Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » How do you know when you have 4 cyl springs?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: How do you know when you have 4 cyl springs?
stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i mean.. i have several sets of springs in my garage. i know there is a set of 4cyl springs in there, but i dont know which is spring is which.
I should have a set of 5.0, 4 cy and 4.6 cobra springs. how can i tell them appart?
I wanted to install them before monday.
Is the eibach drag-lunch set up really worth the money? i mean.. 260 bucks its quite a bit of cash.
Should i buy the moroso trick springs? they are only 100 bucks, much much cheaper.
thanks. any ideas, suggestions.
i forgot, all this parts will ofcourse be installed on my 96. The car is not my daily driver.

thanks.

--------------------
=(

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Moroso Trick fronts...and anything for the rear. I'd keep the V8 ones, as you will bottom out (compressed spring) with the 4cyl's on a heavy car like yours.

If the springs still have the colored tape on them, that's one way of ID.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
Moroso Trick fronts...and anything for the rear. I'd keep the V8 ones, as you will bottom out (compressed spring) with the 4cyl's on a heavy car like yours.

If the springs still have the colored tape on them, that's one way of ID.

thank you John.
So just get the moroso Trick fronts?
I was planing on leaving the rear alone.
I just went to summit's site and the application for the moroso springs say for "87-93" am i looking at the wrong type? Does it even matter?
thanks.. just want to make sure.

--------------------
=(

twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for twisted54  Ford pictures for twisted54  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
shouldn't matter...I had those on my 94...87/93 Moroso trick springs. You'll probably need to cut at least a coil off though.

--------------------
2013 Black on Black 5.0 with Boost N Things - CORN FED 🌽

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You'll be fine, even with the Moroso's being listed as 87'93's. And like Tony stated, the rears are fine. Cut part-coil's off to get the ride-height you desire...that's how my 93 is now.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

stangless
¯
Member # 1414

quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
You'll be fine, even with the Moroso's being listed as 87'93's. And like Tony stated, the rears are fine. Cut part-coil's off to get the ride-height you desire...that's how my 93 is now.

John and/or Tony, how did you guys get the moroso to fit into the A arm? any tips?
I'll be picking up a pair of moroso springs from a member here on friday and wanted to get them installed for monday's race.
I installed a pair of moroso front springs on my coupe and that was a major pain in the ass. i swore to never ever do it again, but i guess i'll just have to since i realy hope that gets me that extra .10 i need.
Are there any tips? i remember not being able to use the compressor that goes inside the spring, and using the ones for coil overs but even that was a pain in the ass..
Thank you so much.
Jersey

--------------------
=(

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Yup, it's going to be a pain all over again. Same setup on your Cobra. Use a internal spring compressor with a very short pull...meaning, one that doesn't have alot of threads. I bought one from Autozone years ago and modified it for installing these as well as stock springs.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com