Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 2000 TO 2001 Mustang headlight conversion?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 2000 TO 2001 Mustang headlight conversion?
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey guys, is it 2001 that the headlights on Mustangs became "smoked/tinted"???...

All you have to do is switch lens's, right?...Ford want $280 for the 2000 lights, because you have to buy the headlamps as an assembly....The 01's are WAY cheaper because they're available as just the lens itself....

Another member wants to replace them on his 2000...

Remove and install, straight bolt in???....

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WIKD 281  Ford pictures for WIKD 281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
YO! Whats up bro? I just called my Ford parts guy and he says that you cannot only buy the lens. If it is available I dont recommend it because most of the time it ends up being a really hard job. There are some taillamp lenses that are very simple and will come off and on but not most headlamps. The glue that they use makes it hard to take them aparts without breaking something. If you do have the time and patience to get them apart then you have to make sure you re-seal them correctly. Otherwise, you start getting moisture inside the light and then you can start blowing bulbs. I can get you a reman. light from I company I deal with, or an aftermarket. BUT- I will let you know, the reman. light will sometimes have some very small scratches on the lense and/or body. The aftermarket light will usually not fit very well right at the corners where the rubber seals fit against the fenders. You can adjust them only soo much. Your best fit and quality will be from an OEM light, but they are odviously more expensive.
[patriot]

--------------------
----------------------------------
Faster than most, slower than less.

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You could always try some tint to cover them up... they sell kits for pretty cheap on ebay

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
BLK02GT
¯
Member # 5653

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BLK02GT  Ford pictures for BLK02GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i bought my 2001-up smoked headlights off of ebay for $180....not too bad of a price. [patriot]

--------------------
2019 Ford Expedition Limited
2002 Ford Mustang GT

Originally Member #4241

Posts: 1247 | From: Tracy, ca | Registered: May 2005  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by WIKD 281:
YO! Whats up bro? I just called my Ford parts guy and he says that you cannot only buy the lens. If it is available I dont recommend it because most of the time it ends up being a really hard job. There are some taillamp lenses that are very simple and will come off and on but not most headlamps. The glue that they use makes it hard to take them aparts without breaking something. If you do have the time and patience to get them apart then you have to make sure you re-seal them correctly. Otherwise, you start getting moisture inside the light and then you can start blowing bulbs. I can get you a reman. light from I company I deal with, or an aftermarket. BUT- I will let you know, the reman. light will sometimes have some very small scratches on the lense and/or body. The aftermarket light will usually not fit very well right at the corners where the rubber seals fit against the fenders. You can adjust them only soo much. Your best fit and quality will be from an OEM light, but they are odviously more expensive.
[patriot]

Harold, you're over shooting things!......By lens I mean the factory lamp assembly without the bulbs and wiring...You can only buy the factory lamp assembly for the 00 and that comes as a complete unit with bulbs and all the other shit $200+...BUT for 01 you can buy the headlamp ONLY, no wires, bulbs etc for less than half the price....Plus the 01's are factory tinted, right?....

I haven't checked into it, but I'm 99% positive you just pull those black metal tabs and the whole headlight assm comes out and then you just switch hardware...I just wanted conformation for that....

Am I right?...

[ January 14, 2007, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: BlackNGold ]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WIKD 281  Ford pictures for WIKD 281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
YO! Being a parts guy you gotta get your wording correct!! haha! Yes, all you have to do is pull the 2 black tabs and change the headlamp over. Nice and easy.
Lens and housing is without all the bulbs,wires, ect.
Headlamp assembly is the whole thing.
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Hope your doing well bud! Talk to you soon.
Harold

[ January 15, 2007, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: WIKD 281 ]

--------------------
----------------------------------
Faster than most, slower than less.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com