Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Gas Guage Problems?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Gas Guage Problems?
skeletor1987
¯
Member # 6597

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeletor1987  Ford pictures for skeletor1987    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey guys,
i have a 1987 ford mustang 5.0 with a slight gas gauge problem. i just replaced the float in the tank but the gas gauge is still stuck up above full. so i took the dash out and moved the needle all the way down, but when i started the car it just went back up. i am not sure what to do at this point just need some advice. thanks

--------------------
1987 White LX Hatch
1993 White Mazda Miata

gspeedaddict
¯
Member # 6537

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for gspeedaddict  Ford pictures for gspeedaddict    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
probably the sending unit,i got the same problem but no time to change it right now

--------------------
89gt
05 srt-4

1bdpone
¯
Member # 6708

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1bdpone  Ford pictures for 1bdpone    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If the resistor wire from the sending unit to the dash guage is broken (somewhere in between) the guage will go to the top and stay there. You can test the guage by grounding the sending wire. The needle should move downward when grounded.
Posts: 182 | From: Tri Valley | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
*Als50*
¯
Member # 6003

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Als50*  Ford pictures for *Als50*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The anti-slosh module prob took a shit on you. Replace that and c if that solves your problem [Wink]

--------------------
'00XlRangerSlammed-'91Gt347Turbo-'93CalypsoSCFaleen
FOXLIVESMATTER

----------------
*BlackGunsMatter*

Posts: 1897 | From: La Bahia... | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
89FoxLX
¯
Member # 7197

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89FoxLX  Ford pictures for 89FoxLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 2tone50:
The anti-slosh module prob took a shit on you. Replace that and c if that solves your problem [Wink]

+1 If the needle is way above the full and stays there, its the anti-slosh module. The part is discontinued, and almost impossible to find at a junk yard. you have to get one off a guage cluster from 87-89. I got mine on ebay, but dont remember how much I payed for it.
Camaro Kid Z/28
¯
Member # 3100

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camaro Kid Z/28  Ford pictures for Camaro Kid Z/28    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
do they have these modules come on the earlier models?! cause my gauge goes past the full mark when full!

--------------------
1973 Camaro Z/28(clone)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2649130
"4-eyes forever essay!"

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com