Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Anyone heard of PIP sensor?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone heard of PIP sensor?
KeithStang7
¯
Member # 1945

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KeithStang7  Ford pictures for KeithStang7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Trying to locate a starting problem. I have a list of tests to perform. I have fuel at the shrader valve. I pulled a 116 and 332 code. Already changed the ECT. EGR will follow soon. Car turns over strong but will not start. I remember reading about a pip sensor in the distributor that is a notoriuos failure sensor on the ford dist. Not sure if its true or not. Just wanted some input from you guys. Ignition switch has been replaced. Battery and alternator test good. No I'm not just throwing parts at the car. These are items that needed to be replaced. Thanks for any and all help.

--------------------
We the unwilling
Do the impossible
For the ungrateful

Posts: 393 | From: Redding, Ca | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
86BackInBlack
¯
Member # 5372

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86BackInBlack  Ford pictures for 86BackInBlack    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check the three main things, air fuel and spark. I believe the pip sensor would cause you to have a no spark issue.

--------------------
http://i.imgur.com/go1nj.gif

KeithStang7
¯
Member # 1945

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KeithStang7  Ford pictures for KeithStang7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks. i'm leaning towards a no spark problem. but i'm not ruling out anything at this point.

--------------------
We the unwilling
Do the impossible
For the ungrateful

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My guess would be your TFI module is out.

-

need this to take it off

-

[ December 28, 2006, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: Jdub07 ]

KeithStang7
¯
Member # 1945

AAAHHH.....thats the "special" tool I've been hearing about. Any parts store should have one I hope. Thanks for all the help.

--------------------
We the unwilling
Do the impossible
For the ungrateful

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by KeithStang7:
AAAHHH.....thats the "special" tool I've been hearing about. Any parts store should have one I hope. Thanks for all the help.

yup any part store will/should have it, I think its even called 'tfi module wrench' on the package. They also sell just a socket for your ratchet that will fit. If you can borrow a buddies tfi I'd try that first before buying a new one. And if you need a new one get a motorcraft one not the cheap aftermarket ones.
KeithStang7
¯
Member # 1945

I took the cap and rotor off last night and sanded the points on each with some 80 grit. Then hooked up my timing light and started cranking it over. And of coase it started. I was hoping it wouldn't start so I could fix "the" problem. It started again this morning to. So I guess I'll keep all my tools with me and just wait for it to start acting up again. That TFI module,,,,is the in the distributor? Looked in my Chiltons and could not find it. Thanks again for all the input.

--------------------
We the unwilling
Do the impossible
For the ungrateful

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What kinda car are you working on?...You never said....Fox body Mustangs will have the TFI module on the side of the outside of the distributor, 94-95 Stangs have the TFI module mounted on the passenger side apron....The PIP sensor is mounted underneath the dist rotor inside the distributor...I'd recommend finding the problem correctly using test methods rather than buying new parts and crossing your fingers, but the TFI and PIP are prone to going bad on Fords...

116~Is probably the (ECT)coolant temp sensor(located on the intake manifold on most cars)

332~Is probably the EGR position sensor located on the back of the EGR...

Good luck..

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
KeithStang7
¯
Member # 1945

It's a 94GT. And if you read my post at the top of this page you'll see that I've been testing and not just throwing parts at the car. Thanks for the location of these items so that I can test them.

--------------------
We the unwilling
Do the impossible
For the ungrateful

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com