Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » x-cam with stock bottom end (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: x-cam with stock bottom end
badazlx
¯
Member # 4899

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for badazlx  Ford pictures for badazlx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
will the x-cam work with the stock bottom end?

[ September 24, 2007, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: ranger guy ]

--------------------
03 mach bolt ons/125 shot

LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LQ9SN95  Ford pictures for LQ9SN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yes
Posts: 8031 | From: Fresno, Ca | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
Glenn
¯
Member # 520

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn  Ford pictures for Glenn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yes, but now you have to worry about piston to valve clearance on your heads. that is a pretty big cam too for a 302 combo without a power adder.

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

Posts: 2009 | From: Stationed on a Pacific Island, Guam | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LQ9SN95  Ford pictures for LQ9SN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Glenn:
now you have to worry about piston to valve clearance on your heads. that is a pretty big cam too for a 302 combo without a power adder.

maybe and maybe

ranger guy, what u have done?

badazlx
¯
Member # 4899

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for badazlx  Ford pictures for badazlx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
planning on whole upper end. trickflow heads,track heat intake ect.

--------------------

Glenn
¯
Member # 520

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn  Ford pictures for Glenn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ranger guy:

any plans on a power adder in the future? I think that is too much of a cam.

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

Posts: 2009 | From: Stationed on a Pacific Island, Guam | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
badazlx
¯
Member # 4899

maye a little nitrous. whats a decent cam with the mods i wanna do?

--------------------

LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

x cam with 1.6 rr will do fine with ur set up. especially if u are adding a bit of juice.
Glenn
¯
Member # 520

I think the TFS stage 1 cam should be good, or an E-Cam, or check out compcams extreme energy cams, like the XE270HR

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

ya tfs1 is coo. but also nothin wrong with the x, or maybe even a F cam. comp/crane are too much money and pretty much kinda do the same shit. E cam, i have it and its ok, but as soon as i get the money ima switch to a F cam [dance]
Glenn
¯
Member # 520

With the lift of the x-cam, you now have to worry about the valve springs on the heads being able to handle the .542* lift.

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

no matter what cam, u need to change the springs......
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by F8LSN8K:

Why? [Confused]

A X-cam on a stock bottom end is overkill. Match that with the heads and intake, it'll run...but the cam will need to be retarded so much it'll run outta steam by 5700.

Bigger isn't always better.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
quote:

Why? [Confused]
well, i know u dont REALLY need to on small cams, but it is a good idea when do a cam install. along with timing chain set, lifters, yadda yadda yadda.

on the cam, well u owned me. lol

Glenn
¯
Member # 520

quote:
well, i know u dont REALLY need to on small cams, but it is a good idea when do a cam install. along with timing chain set, lifters, yadda yadda yadda.

on the cam, well u owned me. lol

[dance]

[ September 24, 2007, 11:24 PM: Message edited by: Glenn ]

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

badazlx
¯
Member # 4899

so? f-cam? my buddie is telling me to run the x or the b-cam with 1.7's? im not sure.

--------------------

lxhatch5.0
¯
Member # 6319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lxhatch5.0  Ford pictures for lxhatch5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Run the B-cam with the 1.7rr that way the valves won't slap the pistons. The car will haul, regardless. You said you were running Trickflows right? I was running 17rr/trickflows/edelbrock intake/ and all the supporting mods. Car pulled hard, was a good daily driver. Never overheated, and the idle wasn't that lumpy. 93Pony recomended that cam with those rockers, it's a proven combo. [patriot]

--------------------
*NorCal

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
B cam1.7's = X cam with 1.6's
Pretty much the same as far as the motor is concerned.

Either way, you can't go wrong. Great bang-for-the-buck camshafts.

With TFS heads you'll have more P2V clearance than a standard 20 degree inline head, however you'll still want to check. I would recomend retarding the camshaft 4 degrees from 'as ground'. It will idle better, make more low/midrange & pull hard up top.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
badazlx
¯
Member # 4899

my buddy has a set of gt40p heads,the cast iron ones. i can get them for damn near free is there a noticable gain from those heads and would it work with the b-cam and 1.7's with the stock bottom end or should i just wait another 2 weeks for the trick flows?

--------------------

warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

even with twist wedge heads you need to get it resprung. they say anything over 540 lift needs new springs. besides any time you change out a cam atleast check you valve springs to make sure you don't have a weak spring.

[ September 25, 2007, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: warhorse58gt ]

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

quote:
my buddy has a set of gt40p heads,the cast iron ones. i can get them for damn near free is there a noticable gain from those heads and would it work with the b-cam and 1.7's with the stock bottom end or should i just wait another 2 weeks for the trick flows?

just wait. and why trick flows? i would personally go with the 165 afr heads, trick flow or edelbrock performer intake, and a f303 cam. ur shit will PULL! [Big Grin]

thats same set up i wanna do, but im keeping my cobra intake just because.

badazlx
¯
Member # 4899

well my buddy swears by the trick flows, there cheap and they perform

--------------------

LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

dont get me wrong they are good, but for the extra $100-$200 for the afr's. it is well worth it. but thats on u.
badazlx
¯
Member # 4899

so afr 165's

--------------------

badazlx
¯
Member # 4899

and im also tryin to figure out a little problem, the car doesnt want to idle, it idles and runs rough around 500 and if i unplug the maf the roughness goes away and it idles fine,im thinkin that the maf is making the car run lean maybe?

--------------------

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com