Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Flooding question?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Flooding question?
Dag302
¯
Member # 4682

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dag302  Ford pictures for Dag302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Car starts and runs fine with 42 psi of fuel. When car is shut down and try and re-start right away it is flooded. Have to wait 30 minutes to a hour to start and does same thing again. Any suggestions?

--------------------
04 Expedition 4X4
93 Cobra #822
96 Cobra

Posts: 2842 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
e89notch
¯
Member # 6610

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for e89notch  Ford pictures for e89notch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im taking a rough guess on this one..maybe injectors are to big..what size fuel pump?

--------------------
Sleeper on the streets

Dag302
¯
Member # 4682

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dag302  Ford pictures for Dag302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
42 lb injectors, not sure what the intank is but it has a t-rex on it also

--------------------
04 Expedition 4X4
93 Cobra #822
96 Cobra

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't know if you've tried this but if you press the gas pedal down all the way it cuts off fuel to the injectors.

Beats waiting 30 minutes. [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

Dag302
¯
Member # 4682

quote:
Originally posted by 166 Merlot:
Don't know if you've tried this but if you press the gas pedal down all the way it cuts off fuel to the injectors.

Beats waiting 30 minutes. [Whoo Whooooo!]

yeah, we have tried that. It seems like it is just dumping fuel once you shut it down.

--------------------
04 Expedition 4X4
93 Cobra #822
96 Cobra

*BlueBeast88.306*
¯
Member # 6360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *BlueBeast88.306*  Ford pictures for *BlueBeast88.306*  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is your t-rex on a ignition controlled power wire or straight to battery?
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BlueBeast88.306:

If it was straight to the battery then it would run all the time.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
*BlueBeast88.306*
¯
Member # 6360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *BlueBeast88.306*  Ford pictures for *BlueBeast88.306*  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by asskickn88:
quote:
Originally posted by BlueBeast88.306:

If it was straight to the battery then it would run all the time.
I was just making sure, I dont know if that pump may have some type of thermal protection that shuts it off after running for awhile with the engine off. If this is not the case maybe the t-rex relay is sticking closed. It seams that something must still be pumping because the fuel thats in the rails is not enough to flood the car and prevent it from starting.
BlueOvalRacing
¯
Member # 1531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueOvalRacing  Ford pictures for BlueOvalRacing    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pull the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator and see if fuel comes out. If not, hook up your fuel pressure gauge and see if the psi drops to 0 when you kill the engine. You might have a leaky injector or 2, but it shouldn't be enough to completely flood the engine.
Dag302
¯
Member # 4682

I will try vacumn line later. PSI does drop to zero when shut down.

--------------------
04 Expedition 4X4
93 Cobra #822
96 Cobra

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it'll drop gradually not straight to zero

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

modular
¯
Member # 6599

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for modular  Ford pictures for modular    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

[ December 29, 2006, 04:27 AM: Message edited by: modular ]

--------------------
I had no idea that so many people knew everything until I joined this site.
I was prolly drunk. Get over it
***BEWARE*** COP CALLERS! Eljefe-Adower!

Posts: 548 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2006  |  :
modular
¯
Member # 6599

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for modular  Ford pictures for modular    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Injectors is my guess, start the car in the dark and check for different header runner colors. Or run it for a second and check for heat on the runners (dont burn yourself) Are the injector plugs ran to the correct injectors.

--------------------
I had no idea that so many people knew everything until I joined this site.
I was prolly drunk. Get over it
***BEWARE*** COP CALLERS! Eljefe-Adower!

Posts: 548 | From: sacramento | Registered: Mar 2006  |  :
Dag302
¯
Member # 4682

quote:
Originally posted by modular:
Injectors is my guess, start the car in the dark and check for different header runner colors. Or run it for a second and check for heat on the runners (dont burn yourself) Are the injector plugs ran to the correct injectors.

Passenger side header starts to glow.

[ December 29, 2006, 04:53 AM: Message edited by: Dag302 ]

--------------------
04 Expedition 4X4
93 Cobra #822
96 Cobra

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
All parts on the car are the same exept for the heads, cam and intake. The injectors were working fine before and the fuel pressure regulator is also fine. The fuel pressure is at 42 PSI while the car is running and once its shut off it will slowly drop over time. Base timing is at 12 degrees, I know its a bit high for blown car but just where I was starting with it. It starts and runs fine, its just after its shut down it wont restart and you can smell fuel from the exhaust. The car is still untuned and is running rich anyway. It has an 88 Mass air computer and I'm wondering if that could have something to do with it. I hear that first year of computer is one to stay away from but its going to get a chip and be tuned anyway so might turn out alright.

[ December 29, 2006, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: asskickn88 ]

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com