Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Please Help: Rounded off Coolant drain plug in the block PIC

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Please Help: Rounded off Coolant drain plug in the block PIC
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Guys, I need some ideas here.

I managed to round off the allen head coolant plug in my block. I used a 1/4" Allen head socket, which is the right size as far as I know. It fit very snug, but the inner part of the plug stripped so easily, you'd think it was made of play dough.

The 6 sided plug became one big circle within the plug. It no longer has any sides.

Plan B... I tried to JB weld the 1/4" Allen socket into the plug. I let it dry for 24 hrs and applied some torque. Failed miserably.

I have no clue what to do now. How do I get this thing out without pulling the motor? Does anyone have any ideas? Please help. I've been screwing with this thing so much I am afraid to just leave it in there. I have an aftermarket K-member, so there is plenty of room to maneuver.

And yes the freeze plug in the pic is leaking... that was my whole motivation behind trying to drain the coolant via that stripped plug.

I was thinking about actually spot welding the allen head socket to the plug, but thought I'd consult everyone before trying to find a welder

Thanks,
Luke

-

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
BOTIH8R
¯
Member # 7295

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOTIH8R  Ford pictures for BOTIH8R  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
try vise grips or an easyout first
Posts: 1143 | From: sacramento | Registered: Dec 2006  |  :
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
can you get a hammer and a chisel in there?

looks like you may have enough room.

put a little heat on it if you can.

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
second thought maybe you can beat an 8mm allen into it and then use vise grips on the side of it while giving it a go with the 8mm.

If you can get an 8mm beat into it you can also use an impact screw driver but with an 8mm bit.

You know the ones you slap on the back and they turn while you do that.

Guys used to use them on the phillips head bolts on old honda motorcycle cases.

harbor freight sells them.

--------------------

phil a
¯
Member # 6951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phil a  Ford pictures for phil a    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
why don't you drill through it and pound in an easy-out? you will only get minimal shavings in the block if you are careful in your drilling, which will come out easily once it is flushed.

good luck.

Posts: 1261 | From: toledo oh | Registered: Jul 2006  |  :
AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do you have a torx bit of roughly the same size?
Pound it in there nice and tight and see if you can twist the plug out. I've done that a couple times with rounded out allen heads...

--------------------
90 Notch

Posts: 1896 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Spray some penetrant then get some vice grips on there and hit it with a hammer to shock it loose..
SPEC -Fabrication
¯
Member # 4980

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SPEC -Fabrication  Ford pictures for SPEC -Fabrication    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just drill it out and use a easy out! why bother with anything else? Dont fight it with Vise grips [Wink] If you dont feel comfortable doing it bring it over. [patriot]

--------------------
1999 Saleen#124
1997 Tahoe
2006 ZX636R
CWS certified welder

Posts: 1321 | From: drinkin BEER! | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks for the suggestions guys

what is "easyout"

never heard of it

Oh, and there is no way in hell I can drill due to not having enough room to work.

I have maybe 2 inches before the header going straight out from the plug...

Any other ideas?

--------------------
Stangless

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
an easy out is basically a reverse threaded drill bit.

-

I've used them before, MAKE SURE YOU DONT BREAK THE EASYOUT!!

it can't be drilled!

I would personally just drill that plug out, that should break the tension on it, letting you get a pair of vice grips to turn it.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
DRIVINFST
¯
Member # 2430

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DRIVINFST  Ford pictures for DRIVINFST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Drill + Easyout. If the header is in the way, take it out.
Posts: 555 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  :
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

so you drill a hole, hammer the eay out in, and the turn counter-clockwise?

Is that how the easy out works?

--------------------
Stangless

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I believe drill the hole, turn the easy out clockwise to get it into the hole some, then counter clockwise to remove both together.

The reverse threads should dig in when you turn counter clockwise.

Sorry been a little while since i used one [Razz]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you never used an easy out i'd sujest gettin that welder with that 8 mil allen pounded in an tackin it good u got plenty of room. it well come right out with no mess an no chances of screwin anything else up unless u miss an weld the block.
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

quote:
Originally posted by Duncan Motors:
if you never used an easy out i'd sujest gettin that welder with that 8 mil allen pounded in an tackin it good u got plenty of room. it well come right out with no mess an no chances of screwin anything else up unless u miss an weld the block.

know any welders that can make a houser call, lol

car is in pieces in stands

--------------------
Stangless

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
maybe virge .
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Luke, if you CANNOT get it and can tow it I can have it removed at my shop.

BUT, if you can do it there, take a torch and heat up that area to break down the lock tite/sealer they use at the factory. Not sure if you can grab it at all on the inside, if not, next time you know to heat it up first [Wink]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Or if you have a dremel, slot the plug like a flat head screw and then use a chisel in the slot and a hammer to break the thing loose...

--------------------
90 Notch

Posts: 1896 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by AJBlackGT:
Or if you have a dremel, slot the plug like a flat head screw and then use a chisel in the slot and a hammer to break the thing loose...

HEAT UP THE BLOCK!!!!

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get a punch and hit all 6 points,then hammer on your socket..heat up the area around the plug only...longer the better. If you can get a impact in there using swivels & extentions with 25 degree angles..should work.
otherwise you need the welder.

Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

you can always just leave it be.

I doubt it will leak if you cant even budge it.

drain your coolant from the freeze plug once you hammer it out.

--------------------

mnstruc
¯
Member # 5652

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mnstruc  Ford pictures for mnstruc    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
pull the header and everything else out of your way and drill the thing out and use an easy out. Otherwise you will spend hours fighting with it. I would also apply some heat to that area prior to turning the easy out. Welding a hex key is only going to complicate things in my opinion, though that will get some heat in there..................

--------------------
63 Fairlane 500
65 GT-1 Mustang Race Car
67 Mustang A code Coupe
68 Ranchero GT
72 Bronco Sport
03 Mustang GT
07 F-350 4x4 Dually Diesel

Posts: 95 | From: Sunnyvale, CA | Registered: May 2005  |  :
RED@7kVERT *8850GT*
¯
Member # 5909

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*  Ford pictures for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
um.

some of these suggestions are a little out there...a good pair of vise grips...get it on there as tight as you can....and turn it slowly...should back right out.... i would think....

--------------------
02 Z06-11.0 @ 132 1.9 60'
_ _ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _ _
Sold:05 CTS-V-13.1@114
Sold:01 Cobra Vert-12.0@119

HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by court:
you can always just leave it be.

I doubt it will leak if you cant even budge it.

drain your coolant from the freeze plug once you hammer it out.

Yes exactly.Leave it alone and change the freezeplugs out.It isnt going to leak and really there is no reason for you to have to drain the water from there.
Posts: 22469 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 95VERT306 '8850GT':
um.

some of these suggestions are a little out there...a good pair of vise grips...get it on there as tight as you can....and turn it slowly...should back right out.... i would think....

not going to happen,not enough room and material showing to do so.
Posts: 22469 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com