Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Questions about upgrading axles...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Questions about upgrading axles...
stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Questions about upgrading axles...so, my stock axles seem to be on borrowed time, i have over 18 4-5k dumps with et streets on them and they are still holding strong. I hear of people breaking them with stock cars and drag radials, so maybe it's time to upgrade.
I wanted to do this when i swapped gears, but i didn't have the cash back then.
I was thinking of going with strange 31 spline axles, what else do i need? i need to replace the posi, correct? what brand posi is best. The car will never really have that much power. at best it'll go low 12s, but it will be constantly dropped from 4-5k rpms so i want something that will not break.

Thanks.

[ January 01, 2007, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: Jmir018 ]

--------------------
=(

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jmir018:
so, my stock axles seem to be on borrowed time, i have over 18 4-5k dumps with et streets on them and they are still holding strong. I hear of people breaking them with stock cars and drag radials, so maybe it's time to upgrade.
I was thinking of going with strange 31 spline axles, what else do i need? i need to replace the posi, correct? what brand posi is best. The car will never really have that much power. at best it'll go low 12s, but it will be constantly dropped from 4-5k rpms so i want something that will not break.

Thanks.

If You upgrade to a larger spline You will have to upgrade the carrier to accept the larger splines. With the power level's You are talking about You could get away with rebuilding Your current rear and just get some aftermarket 28 spline axel's. I would say Your chances of breaking Your stock axel's on street tires/DR's with a 12 second car are very low. If You are going to spend the money to upgrade then You should go with a detroit locker and call it a day. My locker and axel's ran Me about 1000 dollar's when all was said and done.

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

forced331
¯
Member # 1270

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for forced331  Ford pictures for forced331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can go with a 31 spline traction lock. Its like the stock setup, but can accomodate31 spline axles. There is a guy on the corral that goes by the name 70maverick selling a bunch of explorer and f-150 take offs (31 spline taction lock) for $90 shipped. He claims they have between 5-10k miles. I bought one and it looks new. Plus they are rebuildable just in case you have issues. That would be a budget route!

--------------------
1992 Ford Mustang LX (Original Owner)"Titanium Frost" 331stroker S-Trim, 5spd

2014 Ford Mustang GT- daily driver

Posts: 1154 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: May 2002  |  :
stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinLX:
quote:
Originally posted by Jmir018:
so, my stock axles seem to be on borrowed time, i have over 18 4-5k dumps with et streets on them and they are still holding strong. I hear of people breaking them with stock cars and drag radials, so maybe it's time to upgrade.

Thanks.

I would say Your chances of breaking Your stock axel's on street tires/DR's with a 12 second car are very low.
I don't ever run street tires of drag radials.. damn.. 1k is a lot of money, was that for the upgraded 28 spline set up you mentioned, or for a 31 set.. I was hoping not to spend much more than 500 bucks.

quote:
Originally posted by forced331:
You can go with a 31 spline traction lock. Its like the stock setup, but can accomodate31 spline axles. There is a guy on the corral that goes by the name 70maverick selling a bunch of explorer and f-150 take offs (31 spline taction lock) for $90 shipped. He claims they have between 5-10k miles. I bought one and it looks new. Plus they are rebuildable just in case you have issues. That would be a budget route!

Forced331? will that traction lock work with 31 spline strange axles?
Thanks.. that sounds like a great deal? is there anything else requiered to make them work with my stock set up? i hate customazing stuff, i'm more of a plug and play kinda guy.
what do u run on your car? Thanks.

[ January 01, 2007, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: Jmir018 ]

--------------------
=(

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a trak-loc from an F150 in my car, using Superior Evolution Series axles. Killer set-up.

Look here for the unit

Ebay

About the axles, and then there lifetime warranty.
Superior Evolution Axles

Warranty

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com