Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » is there a "how to" install headers?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: is there a "how to" install headers?
full throttle
¯
Member # 7220

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for full throttle  Ford pictures for full throttle    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
like i said before, i know nothing about mustang. i have a fox body and i just purchased some long tube headers and matching h pipe, can someone explain how to install them, because i'm not planning to get stuck. thank you
full throttle
¯
Member # 7220

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for full throttle  Ford pictures for full throttle    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
any help?
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what year car, what motor, what tranny...?

for a fox, you'll want to unbolt your old h-pipe and headers, remove the smog pump line, unbolt the motor mounts from the k-member, and jack up the engine one side at a time to install the long tubes.

if your drivers side one comes apart, take it apart to get around the steering shaft. If it doesn't, I wish you luck.

some longtubes will not fit with the stock steering ragjoint, so you can either grind/modify/hammer shit to make them clear the rag joint or buy a new one made by flaming river from summitracing.com

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
full throttle
¯
Member # 7220

its an 88 lx 5.0 t5 tranny, what is a rag joint? sorry i'm new to mustangs
86BackInBlack
¯
Member # 5372

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86BackInBlack  Ford pictures for 86BackInBlack    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yea longtubes are a bitch. shorties are a piece of cake but i guess its up to what you want

--------------------
http://i.imgur.com/go1nj.gif

full throttle
¯
Member # 7220

its already been purchased, i just need guidance to how to put it in.
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by full throttle:
its already been purchased, i just need guidance to how to put it in.

Changing headers is a basic thing to do. Do you have any mechanic experience? Its really easy to get hung up and frustrated and its even worse if you dont have enough experience.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
CMELEVU
¯
Member # 2563

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CMELEVU  Ford pictures for CMELEVU    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
long tubes are a bitch with the motor in the car. do the drivers side first.
Posts: 201 | From: Marysville | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
full throttle
¯
Member # 7220

i can do everything on a honda, i just got out of the honda scene, i think i have enough experience, what i meant was like is there a step i should follow or anything so i don't run into some difficulty, i kno wi can do it, but i dont want to spend like half a day doing it, how long does it usually take to install long tubes in a fox body?
kingmoochr
¯
Member # 5834

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingmoochr  Ford pictures for kingmoochr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ull spend 1/2 a day. theres no trick, just unbolt, and replace everything you remove
68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you cant get them in unbolt the motor mounts they are a bitch.... also slide them from the bottom up. have fun.

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

Posts: 3986 | From: neverland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
COPFITY
¯
Member # 1845

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for COPFITY  Ford pictures for COPFITY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
give it a shot... I would prolly spend at least a couple hours just examining how everything comes together on your car before you actually start un-bolting stuff... installing headers is like playing tetris and you'll find ure self rotating them in every which way to snake them in.

I helped a buddy install longtubes on a ls1 in his garage and it was NOT fun at all... fox bodys aren't that bad.

good luck

--------------------
'92 Mustang LX Coupe
-Procharger P600
'71 Camaro Project
'97 Saturn SL1(saving the planet)

Posts: 884 | From: Pittsburg CA... No "H" cuz we don't hate! | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com