Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 94 GT Cooling System :(

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 94 GT Cooling System :(
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
some people are born unlucky...i changed the water pump, thermostat, and radiator on the 94 GT and that shit fills up with hella pressure...what the hell is up with that?...i have a little latch on the radiator capp and i flip it and nothing but steam shoots out..what causes so much pressure in the system/? the thermostant is a 160 one, which is the only one Kragen had around here...everythings brand new...should i get another radiator since it got warranty? unless someone wants to head down this way to check it out...i'm done with screwin around with this shit...tryin to get it as a daily driver but this shit keeps slowin me down...and its only the cooling system...

--------------------
1997 Autumn Orange GT vert
1996 Mystic Cobra
2005 95ci Harley Road King
2011 F150 Raptor

Posts: 2139 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The cooling system should have pressure in it. i Dont know what ur asking. Let the car cool off then take the cap off.

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
jaybquick
¯
Member # 4286

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jaybquick  Ford pictures for jaybquick  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Adam5.0:
The cooling system should have pressure in it. i Dont know what ur asking. Let the car cool off then take the cap off.

Yup. So why are you concerned, you need to eloborate. Does it overheat? If it is overheating after changing all that, you may have a blown head gasket.

--------------------
91 Mustang GT ET: 11.92@115
66 Mustang ET: 11.43@119
01 Audi S4 ET: 10.8@131
05 Audi S4 ET: 11.9@116
08 Audi S5 ET: 11.9@118

NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah that thing over heats still into the redzone...not right away but after about 5-6 minute drive...or if i let idle for about 10 minutes...the guage slowly goes up...
[Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
did you bleed/burp the cooling system of air?

if you did, then you have a blown head gasket.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

like i said...some aint born too lucky...how much them cost? where u get 'em...Kragen? thanks...i better get a torque wrench and start pullin shit out... [Frown]

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobramanPhil  Ford pictures for CobramanPhil    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just to confirm that your low and high speed fans turn on, correct?
Posts: 1016 | From: California, Bay Area | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 11 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
fan comes on... [Frown]

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

cobraracer46
¯
Member # 1142

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraracer46  Ford pictures for cobraracer46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
One quick check you can do is to make sure you have the air defector in place (the black air dam that always scrapes driveways), because if the air deflector is missing, the car will over heat. I would also check to see if the heater works properly because if it does not, then possibility exists that there is air in the cooling system or a head gasket is leaking coolant into the combustion chamber. Finally, Kragen made a big mistake by selling you a 160 T stat. Never run a T stat with a temp lower then 190 unless you like to waste more gas and wear away your cylinder walls quicker.

--------------------
2001 SVT cobra convertible with a Viper T56, Fikse wheels, Griggs frame kit, roll bar, Vortech, 4:30 gears, brembo GT brakes and more.

Posts: 1172 | From: Woodside California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  :
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

stupid kragen...i can go to napa to pick up the correct 190 one...the air deflector is still in place...i havent check to see if the heater is working correctly so i should check ...the other day i took off the radiator cap while the car was runnigna nd the fluid was wat at the bottom of the radiatorso i filled up with more water...then aftera few min it started to steam up slowly...

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by autumnstang97:
stupid kragen...i can go to napa to pick up the correct 190 one...the air deflector is still in place...i havent check to see if the heater is working correctly so i should check ...the other day i took off the radiator cap while the car was runnigna nd the fluid was wat at the bottom of the radiatorso i filled up with more water...then aftera few min it started to steam up slowly...

that means you have air in your cooling system still, you need to bleed that air out or it will just keep overheating.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

whats the proper way to bleed the system? what i did was just remove the radiator cap until it boils over...i should jack the front end of the car as higha s i can and take the cap off right? then i gotta fill it with more coolant cuz its almost most water and less coolant...if that dones work should i re-replace the t stat with a 190? and if all fails, go for head gaskets? thanks [worship]

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
whats the proper way to bleed the system? what i did was just remove the radiator cap until it boils over...i should jack the front end of the car as higha s i can and take the cap off right? then i gotta fill it with more coolant cuz its almost most water and less coolant...if that dones work should i re-replace the t stat with a 190? and if all fails, go for head gaskets? thanks [worship]

do a 50/50 mix of coolant and water.
Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:

you need to keep filling it as it boils over, that bubbling is the air coming out, when the air comes out you gotta replace that air with coolant/water or air will just get back in there.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

93mustang50
¯
Member # 6642

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93mustang50  Ford pictures for 93mustang50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok, i am not saying this will fix your problem but , just a little info i have never had a problrem with cooling, a good radiator, 50/50 colant mix, t stat with tiny hole drilled in plate, fans work, no heator core problems, and burped system. i wouldsay water pump or head gaskets. is there any coolant between the block and t-chain cover?

--------------------
93GT 306 H/C/I supercharged
06 Cummins 6spd
90 GT 5sdp daily driver HCI
16 Hellcat Charger
91GT aod(sold)
88GT5spd(totaled)

NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

nope theres no fluid on the t cover or block...it seems to be leak free at the moment...

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com