Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » How Do I Tell If I Have A 331 Or 306? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: How Do I Tell If I Have A 331 Or 306?
PopTheHood
¯
Member # 7040

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for PopTheHood  Ford pictures for PopTheHood    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just recived a shortblock that i purchased. On the reciept it says that i ordered a 306. I opened the package and started checking out the motor. Its totaly wrapped in plastic and on the side there is a tag that says that it is a 331 stroker. do you think they sent the wrong shortblock? or is the labeling of the block wrong? how do i tell the difference between the two? If they sent me a 331 instead of a 306 im not complaining. [Big Grin] that would be awesome.
AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Measure how far down the piston travels in the bore. A 306 will be 3" and a 331 will be 3.25".

--------------------
90 Notch

Posts: 1896 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
PopTheHood
¯
Member # 7040

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PopTheHood  Ford pictures for PopTheHood    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
all right thanks. what are the advantages and disadvantages if it is a 331? would twisted wedge heads and a stage 1 cam be ok on that motor? thats what i got cuz i was expecting a 306.
PopTheHood
¯
Member # 7040

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PopTheHood  Ford pictures for PopTheHood    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the bore on the cylinders is right about 4 inches and the stroke travels right about 3.25 inches.
Sk8OnGlass
¯
Member # 6370

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sk8OnGlass  Ford pictures for Sk8OnGlass    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so you got a 331 ... (nice )

--------------------
First On Race Day
FORD
yup that's my stang in da pic

Posts: 533 | From: san Jose, CA. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by PopTheHood:
the bore on the cylinders is right about 4 inches and the stroke travels right about 3.25 inches.

If you measurements are correct it's a 331. Can you see a part number on the crank?
The heads will be alright, cam a little on the small side, but it will work.
edit: where did you buy it from? Are you sure you didnt pay for a 331, and it sent with the wrong receipt or something?

[ December 13, 2006, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: AJBlackGT ]

--------------------
90 Notch

Posts: 1896 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
PopTheHood
¯
Member # 7040

Dss racing. I bought a pro bullet 306 for $2,219. on the reciept it says 306 pro bullet. on the wrapping the block came in it says 331 pro bullet.
CMELEVU
¯
Member # 2563

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CMELEVU  Ford pictures for CMELEVU    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like you scored. Turn the block over and see if the cyl walls are clearenced for the longer stroke.
Posts: 201 | From: Marysville | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
RED@7kVERT *8850GT*
¯
Member # 5909

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*  Ford pictures for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
damn...thats a come up!!! niiice....

--------------------
02 Z06-11.0 @ 132 1.9 60'
_ _ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _ _
Sold:05 CTS-V-13.1@114
Sold:01 Cobra Vert-12.0@119

PopTheHood
¯
Member # 7040

5.0Stroker written on the main support system
 -
Depth of the stroke
 -
size of the bore/piston
 -
Windage tray
 -
Pistons
 -
Motor 1
 -
Motor 2
 -
Motor 3
 -

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
all right thanks. what are the advantages and disadvantages if it is a 331? would twisted wedge heads and a stage 1 cam be ok on that motor? thats what i got cuz i was expecting a 306.

The advantage is more torque. There are really no disadvantages if it is built right except for the slightly extra cost. You should make pretty good power with those heads and cam.
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
kingmoochr
¯
Member # 5834

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingmoochr  Ford pictures for kingmoochr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check valve clearance, you might need more with those pistons
88bird
¯
Member # 1424

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88bird  Ford pictures for 88bird    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't forget, most likly your gonna need a 28oz balancer and flywheel.

The 50oz stuff may not work (depending how it was balanced)

Posts: 149 | From: Citrus Heights | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
JBeezy53
CAFords OG
Member # 3960

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JBeezy53  Ford pictures for JBeezy53    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You must have been a good boy this year! [Big Grin]

--------------------
89 Gt
98 Cobra
88 Notch
05 GSXR 750 Blk/Yel

Posts: 1782 | From: Sacramento, Ca | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Dss racing. I bought a pro bullet 306 for $2,219. on the reciept it says 306 pro bullet. on the wrapping the block came in it says 331 pro bullet.

looks like im calling dss today and ordering a 306 and hopefully my 347 will be here next week!!!

good deal u lucked out run it!! [patriot]

Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
PopTheHood
¯
Member # 7040

Hey V-town, you from Vallejo? what you drive? i might have seen you around.
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i used to have a peweter and silver drop top with a vortech on it about 6yrs ago and then i hade a jade green notch about 2-3 yrs ago and the cougar has been in hidding but i have done a couple test drives around town recently and its orange and silver two tone
Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
PopTheHood
¯
Member # 7040

Guess not. Have you seen that white and orange bel air runnin around? That thing is nice. I drive the red and black 85 convertable.
adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im calling DSS and asking for the popthehood special

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

Mr.Lucky
CAFords OG
Member # 1772

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.Lucky  Ford pictures for Mr.Lucky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by adower:
Im calling DSS and asking for the popthehood special

+1 lol

--------------------
95GT: Bolt ons.
Good sellers/buyers: Stangs R Us, 1SicGt, sn4bwc, racsirx, WickedStang, Autumnstang97, cali95gt

PopTheHood
¯
Member # 7040

Thats funny!! PopTheHood Special.. haha [Big Grin]

I got started on the project today. I got the old motor pulled.
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

[ December 14, 2006, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: PopTheHood ]

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I hope it came with a ballancer and a flywheel because 331's and 306's can use different ballance weights. Most 331's are 25 oz. and 306's are 50 oz. Hopefully yours is the same. If after you start it you feel a big vibration this is why.
PopTheHood
¯
Member # 7040

It needs a 28oz balancer and flywheel which are on their way here.
SPEC -Fabrication
¯
Member # 4980

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SPEC -Fabrication  Ford pictures for SPEC -Fabrication    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Guess not. Have you seen that white and orange bel air runnin around? That thing is nice. I drive the red and black 85 convertable.

yeah, I did all the chassi work on it , 4 link, 9" also sports a 468ci [Big Grin] [patriot]

--------------------
1999 Saleen#124
1997 Tahoe
2006 ZX636R
CWS certified welder

Posts: 1321 | From: drinkin BEER! | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

The one with no hood and a nice interior?

That thing used to be at Bud's all the time. That car was sick!

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com