Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 351W INTAKE QUESTIONS

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 351W INTAKE QUESTIONS
916Rustang
¯
Member # 7575

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 916Rustang  Ford pictures for 916Rustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Which is the best CARB OE intake fr the 351w im having trouble finding any companies that sell a lowwer and upper efi manifold thats CARB OE. thanks guys

-von

--------------------
Not Found On Road Dead Its Lying In Wait,“Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success.”
Henry Ford

Posts: 36 | From: sacramento,ca | Registered: Apr 2007  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
"CARB OE"...you mean one that will pass Smog? If so, there isn't one...not one that will pass visual. All the main (TFS, Edelbrock, Professional Products, Ford Racing) make lowers that will work with any standard upper.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
rickm347
¯
Member # 5323

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickm347  Ford pictures for rickm347    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So . . . .does the stock 351w upper intake work on an aftermarket (trick flow, edelbrock, pro products. . . .etc) lower??

If so, Von you can just use the stock upper to pass smog then swap out the stock one for an aftermarket one. --rick

Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Use a dremel or file to take off all the part numbers on the lower manifold and use the 302 E.O. numbers to pass the visual. It's unlikely they'll even look for the part numbers, but if they do try to match them up with the E.O., they will only be able to find the upper's part # which will match

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
rickm347
¯
Member # 5323

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickm347  Ford pictures for rickm347    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
rustang is going to be putting in a 351w. johnb was talking bout the aftermarket upper and lowers wont pass the visual. and the 302 lower wont work on the 351 block. --rick

*wolfie-how did you get yours to pass smog??

*with that being said, Von just do as i say and no more questions [Big Grin] jk --rick

lxlaw
¯
Member # 7547

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lxlaw  Ford pictures for lxlaw    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just got to love going to the inspection station with a 750 DP and a victor jr, and getting an inspection sticker. damn I love (south) Texas.
Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by rickm347:

*wolfie-how did you get yours to pass smog??

Mine is carbed but the same rules apply. I used a 351W manifold but filed off all the part numbers and just give the smog tech the info from a legal 302 manifold.

Edelbrock has a 351W lower (#3884) that will bolt to the Performer upper (#3822) or the original style RPM upper (#7125), both of which are legal in CA. Might be a bit limiting in performance, but I'll let someone else give their opinions on those since I have yet to ever turn a wrench on an EFI Mustang [Big Grin]

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had the Edelbrock Performer intake on mine when i passed smog with the 5.0 edelbrock plenum cover. Smog refs didnt even notice it was a 351w. They just figured it was any old H/C/I 5.0L

Setup was at the time of smog: 357w, 11:1, edelbrock heads and intake, crane cam modeled after E303, 24#, bbk 351 swap headers, hi flow h pipe, flows

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com