Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » anyone know about vw's?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: anyone know about vw's?
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've posted this in a vw forum and thought I throw it out here too in case there is some magical solution one of you knows about.

I have a 70 karmann ghia air cooled 1600 dual port motor that wont start. It turns over and over and over but wont start. Coil is good and I'm getting spark. Fuel pump is working as I'm doing a good job of flooding the carb. For whatever reason it wont start up. I'm picking up a compression tester today and ordered a to check compression. If you know of any other things to check let me know.

86BackInBlack
¯
Member # 5372

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86BackInBlack  Ford pictures for 86BackInBlack    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i know they have shitty electrical systems

--------------------
http://i.imgur.com/go1nj.gif

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have had 7 old V dubs over the years. Was the car running and then just quit? Check the valves and make sure that they arent too tight. Also if anyone had the engine apart and didnt torque the heads correcly it would do the same thing.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It ran when I went to buy it...but shitty and only would stay running if you pumped the gas pedel. I only ran it to pull it up onto the trailer and then to pull it into the garage. Then did basic tune shit and it wouldn't start.

Last owner did say the motor was overhauled 8 years ago and that only 75 miles were put on it since. After the motor overhaul the car was stripped for paint but he never followed through.

I checked the compression yesterday and they are all in the 90 range or within 5 of each other. Could the valves still be to tight?

FordPoor
¯
Member # 6925

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FordPoor  Ford pictures for FordPoor    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check those two air tubes to the intake (left and right side of the engine), they crack and suck air when they get old.
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jdub07:
I checked the compression yesterday and they are all in the 90 range or within 5 of each other. Could the valves still be to tight?

If the compression is good then the valves are set ok. You need to rebuild the carb it sounds like. Its not hard to flood these cars. I would get the big can of Berrymans carb dip (looks like a paint can), take it apart and let the metal pieces soak for a while. If this thing sat a long time then the carb is plugged up good with crap. As in the post before mine, I would also check the rubber gaskets between the center intake and the ends. I dont think that they would crack bad enough to make it not start but would make it run bad for sure.

--------------------

Abandon him.

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

I've rebuilt the carb, have new plugs, new wires, new distributor, new points (static timed), new cap and new rotor. Fresh oil flush and vaccum lines correct. The large heater tubes are not on the car at the moment. That couldn't be it could it? I see them without those all the time. I could throw them on and try I guess. I know for sure nothing is clogged up. Motor is very clean.

Did I mention that when I test the battery with my meter is shows 12 volts but when I turn the key the meter shows the battery dropping all the way to 6 volts. Is this a good indication that I just might now be getting enough juice to fire the bitch up? [patriot]

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Yeah, if the voltage is dropping that low then it could be a problem. The tubes from the fan shroud to the heater box dont have to be on to run but dont run it too much without them or it will overheat. Some people put large freeze plugs in the holes if they dont want the tubes connected but either way they just cant be open for long. What city do you live in?

--------------------

Abandon him.

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

quote:
Originally posted by asskickn88:
Yeah, if the voltage is dropping that low then it could be a problem. The tubes from the fan shroud to the heater box dont have to be on to run but dont run it too much without them or it will overheat. Some people put large freeze plugs in the holes if they dont want the tubes connected but either way they just cant be open for long. What city do you live in?

I'm in Fremont. I just ordered a starter relay booster thing on ebay but I think I'm getting shafter by the fucker selling them. He says in the auction they have 4 of them and so I bought one via the buy now option. Then I get an e-mail from him saything they are out of stock!

I've charged the battery a few times but it is very tired. I don't know how old the battery is so getting a new one seems like a good idea. Battery LOOKS new but you never know. THe date on it was never indicated.

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

If you werent so far away I'd swing over and take a look. Its funny but with all the mechanical stuff I've done over the years, I really liked working on my VW's. Has the car been properly changed over to 12 volt? Some people change the battery and bulbs but leave the 6 volt starter in the car. It works for a while but then will burn it up. Check the voltage to the coil with the key on and see what its at too.

--------------------

Abandon him.

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

quote:
Originally posted by asskickn88:
If you werent so far away I'd swing over and take a look. Its funny but with all the mechanical stuff I've done over the years, I really liked working on my VW's. Has the car been properly changed over to 12 volt? Some people change the battery and bulbs but leave the 6 volt starter in the car. It works for a while but then will burn it up. Check the voltage to the coil with the key on and see what its at too.

1970 Ghias came 12 volt from factory (from my understanding) but I'll check the coil voltage
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Sorry, 70's do come with 12 volt. I was thinking it was older for some reason. I'm sure its something little causing the problem.

--------------------

Abandon him.

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Thanks for the advice...and yeah FUCK UPS!
Hozr
¯
Member # 6196

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hozr  Ford pictures for Hozr  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How old is the fuel? Fresh tank?

--------------------
For every winner, there are dozens of losers. Odds are you're one of them.

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

quote:
Originally posted by Hozr:
How old is the fuel? Fresh tank?

The fuel in the tank is at least 8 years old and I've not bought a new tank yet. I'm still debating on weather buy another tank or flush the one I have.

But in the meantime I have bypassed the tank for a gas can full of clean new gas. I've also flushed the fuel pump out and rebuilt it and put in a new fuel filter. Its getting good clean gas now.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com