Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Wiring horn to aftermarket steering wheel.

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Wiring horn to aftermarket steering wheel.
SWERVN50
¯
Member # 6854

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SWERVN50  Ford pictures for SWERVN50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just installed a grant steering wheel in my 90 5.0 and i wanted to know which wires are for the horn? The wires for the horn, cruise control and for the aribag are on a circuit board. On the circuit board there are a set of two wires one set has a sleeve over it and is 2 wires.The other set doesnt have a sleeve and is 3 wires.I didnt try to hook up any wires because i didnt want to short anything out.
BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCINGUU  Ford pictures for BCINGUU  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Are you talking about the circuit board that came with the Grant wheel? If so the 3 wires are for cruise and the 2 wires are for horn. You can short the two wires together with the KEY OFF and it should honk the horn, without hurting anything.

--------------------
93 Cobra #4563 347ci 12.0@118 505rwhp 524tq
90 GT "Saleen Cobra" style convertible 347ci
67 GT "Eleanor" style coupe 347ci

Posts: 1425 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
SWERVN50
¯
Member # 6854

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SWERVN50  Ford pictures for SWERVN50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BCINGUU:
Are you talking about the circuit board that came with the Grant wheel? If so the 3 wires are for cruise and the 2 wires are for horn. You can short the two wires together with the KEY OFF and it should honk the horn, without hurting anything.

The circuitboard is on the steering colum. It connects all the wires together to the factory steering wheel. I took off that peice to make the hub from the 87-89 kit fit correctly to the removable steering wheel kit.
gt1990gt
¯
Member # 7211

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gt1990gt  Ford pictures for gt1990gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ah my horn does not work either join the crowd ha ha

--------------------
1990 Mustang Gt
Blue 17'' 1993 Cobra wheels

Posts: 314 | From: Vacaville Ca | Registered: Nov 2006  |  :
BUKSING
¯
Member # 6594

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BUKSING  Ford pictures for BUKSING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by gt1990gt:
ah my horn does not work either join the crowd ha ha

[patriot] me too.
full throttle
¯
Member # 7220

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for full throttle  Ford pictures for full throttle    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
me 3
87coupe510
¯
Member # 6150

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87coupe510  Ford pictures for 87coupe510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is it hard putting a grant wheel on an air bag fox? How do you guys get the air bag out? I want to put one on my 92 coupe.

--------------------
RAIN OR SHINE I STAY SIDEWAYS IN MY STANG!!!!!!!!!!!
1993 Coupe "Stock" "It's Just Exhaust"

SWERVN50
¯
Member # 6854

quote:
Originally posted by 87coupe510:
Is it hard putting a grant wheel on an air bag fox? How do you guys get the air bag out? I want to put one on my 92 coupe.

Its not hard at all. Getting the horn to work is the hard part. To remove the airbag you have to remove the 4 nuts on back of the steering wheel.I used the 87-89 Grant adapter kit on my 90lx, but Im not sure if it will work on 92-93.
87coupe510
¯
Member # 6150

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87coupe510  Ford pictures for 87coupe510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why do you say its hard to get the horn to work? Isn't it just a red power wire and a black ground? Thats how it was on my 89 coupe. I remember just those 2 wires and hooking them up to the prongs on the grant horn cap and that was it.

--------------------
RAIN OR SHINE I STAY SIDEWAYS IN MY STANG!!!!!!!!!!!
1993 Coupe "Stock" "It's Just Exhaust"

SWERVN50
¯
Member # 6854

quote:
Originally posted by 87coupe510:
Why do you say its hard to get the horn to work? Isn't it just a red power wire and a black ground? Thats how it was on my 89 coupe. I remember just those 2 wires and hooking them up to the prongs on the grant horn cap and that was it.

90-93 have the airbag, horn, & powersteering wires on a circuitboard. Not the same as the 87-89.You could try to trace the horn wires to the harness but to me the horn isnt that important.I installed a removable steering wheel so it makes it that much harder to steal my shit.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com