Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » need schooling,4cyl-V8 swap

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: need schooling,4cyl-V8 swap
8t9lx
¯
Member # 5039

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 8t9lx  Ford pictures for 8t9lx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Can someone tell me whats needed to convert a 4cyl to a V8? I kep seeing abunck of 4 bangers here for sale for cheap and I`ve been thinking about picking one up and converting. Is it legal? Thanks.

--------------------
Anthony

Posts: 124 | From: Carmichael, CA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  :
Stan G
¯
Member # 6226

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stan G  Ford pictures for Stan G    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it's legal but you must use the motor/ computer and all smog devices from a car that is the same year or newer then the 4 banger . that also means the exhaust must have the same number and type of cats in the same locations.

Then you have to go to a smog ref and get it approved .

Not difficult, but not trivial either.

I moved a 91 5.0 into an 85 rx-7 and the ref got me on 3 minor items that were easily corrected., but I swapped everything over .

--------------------
1985 RX-7, 347/T-5 , T/F T/W heads, typhoon intake, Tfs2 cam, pulleys, 2500 lbs .
3.63 rear gears , Megasquirt

Posts: 105 | From: Sun Coast , Florida | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
8t9lx
¯
Member # 5039

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 8t9lx  Ford pictures for 8t9lx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks but whats involved mechanicaly besides the motor swap? Are the cross members the same? do I just have to change frame mounts for the V8?

--------------------
Anthony

Posts: 124 | From: Carmichael, CA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  :
vpr_klr
¯
Member # 3353

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for vpr_klr  Ford pictures for vpr_klr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You need to get a V8 k-member, a V8 wiring harness(engine and inside the vehicle), a V8 Trans(the 4 cyl 5-speeds are not the same). Double hump crossmember for the trans. I would suggest buying a donor car or hey, talk to Haulin', not only does he know his shit, but he probably has everything you need.

Sending one your way, Haulin'! [patriot]

--------------------
Project crustang has begun
14 mustangs and counting...

HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by vpr_klr:
Haulin', not only does he know his shit, but he probably has everything you need.Sending one your way, Haulin'! [patriot]

Hey thanx bro. [patriot]

8T9LX I got your pm but its alot to discuss through pm's.Call me in the afternoons at 408-420-3003 to discuss what it takes!

Posts: 22469 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by vpr_klr:
You need to get a V8 k-member

actually you don't, the k-member's are exactly the same

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
1320MASTER
¯
Member # 773

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1320MASTER  Ford pictures for 1320MASTER  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You don't have to go to the ref to get approved.The 5.0L was offered in the car you just have to have the correct emissions equipment the year of the car or newer.Now if your installing a 351ci the ref will reject it due to a 351 is a truck engine not available in the mustang line.You would only have go to the ref if your installing a 4.6L or GM engine.

--------------------
EA Smog Tech/Smog Lic/ASE Master Tech
93 SSP Coupe 440ci sbf coming soon

Posts: 593 | From: Sacramento Calif | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Curt
¯
Member # 6254

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt  Ford pictures for Curt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
they wouldn't be able to tell it was a 351...

--------------------
'90 GT
'94 Toyota 4wd "It have problem"
'56 F100 5.8 AFR185's Vortech SC S-trim

Posts: 866 | From: Monterey/Rocklin | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1320MASTER:
Now if your installing a 351ci the ref will reject it due to a 351 is a truck engine not available in the mustang line.

95 Cobra R had a 351......

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com