Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » IRS vs. SRA??? (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: IRS vs. SRA???
phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wouldn't worry about the weight gain with IRS. It will only help with the weight distribution, as there will be 100 lbs or so that is low and in the rear of the car where you want it. That's gonna help with traction right there.

From what I understand, the delrin bushing upgrades get rid of the compliance of the factory rubber squishing and squirming under load, which is where the wheel hop comes from on an IRS setup. The solid mounts for the pumpkin help to save the pumpkin from breaking as the gears get loaded up under power.

While the Ford IRS has its limitations because it was not a clean sheet engineering project by Ford, with the right upgrades it seems like it would handle very comparably to a PH/TA setup. Forum geeks like to compare an upgraded solid setup to a stock IRS setup and bash the IRS, but that's an unfair comparison. Besides, the IRS looks very trick under an earlier car.

LETHL 03
¯
Member # 5401

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LETHL 03  Ford pictures for LETHL 03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Been quite a while since I raced the car, but I always have plans to go to the track, but refuse to without DR's or slicks. If I had tires, the car would be at the track next TNT. IDK, how often I would go, but It would probably be like once a month IF I HAD TIRES LOL.... I do complian about my ride quality quite often, but now I m considering what blind said about how my car probably has A LOT of suspension bind with its current setup.... [/QB][/QUOTE]

i got some DR's if you want to use them. either BFG 315 30 18 on my 18x10 saleens or 275 50 15 on my dragstars. [Big Grin]

--------------------
RIP Willie Guzman LQ9SN95

Hard Head Muscle
#HHM #babydickcobra #lethl03

cobra_302_stang
¯
Member # 7257

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobra_302_stang  Ford pictures for cobra_302_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dustin, I think I need to give you a ride on my car. When I had my Mach droped 2 in. It felt very rough. Now that I have the maximum grip box it is so much smoother and handles great at the track. You need to install your torque arm and take out your upper control arms, it is probably binding. Giving you a rough ride, after you take them off it will feel much better than it does now. Without the upper control arms the rear has much more free room to move. 3 link suspension rocks. You have it all ready. Put it on, if it too stiff you can get softer springs for the coil overs. I just need to give you a ride in Mach and you can decide.

[ November 02, 2009, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: cobra_302_stang ]

--------------------
~HighSpeed Motorsports~

Posts: 416 | From: Redwood city | Registered: Nov 2006  |  :
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for all the feedback guys... I still need to give this some thought....

quote:
Originally posted by cobra_302_stang:
Dustin, I think I need to give you a ride on my car. When I had my Mach droped 2 in. It felt very rough. Now that I have the maximum grip box it is so much smoother and handles great at the track. You need to install your torque arm and take out your upper control arms, it is probably binding. Giving you a rough ride, after you take them off it will feel much better than it does now. Without the upper control arms the rear has much more free room to move. 3 link suspension rocks. You have it all ready. Put it on, if it too stiff you can get softer springs for the coil overs. I just need to give you a ride in Mach and you can decide.

Yeah, this is what I need to do. I have never even been in a car with a Tq arm, because nobody out here in Sac that I know is running 1. My car is pretty low, around 2" lower than stock, but Im hoping i can still run a 2" drop & still get decent ride quality with the TA setup. This is the main reason I was thinking about IRS because you can still have a dumped look with good ride quality... BUT, I would much rather have a SRA because of less weight &a better launch....

What city are you in again?

[ November 02, 2009, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: EPIK ]

--------------------
=91 Notch:12.31@110 **Under Construction**
=05 CTS-V: 418rwhp/393rwtq=13.01@111

http://www.djepikmusic.com

cobra_302_stang
¯
Member # 7257

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobra_302_stang  Ford pictures for cobra_302_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
On the penninsula in Redwood City we need to meet up sometime.

--------------------
~HighSpeed Motorsports~

Posts: 416 | From: Redwood city | Registered: Nov 2006  |  :
SAMACH1
¯
Member # 7042

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SAMACH1  Ford pictures for SAMACH1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
come on epik..... do you think my mostly stock mach would be anywhere in the 12s with a irs LOL? SRA for the win, fuck how the car rides lol.....

--------------------
- STREET ACTIONS CC -
Advanced Auto Built
Bob Kurgan Tuned

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
On the penninsula in Redwood City we need to meet up sometime.

Pm me your number when u get a chance....

--------------------

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
Originally posted by SAMACH1:
come on epik..... do you think my mostly stock mach would be anywhere in the 12s with a irs LOL? SRA for the win, fuck how the car rides lol.....

You are right, it would be hard for a stock mach with IRS to run inthe 12's, but it is possible... Im gettin old bro, I need better ride quality LOL...

--------------------

SAMACH1
¯
Member # 7042

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SAMACH1  Ford pictures for SAMACH1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by EPIK:
quote:
Originally posted by SAMACH1:

You are right, it would be hard for a stock mach with IRS to run inthe 12's, but it is possible... Im gettin old bro, I need better ride quality LOL...
LOL get a volvo....

--------------------
- STREET ACTIONS CC -
Advanced Auto Built
Bob Kurgan Tuned

SAMACH1
¯
Member # 7042

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdh1J9Df24Y

SRA... [Wink] irs can work too but they get too expensive...

--------------------
- STREET ACTIONS CC -
Advanced Auto Built
Bob Kurgan Tuned

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1HaTCheD5LiTEr:
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
IRS brace, upgraded hardware, and mount bushings will take care of wheel hop.

John, please correct me if I am wrong. From what I have been told, I heard that the IRS brace is used just to protect the pumpkin during wheel hop and not to prevent wheel hop itself. Was I given the [EDIT]wrong[EDIT] info?
The IRS brace serves two purposes.
1. Strengthens the rear mount point for the IRS housing.
2. Distributes the mount point evenly across the surface of the IRS cover.

It will help prevent wheel hop, when combined with the IRS bushings and other items. It will not prevent it installed by itself.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
90gtvert
¯
Member # 8697

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90gtvert  Ford pictures for 90gtvert    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Put the Torque arm on and your ride will get significantly better.

--------------------
90 GT Vert
93 GT

http://www.110octanephotography.com

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

At this point I am strongly leaning towards finally having my Torque arm installed & seeing how I like it before I totally give up on the SRA. I know the torque arm will definitely improve the handling, BUT will it ACTUALLY improve the ride quality on the street???

[ November 04, 2009, 02:26 AM: Message edited by: EPIK ]

--------------------

50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by EPIK:
Thanks for all the feedback guys... I still need to give this some thought....

quote:

Yeah, this is what I need to do. I have never even been in a car with a Tq arm, because nobody out here in Sac that I know is running 1. My car is pretty low, around 2" lower than stock, but Im hoping i can still run a 2" drop & still get decent ride quality with the TA setup. This is the main reason I was thinking about IRS because you can still have a dumped look with good ride quality... BUT, I would much rather have a SRA because of less weight &a better launch....

What city are you in again?

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm almost ready with mine running the torque arm and the panhard bar new lowers ca and no uppers but it's in a fox

[ November 04, 2009, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: 50Reasons ]

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
Not_so_Stealth
¯
Member # 7849

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Not_so_Stealth  Ford pictures for Not_so_Stealth    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I put mm coilovers,hypercoil 350lb springs,cc plates,tokico illuminas,full length subframe connecters and rear control arms on my fox so I planned on keeping the mach pretty much stock.With all the factory body roll that plan didn't last too long.Like you I wanted mine to do it all.I ended up putting Steeda sport comp springs,cc plates,aluminum rear lowers and adjustable uppers.I went with the tokico d-specs because I heard they could do it all as in drag,autocross/open track.Now my car doesn't sit as low as yours,but with the struts and shocks set at a middle ground setting it rides really well.I dialed them up full firm and could feel every pothole,bump and railroad crossing big time.There's always some compromise,but I think you can have good ride quality with a sra.

--------------------
Performance White 2012 Boss 302
1994 Lightning #652
1989 5.0 LX hatch
2011 Coyote 5.0 - Sold
2003 Mach1 - Sold

SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 1HaTCheD5LiTEr:
quote:
IRS brace, upgraded hardware, and mount bushings will take care of wheel hop.

John, please correct me if I am wrong. From what I have been told, I heard that the IRS brace is used just to protect the pumpkin during wheel hop and not to prevent wheel hop itself. Was I given the [EDIT]wrong[EDIT] info?
The IRS brace serves two purposes.
1. Strengthens the rear mount point for the IRS housing.
2. Distributes the mount point evenly across the surface of the IRS cover.

It will help prevent wheel hop, when combined with the IRS bushings and other items. It will not prevent it installed by itself.

Thanks for the input John. I appreciate it!!
[patriot]

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
RED@7kVERT *8850GT*
¯
Member # 5909

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*  Ford pictures for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i love my dumper cadillac!! i mean mustang!

handles damn good for being on all stock suspension. dare i say i have cut spings??

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

--------------------
02 Z06-11.0 @ 132 1.9 60'
_ _ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _ _
Sold:05 CTS-V-13.1@114
Sold:01 Cobra Vert-12.0@119

its50
¯
Member # 4069

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for its50  Ford pictures for its50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the back end is super duper sexy with irs.i love it and it looks damn good on that white cobra to i never seen one on those years befor
Posts: 940 | From: 510..fremont.. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
blown95svt
¯
Member # 8893

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blown95svt  Ford pictures for blown95svt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I love the way my car feels! Rides super smooth and cAn carve any corner you want! Full griggs kit w/ coilovers. Should be running by the end of this month. I can let ya take her for a spin if ya want Dustin

--------------------
95 cobra blown 331 gr40 suspension
***NEED QUALITY WORK FOR HALF THE PRICE? I DO SIDE JOBS! PM FOR DETAILS***
www.norcalmotorcompany.com

Posts: 1434 | From: roseville | Registered: Jan 2009  |  :
adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I dunno. If your talking about ride quality then I think its gotta have to do with your shocks/struts. The MM/bilstein stuff rides pretty stiff. I have bilstein shocks/struts on my fox and its bumpy. You went with all MM racing stuff. I think your going to expect to feel a rough ride.

[ November 12, 2009, 12:58 AM: Message edited by: adower ]

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

Bigchelis
¯
Member # 5941

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bigchelis  Ford pictures for Bigchelis    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You want to stay as far away from IRS as possible. My 2001 Cobra with 292RWHP and 348RWHP broke a set of stock axles. The first time was at the track with drag radials during a burn out. The 2nd time was regular street driving at around 30MPH on 3rd gear.

I finally dished out the money for Stage 3 axles by the driveshaft shop.

Stick to straight axle unless you are prepared to deal with wheel hop and other undesirable traits of the IRS.

Yes,
It would be smoother and softer.

bigC

Posts: 161 | From: San Jose,Ca | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com