Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 331 stroker and gt-40 aluminums?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 331 stroker and gt-40 aluminums?
svfreerider87
¯
Member # 5748

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for svfreerider87  Ford pictures for svfreerider87  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what's the ford community's opinion on running a 331 stroker with gt-40 aluminum heads with gt-40 upper and lower plentums? is this a pretty good set up? any estimation on power to the wheels with a mild porting of the heads? (btw have all basic bolt ons to go with it ie injectors bigger fuel pump, full exhaust, (all the basic bolt ons). any and all input greatly appreciated.

--------------------
Dreamspeed Motorsports

Posts: 1685 | From: Sunnyvale | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceman302  Ford pictures for iceman302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What cam?

Depending on a lot of variables, including the dyno... somewhere between 325-350 rwhp with all of the right supporting parts.

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

Posts: 4171 | From: Rancho Murieta | Registered: Oct 2006  |  :
2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I run this setup with a blower and it works OK. If I ever build a 331 N/A I would go with a better head than a GT40 aluminum. A nice AFR or even Vic Jr. head would work great.

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

svfreerider87
¯
Member # 5748

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for svfreerider87  Ford pictures for svfreerider87  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is this combination nitrous friendly? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dreamspeed Motorsports

iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceman302  Ford pictures for iceman302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by svfreerider87:
is this combination nitrous friendly? [Big Grin]

Nitrous is never friendly LOL.

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

Posts: 4171 | From: Rancho Murieta | Registered: Oct 2006  |  :
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
GT 40's are better on 302's. Spend the extra money on the head's.

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I run Vic Jr's on my 331 and I wouldn't go with anything smaller or lesser unless it was stock block and I was pushing 10+lbs of boost. N/A get something better. Atlest some performer RPM's TW's ported or 165's at the very least. But depends on your supporting hardware.

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

svfreerider87
¯
Member # 5748

so gt 40s are best for going with a stock bore?would i be better keeping the gt40s and going stock bore and eventually going supercharged?

--------------------
Dreamspeed Motorsports

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
so gt 40s are best for going with a stock bore?would i be better keeping the gt40s and going stock bore and eventually going supercharged?

This combo will work fine on a 331. However, you will get more power with a better set of heads. If you can afford it I would go with a set of TFS heads instead. If not then run the 331 with the GT40's. You will get more torque then the 302. Also, consider porting the lower intake.

If you are going to add a blower later make sure you build the motor with boost in mind. Keep the comperession at 9:1 and make sure you have a strong forged bottom end with good head gaskets.

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
svfreerider87
¯
Member # 5748

I can port the upper and lower intake plentums right? how about the throttle body and egr spacer?

--------------------
Dreamspeed Motorsports

2BlueGeeTees
¯
Member # 4702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2BlueGeeTees  Ford pictures for 2BlueGeeTees    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i had to get rid of my gt-40s for some edelbrock performers with a port job because i could flow enough cfm to feed my 347 it would have choked it out at higher rpm. i would definetly go with a different head. cam selection is also important
Posts: 2316 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I can port the upper and lower intake plentums right? how about the throttle body and egr spacer?

You can port the lower but not the upper on a GT40. They only thing you can do is enlarge the throttle body opening (probably a good idea).
svfreerider87
¯
Member # 5748

what can I do as far as cleaning the intakes, they're all gummed up with some sort of blackish petroleum substance, can i have them hottanked or something similar?

--------------------
Dreamspeed Motorsports

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

You can have them hot tanked or just buy a shitload of carb cleaner and go to town.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com