Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » T5 question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: T5 question
MICKEY79
¯
Member # 7124

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MICKEY79  Ford pictures for MICKEY79  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here are the symptoms that Im having, any help please.

When I shift into 3rd and 4th gear Ive got a grind but if I hesitate it will slip in, sometimes without any grind and sometimes with a little grind. The other thing is that for the first ten minutes of driving, its fine no grinds. Its been like this for months and it hasnt gotten worse. I was woundering if its a fluid issue or something more major? The only reason why I didnt check into this earlier was because I work less than ten minutes away and dont drive it too much farther than that on a regular basis. Its starting to bug though.

--------------------
eewh weee

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Make sure you have the correct trans fluid...The T5 actually takes Dextron ATF....

Other than that it sounds like the syncro keys are worn....

Change the fluid and see what happens...

Good luck..

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah i had that problem as well, at cold it would go in fine,gets warm they wont go,or like you said somtimes it would. check how the fluid looks like,see if its low.Also i had that problem because my clutch cable needed to be ajusted. if you have upgraded to the adjustible cable you could check that as well, but most likely it sounds like the Syncros Are done [Frown] ive seen that most of the t-5's start going out after there 100k period or when you start racing it,getting on it, or after mods [Big Grin] ive had 2 t5's go to waste on me(are used). I really think youre going to need a new tranny. and i would reccomend if your going to keep the car, either rebuilt the T5 thats in the car. or if thats your only car to get around in you can try to get a cheap one that needs rebuild. or i guess just buy a good used one if your on a buget on here.

Oh yea, and if you do change it, this is the time if you got a bad rear main seal leak,or bad pilot bearing to get repair! [patriot] Good luck

[ January 15, 2007, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: Eddie306 ]

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

MICKEY79
¯
Member # 7124

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MICKEY79  Ford pictures for MICKEY79  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So I just got done putting some Lucas Transmission fluid in and it seemed to actually work. When I put my finger through the top hole I couldnt feel any fluids. It took a good hour to pump enough fluid in there to fill it up. That was a pain to do. Shifts into 3rd, and 4th with normal shifting but if I shift hard it catches just a little. So I quess its going to need a rebuild at some point. Hopefully I can make it to the summer so I have the R6 to use as a daily. Anyone know a good mechanic that can rebuild a T5?

--------------------
eewh weee

MICKEY79
¯
Member # 7124

So after a couple of days of driving the car its done a 180. Instead of slipping in to gear while its cold, now it wont until its warmed up a couple of miles? So basically I just need to yank it out and get it rebuilt...ANYONE KNOW SOMEONE THAT DOES REBUILDS?

[ January 19, 2007, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: MICKEY79 ]

--------------------
eewh weee

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com