Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » fuel pump/fuel filter - boggin ??

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: fuel pump/fuel filter - boggin ??
89goose
¯
Member # 7196

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for 89goose  Ford pictures for 89goose        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hello fellas,
i was wondering if anyone knows why my 5.0 boggs - it happens almost anytime- but when i kinda gun it - it will go away. i first thought it was becuz i need a tune-up - but i did one and its still there. can it be a dirty fuel filter or possible bad pump??.
and is the filter located outside the gas tank?

GT302PONY
¯
Member # 6658

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GT302PONY  Ford pictures for GT302PONY  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
does it backfire too ohh and the fuel filter is in the back outside the tank and up by the rear end if you fuel pump is going out you should hear a loud humming noies coming from the gas tank
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What did you do to tune the car up? A tune up should include changing the fuel filter. Also, try changing; plugs, dist cap+rotor, PCV valve, air filter (unless you have a K&N then just clean and oil it), check the timing, and check the TPS voltage. You may also want to check the plug wires to make sure they are in good shape.

If it still bogs then you have other issues.

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
89goose
¯
Member # 7196

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89goose  Ford pictures for 89goose        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by COBRA302MAN:
does it backfire too ohh and the fuel filter is in the back outside the tank and up by the rear end if you fuel pump is going out you should hear a loud humming noies coming from the gas tank

no back fire, and thanks bout the location of the filter, i did look under there and seen a filter -?? - i guessed right- just wasnt sure- and no noise from the tank.
thanks

89goose
¯
Member # 7196

Ford Icon 12 posted      Profile for 89goose  Ford pictures for 89goose        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 92stangLX:
What did you do to tune the car up? A tune up should include changing the fuel filter. Also, try changing; plugs, dist cap+rotor, PCV valve, air filter (unless you have a K&N then just clean and oil it), check the timing, and check the TPS voltage. You may also want to check the plug wires to make sure they are in good shape.

i changed the wires-cap-rotor- plugs - i didnt change the pcv,i have a k&n- but what do i use to clean it and oil it with what kinda oil.didnt check the timing- and dont know how to test the TPS voltage.
imma alright backyard mechanic - just need to be shown once and i got it.
thanks

87coupe510
¯
Member # 6150

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87coupe510  Ford pictures for 87coupe510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My 89 coupe use to do the same thing. It's probably the fuel filter. I changed mine and put some fuel system cleaner in it and the bogging whent away.

--------------------
RAIN OR SHINE I STAY SIDEWAYS IN MY STANG!!!!!!!!!!!
1993 Coupe "Stock" "It's Just Exhaust"

89goose
¯
Member # 7196

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89goose  Ford pictures for 89goose        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 87coupe510:
My 89 coupe use to do the same thing. It's probably the fuel filter. I changed mine and put some fuel system cleaner in it and the bogging whent away.

Thanks - imma try it this weekend !
NCALSVT
¯
Member # 3205

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NCALSVT  Ford pictures for NCALSVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i am having the same problem,i do hear the hummmmig from the fuel pump,kinda sounds like a chevy, i disconnected the fuel lines ti the injectors, and then put it in the on postion, and fuel should, pressure out, but if it streams out, them its, my fuel pump right.
COPFITY
¯
Member # 1845

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for COPFITY  Ford pictures for COPFITY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 89goose:
quote:
Originally posted by 92stangLX:

i changed the wires-cap-rotor- plugs - i didnt change the pcv,i have a k&n- but what do i use to clean it and oil it with what kinda oil.didnt check the timing- and dont know how to test the TPS voltage.
imma alright backyard mechanic - just need to be shown once and i got it.
thanks

make sure u got the spark plugs gapped right. as for your k&n air filter go buy the k&n filter cleaner kit.. i think there udner $20 at all the parts stores.. i never buy em i always use my brothers haha. ok the tps is a little bit tricky but its very easy.. u might need two people to help u either rotate the tps or hold the volt meter (depenging on which task u wanna do)

1. loosen the screws holding the tps sensor but don't take it off.

2. turn the key on but don't start the car

3. touch the positive tip of the volt meter to the GREEN wire of the tps. Ground the negative tip of the volt meter to a good ground or the engine.

4. now rotate the tps until it reads .98 or .99 then tighten screws and recheck (beware that the slightest rotation will change the reading so be careful while your tightening the screws.

GOOD LUCK!

[patriot]

--------------------
'92 Mustang LX Coupe
-Procharger P600
'71 Camaro Project
'97 Saturn SL1(saving the planet)

Posts: 884 | From: Pittsburg CA... No "H" cuz we don't hate! | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com