Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » cut outs on flowmasters? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: cut outs on flowmasters?
75 chevy
¯
Member # 6717

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 75 chevy  Ford pictures for 75 chevy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
2 chambered flows...will cut outs make more horsepower?

[ January 11, 2007, 02:23 AM: Message edited by: morespeed ]

--------------------
2009 prius
1975 monza

Posts: 1917 | From: california | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Depends on what your combination is. If you are near stock, cut-outs will actually hurt performance.

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1784 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
75 chevy
¯
Member # 6717

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 75 chevy  Ford pictures for 75 chevy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
shorties,off road x,2 chambers.

I was thinking make the cut outs and then thread in a plug.

--------------------
2009 prius
1975 monza

Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Are those the only modifications to your entire engine? If so, cut-outs really aren't needed.

However, if you plan on doing big modifications down the road, installing threaded plugs OR the electrical/mechanical cut-outs is an option you might want to think about.

Personally, I think cut-outs sound like crap. I would take a 3" muffler on a turbo 377ci small block any day.

...Not that I plan on building such a combination [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1784 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what do you need cutouts for? your not going to gain anything noticable but a bunch of noise.look into getting a better muffler as the flowmaster line is old technolgy.
Posts: 22469 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
75 chevy
¯
Member # 6717

I don't want to spend money on mufflers right now. I was thinking to do the cut outs. 4 more horsepower? 2 hp per muffler?

--------------------
2009 prius
1975 monza

Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
spintechs the way to go if you want to see an increase

[ January 11, 2007, 08:01 PM: Message edited by: Eddie306 ]

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by morespeed:
I don't want to spend money on mufflers right now. I was thinking to do the cut outs. 4 more horsepower? 2 hp per muffler?

The amount of money you are going to spend on cutouts and installation would be better spent on a real set of mufflers.and im not following you on the 2hp per muffler comment.I picked up 3/10's off JUST a muffler change [Wink] FLOWMASTERS are garbage and the run of the mill ones arent rated for anything making power.
75 chevy
¯
Member # 6717

no money... still paying for the clutch.

labor isn't an issue. how much would the plugs cost at home depot? $3-$4.00.

--------------------
2009 prius
1975 monza

NCALSVT
¯
Member # 3205

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NCALSVT  Ford pictures for NCALSVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i would listen to haulinassmotorsports
HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

quote:
no money... still paying for the clutch.

labor isn't an issue. how much would the plugs cost at home depot? $3-$4.00.

do your thing then,just trying to give you some advice.it sounds like you already have your mind set on doing them.........good luck [Wink]

EDIT:

I was under the impression you were getting "REAL" cutouts from Flowtech,MAC etc,ya know an exhaust company....These go inline before the muffler and are the diameter of your exhaust.You simply pull the cutout cover off or there is a setup where you can do it with a cable ran to the inside of the car.Thats why I said it would cost just as much or close to getting REAL MUFFLERS [Wink]

I have NO IDEA what your trying to do but it sounds pretty rigged if you ask me,but what do I know [Razz]

[ January 11, 2007, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: HaulinAss Motorsports ]

Motorhead6T5
¯
Member # 4969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Motorhead6T5  Ford pictures for Motorhead6T5    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ditch the muffler,Just have the exhaust extended out to the rear. Wala ...cheap slp loudmouth exhaust.

Edit: You could even take your stock axle back down there and have them hack the muffler off and replace it with pipe.

[ January 11, 2007, 11:52 PM: Message edited by: Motorhead6T5 ]

--------------------
65 Fastback
72 Malibu

HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

quote:
Originally posted by Motorhead6T5:
Ditch the muffler,Just have the exhaust extended out to the rear. Wala ...cheap slp loudmouth exhaust.

Edit: You could even take your stock axle back down there and have them hack the muffler off and replace it with pipe.

backpressure is a neat thing,keep the mufflers! [Wink]
Motorhead6T5
¯
Member # 4969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Motorhead6T5  Ford pictures for Motorhead6T5    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by HaulinAss Motorsports:
quote:
Originally posted by Motorhead6T5:

backpressure is a neat thing,keep the mufflers! [Wink]
A lot of people run a o/r h or x with slp and have good results,which is basicly what he would have. Its just loud and sounds like garbage.

--------------------
65 Fastback
72 Malibu

lostsoul
¯
Member # 5797

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lostsoul  Ford pictures for lostsoul    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have the SLP's with the stock pipes and cat.. = sounds good.. I heard others that took off the cats and sounded too loud and crappy. We are in California.. thats illegal [Big Grin]

--------------------
slp/ati procharger

75 chevy
¯
Member # 6717

all I was thinking is those little bumps on the back side of the muffler... cut them out thread in a plug. pull the plugs out whenever I wanna run it.

???

--------------------
2009 prius
1975 monza

HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

quote:
all I was thinking is those little bumps on the back side of the muffler... cut them out thread in a plug. pull the plugs out whenever I wanna run it.

???

and that would do what for you?
BUKSING
¯
Member # 6594

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BUKSING  Ford pictures for BUKSING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i finally got what this guy is tryin to do... he actually wants to put an additional hole in the back of his flows... thats hella rigged... dont do it. just add dumps(turn downs)..way more better and practical for what you are trying to do.
75 chevy
¯
Member # 6717

I don't know what it would do. that was why I was asking. I was hoping for a little more flow.

--------------------
2009 prius
1975 monza

Daniel50
¯
Member # 5629

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daniel50  Ford pictures for Daniel50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you already have plenty of flow for you horsepower level. the exhaust is not holding you back

--------------------
89 2.3- Sold
91 5.0- 12.7@110 sold
94 5.0- 13.0@105 sold
97 Cobra: Sold
95 5.0- sold
95 5.0-bone stock

Posts: 1017 | From: Discovery Bay, CA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I don't know what it would do. that was why I was asking. I was hoping for a little more flow.

This isn't worth the effort. You will gain nothing and ruin a set of mufflers.

If you are looking for free/cheap HP there a plenty of other tricks you can do.

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

quote:
Originally posted by 92stangLX:
quote:

This isn't worth the effort. You will gain nothing and ruin a set of mufflers.

If you are looking for free/cheap HP there a plenty of other tricks you can do.

exactly!
Motorhead6T5
¯
Member # 4969

If you are gonna do it,do it right...

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2D670136&N=700+4294923429+4294920534+115&autoview=sku

You will gain no power though. Their was a dyno test done with stock,no mufflers,and every aftermarket muffler. There was no gain more than 2hp between any of them.

Do you have under drive pulleys yet? Those give a bit more punch,somthing you can actualy feel and record on a dyno. You could always up the shot if you do it smart.

--------------------
65 Fastback
72 Malibu

Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
spintechs bro, listen to castro bro. your doing one of them mexican power gains.thats a nono

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

CMELEVU
¯
Member # 2563

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CMELEVU  Ford pictures for CMELEVU    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When it comes to bench racing/dyno, my friend is a pro. He's going with these, http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=WLK%2D17223&N=700+4294923429+400358+115&autoview=sku

supposedly they flow 2200cfm. I dont think running an open exhaust is going to be very ear friendly in a street car. Plus I agree with some previous posts, on a stock displacement motor, back pressure is your friend.

Posts: 201 | From: Marysville | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com