Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » sputtering problem

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: sputtering problem
full throttle
¯
Member # 7220

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for full throttle  Ford pictures for full throttle    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sometimes when i drive, my car sputters when im holding a constant throttle in any gear, if i rev it up in neutral, and put it back into gear, it goes away i got a 5 speed 88 lx 5.0, what could cause this problems? help please
rickm347
¯
Member # 5323

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickm347  Ford pictures for rickm347    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
after you do your little trick, how long before the car starts sputtering again??

*i might be off, but that happened on a couple of my foxes, but i would say that the ignition control module (externally mounted on distributer) is starting to fail . . . .just maybe. you can get it tested at autozone for free --rick

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like the TPS is going south. A weak spring in a TPS will cause this.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
rickm347
¯
Member # 5323

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickm347  Ford pictures for rickm347    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thats more realistic than what i said [patriot]
. . . .my bad

full throttle
¯
Member # 7220

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for full throttle  Ford pictures for full throttle    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how do i change the TPS and what does it stand for throttle position sensor? thank you
*BlueBeast88.306*
¯
Member # 6360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *BlueBeast88.306*  Ford pictures for *BlueBeast88.306*  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes, it's right on top of the T/B held on with 2 screws. Depending on your T/B on idle screw position you may need to slightly adjust it after you changr it.
full throttle
¯
Member # 7220

i never changed it before, it happened out of no where, and do you still think its the tps sensor if my throttle was constant when its sputtering and stuff?
full throttle
¯
Member # 7220

?
rickm347
¯
Member # 5323

quote:
Originally posted by full throttle:
do you still think its the tps sensor if my throttle was constant when its sputtering and stuff?

yes. go buy a new tps. if you take your old one to autozone, they will test the old one to ensure that the it is bad. if indeed it is, because thats what your symptoms suggest, have them test the new one before you leave the store --rick
full throttle
¯
Member # 7220

thanks, do you know how much they go for?
rickm347
¯
Member # 5323

$31.99 with 1 year warranty
full throttle
¯
Member # 7220

so i heard if you change a tps, your idle would fuck up unless you tweak or some shit? can someone explain ?
rickm347
¯
Member # 5323

when you change the tps, make sure you are within the correct voltage at the connector.....i believe johnb or blown67 said its supposed to be .95-.99 volts (dont quote me tho). After you get that set, your idle may not be the same. Simply adjust the idle screw til your idle is back down to 800rpm. . . ..good luck [patriot] --rick
rickm347
¯
Member # 5323

I dont remember which repair manual said this, but when you install the TPS, one of the screws is just a hold down and the other screw is for adjustment. the book says to rotate the TPS counterclockwise all the way. Supposingly thats the stock position, but just make sure you have the correct voltage at the connector and you cant go wrong --rick
JBeezy53
CAFords OG
Member # 3960

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JBeezy53  Ford pictures for JBeezy53    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't mess with the idle screw after you set the tps. If you adjust the idle screw then that will change the voltage. Set the tps last.

--------------------
89 Gt
98 Cobra
88 Notch
05 GSXR 750 Blk/Yel

Posts: 1782 | From: Sacramento, Ca | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
full throttle
¯
Member # 7220

how do you set the tps? with a volt meter? and point it to the green wire i suppose?
full throttle
¯
Member # 7220

bump

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com