Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » speedometer problem

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: speedometer problem
95gts
¯
Member # 8052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 95gts  Ford pictures for 95gts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 1997 gt that I recently purchased which was all stock at the time. The problem is that the speedometer reads too high. If my speedometer is showing 80 I am actually going 70. I assume the gears are stock since the rest of the car was untouched and i am now running 245/40/18 and 285/35/18 rear tires which should be close enough to stock. I am guessing the speedometer is ok since it works. Any one else have a problem similar to this and if so what was the solution...? Could the speed sensor on the tranny be bad?

--------------------
supercharged 1995 gts, 2015 gt

Posts: 16 | From: pittsburg, ca | Registered: Nov 2007  |  :
30Tunes
¯
Member # 8105

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 30Tunes  Ford pictures for 30Tunes  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you got bigger rims??? that could be it??
i have the same problem but it says 70 and im goin 80 haha

--------------------
SUCCESS ONLY COMES BEFORE WORK IN THE DICTIONARY

1991 Calypso Green Notch
1993 Cobra Clone - SOLD

95gts
¯
Member # 8052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 95gts  Ford pictures for 95gts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i forgot to mention that i had this problem before changing the wheels. the problem was there with the stock 17" gt wheels

--------------------
supercharged 1995 gts, 2015 gt

Posts: 16 | From: pittsburg, ca | Registered: Nov 2007  |  :
Thirteen Twenty
¯
Member # 7961

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thirteen Twenty  Ford pictures for Thirteen Twenty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That tire is approx. 2/10ths of an inch taller so your speedo if anything should read slower. If it's anything better than a pusstang it will have trak-lok, jack it up and check the gear ratio for sure, I used to have something called an abbot box which can be used to adjust the speedo.
Posts: 647 | From: union city | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com