansas City | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
Pumpkin_Notch
TEAM PLATINUM
Member # 3946

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Notch  Ford pictures for Pumpkin_Notch  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Rigo5.0:
I noticed that my Cobra has lost power and the exhaust is considerably quieter. Could these be the symptoms of a clogged catalytic converter? What else could be the cause?

Any help is appreciated.

wow how did that happen have you been using the cheap gas [Confused]

--------------------
TEAM PLATINUM
87LX: T-TOP PUMPKIN NOTCH
94N.C.F.GT: 418w
www.facebook.com/PLATINUM1320tv

Posts: 2790 | From: RICHMOND/sanpablo | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hook up a vacuum gauge it will tell you if your exhaust is clogged

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
Rigo5.0
¯
Member # 5247

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rigo5.0  Ford pictures for Rigo5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Adam5.0:
hook up a vacuum gauge it will tell you if your exhaust is clogged

I'll give that a shot. Do you know where about the reading will be if it is clogged?

--------------------
91 5.0 [331|T56]
87 Grand National
02 Z06
08 Challenger SRT8
13 Shelby GT500
00 Lightning
14 Camaro SS

StreakMatt
¯
Member # 6257

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for StreakMatt  Ford pictures for StreakMatt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had Magnaflow Hi-Flow cats on my 03 Cobra and they eventually broke up and clogged my exhaust up. Loss of power too, real dramatic. I just hollowed them out and threw the X-pipe back on. All was well after that.

--------------------
Custom Blue '88 GT: Garage Built= MM&FF January 2012 Cover and Feature. Tuned by Bob Kurgan

Black '03 Cobra: 2.9 Whipple Tuned by Bob Kurgan

Posts: 1198 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
Rigo5.0
¯
Member # 5247

quote:
Originally posted by streakmatt:
I had Magnaflow Hi-Flow cats on my 03 Cobra and they eventually broke up and clogged my exhaust up. Loss of power too, real dramatic. I just hollowed them out and threw the X-pipe back on. All was well after that.

Hopefully it is the cats and nothing more serious. This is my DD right now. I'm going to check them out tomorrow. We shall see...

--------------------
91 5.0 [331|T56]
87 Grand National
02 Z06
08 Challenger SRT8
13 Shelby GT500
00 Lightning
14 Camaro SS

Rigo5.0
¯
Member # 5247

Well, it ended up being a clogged cat. Hollowed all of them out and will ride like that until it's time for a smog.

--------------------
91 5.0 [331|T56]
87 Grand National
02 Z06
08 Challenger SRT8
13 Shelby GT500
00 Lightning
14 Camaro SS

BOOSTED92GT
¯
Member # 8650

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOOSTED92GT  Ford pictures for BOOSTED92GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
were they stock? I know of two other magnaflows that have clogged too..

--------------------
71 f250
68 coupe, soon to have terminator motor/trans/irs

Rigo5.0
¯
Member # 5247

quote:
Originally posted by BOOSTED92GT:
were they stock? I know of two other magnaflows that have clogged too..

Yes, the clogged cat was on the stock h pipe. Hollowed the rest so that the exhaust would flow evenly and in case any of rest decided to F*** up later.

--------------------
91 5.0 [331|T56]
87 Grand National
02 Z06
08 Challenger SRT8
13 Shelby GT500
00 Lightning
14 Camaro SS

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com