Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » STEERING AND BREAKS LOCKED WHILE DRIVING...HELP! (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: STEERING AND BREAKS LOCKED WHILE DRIVING...HELP!
SVT'S FINEST
¯
Member # 7522

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SVT'S FINEST  Ford pictures for SVT'S FINEST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I WAS DRIVING TO WORK THIS MORNING AS ANY OTHER DAY. ONLY DIFFRENCE IN THAT MY DAILY DRIVER IS GETTING WORKED ON SO IM DRIVING MY 03 COBRA IN THE MEANTIME.
I WAS APPROACHING A DOWNWARDS RAMP ONTO THE FREEWAY AND AS I WENT TO GO SLOW DOWN I NOTICED THE BREAKS WERE REALLY HARD AS IF THEY FELT LIKE THEY LOCKED AND IT TOOK A LARGE AMOUNT OF PUSHING TO EVEN SLOW DOWN BARELLY ENOUGH. NOT BEING THE ONLY THING MY STEERING WHEEL DID THE SAME! IT FELT LIKE IT LOCKED AND BARELLY TURNED ENOUGH TO MAKE THE TURN! I SHIFTED TO 2ND GEAR APPROACHING THE BOTTOM AND THE CAR WOULDNT GO! ALL OF A SUDDEN THE RPMS JUMPED AND THATS WHEN I PULLED TO THE SIDE!

THE CAR WAS HESITANT TO START THIS MORNING. PROB DUE TO THE RANDOM COLD AND RAIN FROM LAST NIGHT. ( IT TOOK A SEC OR 2 LONGER FOR IT TO START ) BUT THAT WAS THE ONLY DIFFRENCE IN THE TIME IVE BEEN DRIVING MY CAR.

I CHECKED THE BELT AND ALL THE FLUIDS WHEN I GOT TO WORK. HAVENT CHECKED THE BELT BEHIND THE SUPERCHARGER YET THOUGH.

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS THINK!
THANKS!!!!

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So it sounds like the car shut off for a split second and by you throwing it into 2nd caused it to "pop start" up again. Is that about right [Confused]

It's a bit confusing bec you say your brakes locked up [Confused]

Edit: It;s been a while since i researched the tsb/recall stuff on the Termi's but wasn't there one out for a stalling problem.

Can't remember since my last 2 have been flashed w/ multiple different tunes i haven't experienced that ever lol.

Is your car modded or stock?

[ July 11, 2007, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: TRIXSNK ]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCINGUU  Ford pictures for BCINGUU  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like the motor died, then came back to life.

Not a good sign. Better have it checked out.

--------------------
93 Cobra #4563 347ci 12.0@118 505rwhp 524tq
90 GT "Saleen Cobra" style convertible 347ci
67 GT "Eleanor" style coupe 347ci

Posts: 1425 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
SVT'S FINEST
¯
Member # 7522

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SVT'S FINEST  Ford pictures for SVT'S FINEST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
WHAT WOULD HAVE CAUSED THE CAR TO EITHER STALL OR TURN OFF THOUGH? CAUSING THE BREAKS AND THE WHEEL TO LOCK?
I PUT THE CAR IN NUTRUAL WHEN I APPROACHED THE RAMP... IT SHOULDNT STALL OR SHUT OFF IN NUTRUAL RIGHT?

I KNOW THE CAR SHUTS OFF AUTOMATICALLY WHEN YOU HIT A CERTAIN SPEED BUT I WAS NO WHERE NEAR HITTN THAT KIND OF SPEED WHEN APPROACHING A RAMP!

MY MODS ARE SMALLER PULLEY, INTAKE, AND SLP CATS. TUNED THE CAR WITH THE HAND TUNER

03SVT
¯
Member # 5987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVT  Ford pictures for 03SVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had this stalling issue it happened when you go above 40 miles and then stick it neutral and then stop with it still being in neutral. TRIXSNK is right you have the stalling issue. What tune do you have is it the canned tune in the programmer because once I tuned my car with a custom tuner the problem went away. YOu can get it reflashed at FORD with the new one but you have to put your old parts back on.

--------------------
03 Cobra (wife), 06 G35 Coupe (sold), 07 TBSS (mistress), 07 F150 Harley Davidson (girlfriend) 08 BMW M5 (side chick),

03SVT
¯
Member # 5987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVT  Ford pictures for 03SVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Once you stick it back in gear it starts. Also an issue with the MAF having too much or no air in the engine

--------------------
03 Cobra (wife), 06 G35 Coupe (sold), 07 TBSS (mistress), 07 F150 Harley Davidson (girlfriend) 08 BMW M5 (side chick),

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check your door sill for the computer code and post back.

I believe some of the earlier run Termi's had the problem.

Most poeple had it fixed as a tsb from the factory as my first one was.

It was a YDH0 i beleieve.

If it's a canned tune i'd junk that anyway and get a real tune done on a dyno unless you plan to mod some more...........then get the tune [Smile]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

03SVT
¯
Member # 5987

How much did you sell the car to COBREEZY? TRIXSNK. Also what car is going to replace the cobra

--------------------

SVT'S FINEST
¯
Member # 7522

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!

I SAW THE STICKER INSIDE THE DOOR...

ILL CHECK IT OUT ON MY LUNCH! IS IT A SHORT OR LONG NUMBER? DONT KNOW WHAT TO LOOK FOR...THAT STICKER HAS ALOT OF CRAP ON IT!(INFO WISE)

YAH I HAVE TO GET IT CUSTOM TUNNED! I KNOW THAT! HOPEFULLY THIS IS THE FIRST AND LAST TIME THIS WILL HAPPEN TO ME CUZ IT SCARRED THE CRAP OUT OF ME!!! GOING ON A RAMP AND EVERYTHING LOCKING NOT BEING ABLE TO SLOW DOWN AND TURN LIKE IT SHOULD...AHHH!

I HEARD THAT YOU DONT NEED TO GET THE CAR RE-TUNED IF YOU GET A HEAT EXCHANGER. IS THT TRUE?
NO PLANS ON ADDING ANY OTHER MODS TO THE CAR. AS OF RIGHT NOW! [Big Grin]

[ July 11, 2007, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: QUEENCOBRA03 ]

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

quote:
Originally posted by QUEENCOBRA03:
THANKS FOR THE HELP!!

I SAW THE STICKER INSIDE THE DOOR...

ILL CHECK IT OUT ON MY LUNCH! IS IT A SHORT OR LONG NUMBER? DONT KNOW WHAT TO LOOK FOR...THAT STICKER HAS ALOT OF CRAP ON IT!(INFO WISE)

YAH I HAVE TO GET IT CUSTOM TUNNED! I KNOW THAT! HOPEFULLY THIS IS THE FIRST AND LAST TIME THIS WILL HAPPEN TO ME CUZ IT SCARRED THE CRAP OUT OF ME!!! GOING ON A RAMP AND EVERYTHING LOCKING NOT BEING ABLE TO SLOW DOWN AND TURN LIKE IT SHOULD...AHHH!

I HEARD THAT YOU DONT NEED TO GET THE CAR RE-TUNED IF YOU GET A HEAT EXCHANGER. IS THT TRUE?
NO PLANS ON ADDING ANY OTHER MODS TO THE CAR. AS OF RIGHT NOW! [Big Grin]

No need for a re-tune for a h/e.

Be careful because it will probably happen again [Roll Eyes]

The sticker you are looking for is not the one with all the vin info etc.

If it's still there it's a just the ecu # and should only be a few digits long like what i posted "YDH0"

Caps off please [Smile]

03SVT - I won't say the price yet but it's a great deal for what the car has into it [Wink]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

SVT'S FINEST
¯
Member # 7522

THE ONLY STICKER THAT IS IN THE INSIDE OF MY DOOR IS A BLUE STICKER WITH THE VIN NUMBER AND PRESSURE GAGE OF THE TIRES AND STUFF....

IT WAS DATED 03/03 IF THAT HELPS AT ALL...

COPFITY
¯
Member # 1845

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for COPFITY  Ford pictures for COPFITY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok if your steering and your brakes locked up that meens ure having problem with the hydraboost system.

hydraboost uses power steering vacuum to power ure brakes. i would have that checke dby your local ford dealership asap.. i hope its still got a warranty.

--------------------
'92 Mustang LX Coupe
-Procharger P600
'71 Camaro Project
'97 Saturn SL1(saving the planet)

Posts: 884 | From: Pittsburg CA... No "H" cuz we don't hate! | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
SVT'S FINEST
¯
Member # 7522

I BOUGHT THE CAR OFF A PRIVATE OWNER! NO WARRANTY!!!
COPFITY
¯
Member # 1845

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for COPFITY  Ford pictures for COPFITY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well needless to say thats where your troubles might be

ON EDIT: That shouldn't matter.. as long as the milage/years are still within factory warranty they shuld fix it. my brother bought an 04 cadillac from enterprise rent a car and he had the blower motor waranteed thru the dealership because he did not go over the 50,000 mile warranty. call the dealership and find out for yourself.. whats the worst they can tell u no? and if the do tell you no call another one, and another one. my brother went to three different dealerships until he found one that would help him.

my .02

[ July 11, 2007, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: COPFITY ]

--------------------
'92 Mustang LX Coupe
-Procharger P600
'71 Camaro Project

Posts: 884 | From: Pittsburg CA... No "H" cuz we don't hate! | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
COPFITY
¯
Member # 1845

one theory that comes to mind is the fact that u put the car in neutral.. this would cause your engine to operate at idle, causing your power steering pump to not create enough vacuum to operate your power brakes... so when you stepped on the brakes it depleated any vacuum required to operated your steering and your brakes...

thats just my theory tho.. have it checked out.. steering and brakes are important

[Wink]

--------------------
'92 Mustang LX Coupe
-Procharger P600
'71 Camaro Project

BOTIH8R
¯
Member # 7295

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOTIH8R  Ford pictures for BOTIH8R  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
your brakes work off of the p/s pump.so if your engine stalls you will lose both.you probably should check to see how dirty your maf is.mine starts doing this on offramps every couple months.i clean the maf and it goes away.
Posts: 1143 | From: sacramento | Registered: Dec 2006  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by COPFITY:
ok if your steering and your brakes locked up that meens ure having problem with the hydraboost system.

hydraboost uses power steering vacuum to power ure brakes. i would have that checke dby your local ford dealership asap.. i hope its still got a warranty.

Bingo!

Probably lost the 6-rib belt behind the 8-rib Supercharger belt.
The car will still run without the 6-rib but the A/C, PS/Brakes & water pump will not work. The Alternator & Blower are on the 8-rib belt...so the car will still run....till it overheats.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
03SVT
¯
Member # 5987

Queen CObra 03 its your passenger door not drivers side door. MOst likely you have YDH0 I guarantee it. Post September 2002 If I remember correctly

--------------------

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Queen how's that belt looking?

Sorry [Embarrassed] i didn't read all the way through your post about not checking the rear belt.

I'd also check that maf out like Botih8r said and clean it with some electronic component cleaner.

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

SVT'S FINEST
¯
Member # 7522

I FOUND THE STICKER!!!!! [dance]
THANKS 03SVT IT WAS ON THE PASSENGER DOOR!
(WAS LOOKING ON THE WRONG DOOR)

ITS YDH1

[Confused]

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

quote:
I FOUND THE STICKER!!!!! [dance]
THANKS 03SVT IT WAS ON THE PASSENGER DOOR!
(WAS LOOKING ON THE WRONG DOOR)

ITS YDH1

[Confused]

[Cool] but did you check the belt and maf as suggested?

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

SVT'S FINEST
¯
Member # 7522

A FRIENDS COMMING TO COME CHECK IT OUT TODAY!

I HAVE MY CHECK OFF LIST TO GO THROUGH!

THANKS FOR YOUR GUYS' HELP!

ILL KEEP YOU GUYS POSTED!

SVT'S FINEST
¯
Member # 7522

LOOKS LIKE I NEED TO GET THE CAR DYNO / TUNED!!!

JSUT GOT IT CHECKED AND EVERYTHING IS FINE!!!

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

quote:
LOOKS LIKE I NEED TO GET THE CAR DYNO / TUNED!!!

JSUT GOT IT CHECKED AND EVERYTHING IS FINE!!!

Have you ever had the car on a dyno or at least have someone's wideband to use to check the a/f after the canned tune?

Maf and belt looked ok?

Is this the first and only time it's happened?

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

SVT'S FINEST
¯
Member # 7522

NOPE NEVER HAVE HAD IT DYNO OR GOT CHECKED AFTER THE HAND TUNNER!

YAH THIS IS THE FIRST TIME ITS HAPPEND AND THE ONLY TIME ITS HAPPEND...

IVE ONLY HAD THE CAR FOR 3 MONTH (ABOUT) AND SLOWLY PUTTING MODS AND BARALLY DRIVE IT KNOWING THAT IT NEEDS TO GET TUNED. BUT CUZ MY DAILY DRIVER IS GETTING WORKED ON I VE BEEN DRIVING MY COBRA AROUND THIS WEEK...

IVE REFUSED TO EVEN TRY AND STEP ON IT AT ALL SINCE IT HAPPEND AND PUTTING IT AWAY UNTIL I CAN GET IT DYNO / TUNED (THE RIGHT WAY)

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com