Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 03 Cobra Shifting Problem?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 03 Cobra Shifting Problem?
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A friend has an 03 Cobra making 450RWHP. When he's at the track racing and is shifting from 3rd to 4th at high RPM's it will not allow it to go into 4th until the RPM's drop. The car has LESS than 10k miles. Suggestions?

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Very, very common problem with theses cars almost like you hit a wall before it can get in.

I assume everything is stock in regards to the clutch set-up...........most people throw on a firewall adjuster and quadrant and it seems to help quite a bit.

Something i still need to do this winter [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Any specific brand you guys know that is the "best" so to speak?

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm going to put Fiore products on mine.

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

lostsoul
¯
Member # 5797

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lostsoul  Ford pictures for lostsoul    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thats why Cobras are over rated [Razz]

--------------------
slp/ati procharger

shamis935
¯
Member # 6300

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for shamis935  Ford pictures for shamis935    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by TRIXSNK:
Very, very common problem with theses cars almost like you hit a wall before it can get in.

I assume everything is stock in regards to the clutch set-up...........most people throw on a firewall adjuster and quadrant and it seems to help quite a bit.

Something i still need to do this winter [Roll Eyes]

+1 mine did the same thing i put the steeda kit from mustangtuning.com (like 100$) and it cleared it right up. i have a set-up much like TRIX and i took it out with the new DR's for some testing and it never had a problem shifting.

--------------------
'03 cobra

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yep, comon problem. It's basically a clutch that's not adjusted correctly.
I've always liked the UPR stuff. The tripple-hook quadrant allows use of the stock clutch cable.....which is nice since the stocker unit is the best available. Firewall adjuster & quadrant are around $30 each.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

quote:
Originally posted by 93PONY:
I've always liked the UPR stuff. The tripple-hook quadrant allows use of the stock clutch cable.....which is nice since the stocker unit is the best available. Firewall adjuster & quadrant are around $30 each.

To add to this i think there have been reports of some people having probs with the triple hook when using the CF DFX clutch.

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

Tha91SiCkNeSs
¯
Member # 5790

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tha91SiCkNeSs  Ford pictures for Tha91SiCkNeSs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yup, does that on mine. Haven't done anything about it though. Probably should get an adjustable.

--------------------
2003 Cobra

Posts: 565 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

To add to this i think there have been reports of some people having probs with the triple hook when using the CF DFX clutch.
Yeah I had that happen on a DFX install. If you have the clutch adjusted too tight the throw-out bearing will will actually hit the ring of weights on the Centerforce pressure plate. Certain clutch quadrants have different ramp angles than stock & will move the clutch disk more or less than stock....depending on if the new quadrant has a more or less aggressive ramp than stock.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I haven't noticed this on mine, but I'm gonna be ordering a fiore adj just to be safe.
Good info to know tho!

[ January 16, 2007, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: 94gt ]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

quote:
quote:
quote:

Yeah I had that happen on a DFX install. If you have the clutch adjusted too tight the throw-out bearing will will actually hit the ring of weights on the Centerforce pressure plate. Certain clutch quadrants have different ramp angles than stock & will move the clutch disk more or less than stock....depending on if the new quadrant has a more or less aggressive ramp than stock.
What did the customer end up with?

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

What did the customer end up with?
DFX with no ring & the UPR stuff.
The ring caused other issues....it did not stay centered & caused a vibration in the driveline. It was removed.
I've never been a fan of using weights on the pressure plate like this. The vast majority don't stay centered & can cause vibration problems.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com