Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 6 speed and Clutch to handle 700rwhp? What do you suggest? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: 6 speed and Clutch to handle 700rwhp? What do you suggest?
WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WIKD 281  Ford pictures for WIKD 281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am on the fence on wether to sell my car. I am considering going back to a 6 speed and would like to know what is the strongest setup? I was thinking of running a D+D performance Viper spec. 6 speed tranny with a Spec stage 4 clutch. I will be mostly driving on the street but ocassinally might be going back to the drag strip and would launch on E/T Drags so I need something that is going to be stout. In my car I have used a Kevlar 11" clutch that was made by a guy down in San Jose and had good luck with it. However, my previous T-56 out of a 2000 cobra R from D+D performance didnt hold up to the abuse at all. Whats a good clutch now a days that doesnt chatter with street driving? How about flywheel, is aluminum better than steel?
Thanks for any help! [patriot]

--------------------
----------------------------------
Faster than most, slower than less.

98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would give Walt at Pro-motion a call. I can post his number later or maybe Drew can if he sees this thread. He can set you up with just about anything you really need.

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

BOTIH8R
¯
Member # 7295

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOTIH8R  Ford pictures for BOTIH8R  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
liberty
Posts: 1143 | From: sacramento | Registered: Dec 2006  |  :
WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WIKD 281  Ford pictures for WIKD 281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 64valves:
liberty

Liberty??????

--------------------

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Liberty & Pro-motion do all the NMRA stuff. Either place can get you what you need.
I've persoanlly delt with Walt at Pro-Motion & have had good success running his clutches on customers cars with 650+RWHP/TQ. Never ran one of his trannies.

Drag stip only, you may want a pro-shifted setup...or perhaps a G-force.... I'd talk with Walt or Liberty on exactly what you want out of the tranny.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Thanks sean! I will try to make some phone calls tomm [patriot]
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't know if the record of the fastest 5-speed mustang is still alive @8.99/154 but MMR built the owner's T-5.

http://www.modularmustangracing.com/prod_trans_drive.htm

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 88DroptopGT:
I don't know if the record of the fastest 5-speed mustang is still alive @8.99/154 but MMR built the owner's T-5.

http://www.modularmustangracing.com/prod_trans_drive.htm

I happened to be at the track when they ran that. [Smile]
The MMR stuff is basically a Tremec with heat-treated gears. Once heat treated the gears are not as brittle as they once were....so instead of shocking the tranny & breaking teeth off, the gears 'give' a little bit. Unfortunately the draw back is the tranny will wear out faster. Probably a non-issue with a car like this though.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Since you said you'd drive it on the street a fair amount of the time have you ever considered a twin-disc set-up for light pedal pressure but still high clamping force?

As for the tranny i'm not sure what would be suitable for your application but if i had more power i'd end up with a D&D Viper spec unless i knew of another that blew that away.

Sounds like lots of money to harness that amount of HP [burnout]

My set-up is a CF DFX 26 spline w/ an Alum. Fidanza plate.

I'm only pushing 600ish rwhp though and there is a very slight chatter depending on how you drive........but ask anyone here and they'll let ya know that i drive my Cobra all over the place especially to and from the track (4+hrs. round trip)

[ January 04, 2007, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: TRIXSNK ]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check your pm's harold. [patriot]

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Thanks for the info. guys! Now just have to decide if im going to sell it or keep it [patriot]

--------------------

Larry
¯
Member # 5176

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larry  Ford pictures for Larry    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Harold! YOu mean that Cobra R tranny I bought from you was not handeling your HP??

You know I just put down 700 rwhp on that tranny and the Kavlar Clutch. Gertting ready to hit the 760, 770 rwhp numbers. I am going with the stage 3 clutch ...supposed to handel 800 lbs of torque.

Larry

--------------------
FAST COBRA VERT.

WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Allright Allright Larry. RWHP nothing.
Show me the Track times. Time slips please.
[Big Grin] [patriot]

--------------------

WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

[burnout]

--------------------

Larry
¯
Member # 5176

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larry  Ford pictures for Larry    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Harold! NOt trying to flaunt HP///Looking for some answers on tranny and clutch, like you.

I will be beating the Cobra R tranny you sold me a year ago...I suppose If I find a good clutch the tranny is my only weak spot..

Yes I will be showing some time slips in about 3 months??
Bought some 17x9 Konig rims with MT et streets brand new.

--------------------
FAST COBRA VERT.

WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

quote:
Originally posted by Larry:
Harold! NOt trying to flaunt HP///Looking for some answers on tranny and clutch, like you.

I will be beating the Cobra R tranny you sold me a year ago...I suppose If I find a good clutch the tranny is my only weak spot..

Right on man! Let me know when you go to the track, would love to watch [patriot]

--------------------

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Larry:

[Eek!] I'd like to see that as well with over 700rwhp [burnout] [burnout] [burnout]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Looks like 10.43@125 is the time to beat [patriot]
"Thats with the top up" [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
SN95.

--------------------

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Twin disks are hard on syncros.
A synco's job is to slow down the rotating clutch disk to allow smooth engagment of the next gear. The rotating clutch disk has mass. Add another disk & the syncro must slow down twice the mass. This results in severely worn syncros in a short amount of time. Certain trannys can handle twin disk setups, others can not.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

quote:
Originally posted by 93PONY:
Twin disks are hard on syncros.
A synco's job is to slow down the rotating clutch disk to allow smooth engagment of the next gear. The rotating clutch disk has mass. Add another disk & the syncro must slow down twice the mass. This results in severely worn syncros in a short amount of time. Certain trannys can handle twin disk setups, others can not.

Thanks for the explanation Shaun [worship]

By the way i'm going to shoot JeffS a pm but if you talk to him can you let him know Patrick has a ? for him.

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Trixsnk> what did you pay for the centerforce clutch? Why did you go with the DFX instead of the dual friction? Im not sure if theyre the same thing, but when I was on their website earlier I saw they were under diff. categories.
Are you still running the stock 03 cobra T-56? Havent had any problems? Do you launch on slicks? [patriot]

--------------------

outlaw10.5
¯
Member # 7385

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for outlaw10.5  Ford pictures for outlaw10.5    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Tranny http://www.gforcetransmissions.com/tran_gt-56.asp

Clutch
http://news.hspn.com/articles/1052/1/High-Performance-Street-Twin-Clutch-From-McLeod-Industries/Page1.html

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've been running a RAM 900 series in my Cobra for well over 2 years now. No problems and it handles the 700+ my setup is pushing. [Smile]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Outlaw> thanks for the heads up. I emailed them, hopefully tomm. I'll hear back from them.
Thanks [patriot]

JohnB> Thanks for the reply also. Please forgive me> but what is a Ram 900? Tranny or clutch? Sounds like its a 5 speed tranny, no?

--------------------

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's the clutch. Trans is a early TKO.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com