Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 94 GT Again...Overheating

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 94 GT Again...Overheating
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Damn thing is over heating...you think it could be a result of the incorrect thermostat? its a 160, whould have been a 190 right? also theres a tubue...fairly small that goes near the fuel rail area, that was squirting steam and water...i'll post a pic...other that i need to get this fool smogged and i cant take it there when it over heats...the last thing i havent done was the head gaskets...

--------------------
1997 Autumn Orange GT vert
1996 Mystic Cobra
2005 95ci Harley Road King
2011 F150 Raptor

Posts: 2139 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's not 'cause of your thermostat temp unless you have one that is stuck closed (you can tell b/c your heater will blow cold). That being said, your car will probably run better with a 180.
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
Greg M. Valdez
¯
Member # 7227

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg M. Valdez  Ford pictures for Greg M. Valdez    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by autumnstang97:
Damn thing is over heating...you think it could be a result of the incorrect thermostat? its a 160, whould have been a 190 right? also theres a tubue...fairly small that goes near the fuel rail area, that was squirting steam and water...i'll post a pic...other that i need to get this fool smogged and i cant take it there when it over heats...the last thing i havent done was the head gaskets...

Before R2 hd gskt see if cooling sys loosing antifreeze. Also ck if antifreeze is contaminating the engine oil-leaking hd gskt at coolant passages. White exhaust=lk in hd gskt. Basic stuff. If good, is upper rad hse hot and pressurized? If not, then stuck thremostat, or,how is the water pump? Have system pressure ck.Got mods? Might need heavy duty cooling system
Posts: 12 | From: banning, ca | Registered: Nov 2006  |  :
Greg M. Valdez
¯
Member # 7227

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg M. Valdez  Ford pictures for Greg M. Valdez    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

One more thing: I had a slight overheating prob one time. Gauge reading was almost at 1/2 way mark. This was not normal in my case. Turned out that the antifreeze was weak. I adjusted to 50/50 antifreeze & water and gauge read lower in its usual spot. Also might have problems if antifreeze is too strong. Again, basic stuff. All I know is that the system must have the perfect balance. Good luck. Bimini Blue
P41E-N-117418/daily drvr @ 255,365.4

Posts: 12 | From: banning, ca | Registered: Nov 2006  |  :
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How do i properly burp this sucker?...do i take the cap off and let her boil over and close it real quick or what? Should i get a pressure check on the system too? i dont know why its over heating...what would happen if i bypass the T-Stat?

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

i bought head gaskets for it anyway...i dont think they've been changed at all during the 200k miles before...lol...anyone ever changed them before...let me know and we can have some beer and change these suckers...

[ December 06, 2006, 12:21 AM: Message edited by: autumnstang97 ]

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
i bought head gaskets for it anyway...i dont think they've been changed at all during the 200k miles before...lol...anyone ever changed them before...let me know and we can have some beer and change these suckers...

Head gaskets arent "have a couple beers and hang out" type of job. Those arent something that get changed on a regular basis. Did you make sure the fan was working?

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

yup fan works...pressure in the upper radiator hose...everything checks out ok...system has been burped...last thing that hasnt been changed yet are the head gaskets...i might take out the Jetta from the garage and bring the 94' inside to work on it because theres more light and it'll take a few days...

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

ok i lied...the fan doesnt work...i repeat the freakin fan doesnt work...so i checked the connections on all the near by harnesses and they are all hooked up, clean and solid. ..could the fan itself be bad? where and how much would a new one cost...i'm hoping this is the problem...thanks asskickin88...for mentioning the fan... [worship]

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
ok i lied...the fan doesnt work...i repeat the freakin fan doesnt work...so i checked the connections on all the near by harnesses and they are all hooked up, clean and solid. ..could the fan itself be bad? where and how much would a new one cost...i'm hoping this is the problem...thanks asskickin88...for mentioning the fan... [worship]

1st off, don't change your head gaskets unless they are leaking.

You can test the fan by pulling it off the car and hooking up a battery to the positive and negative. Make sure the battery is not connected to the car [Smile]

If the fan works it could be the temp switch for the fan or something else.

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

thanks i'm gonna test it 2marrow....i'll let u know what happens...

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check fuses and the relays too.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
HDS
¯
Member # 2109

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HDS  Ford pictures for HDS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 95 GT Vert.
I used to have same problems, bought a
FLUIDYNE radiator and 160' Thermo.

Nice and cool now [Smile]

--------------------
1995 GT Vert

NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

How much for Fluidyne?
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Go and buy a stock thermostat from Ford...160 is too cold for a stock computer and or stock tune...The car will run rich to ry and warm up the car to operating temp and possibly fail smog...The fans won't come on either with a 160 stat because the engine will prol never get hot enough.....

90% of the time, on a stock car, the thermostat is the reason the car's overheating...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

ok
...thanks...I'll give that a try...replace the T-Stat with a stock replacement one...then i'll go from there...thanks a bunch ya'll

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com