Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 17x9 Bullit on the front of a Fox?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 17x9 Bullit on the front of a Fox?
iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceman302  Ford pictures for iceman302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have been going around and around trying to figure out what will and won't work for the front of my '92. I'm going to be doing a full '94/'95 SN95 4 wheel disc conversion, but the Bullitt rims I just ordered are 17x9 and the offset is +24mm which I believe makes the backspacing 5.5"... I hear that the SN95 spindles already move the hub out another 1/4" or so and I'm thinking that 5.5" of backspacing is going to set the wheel and tire (245/45/17) out to damn far. Can anybody chime in on this? I'm thinking I'm going to have to ship them back and settle on 17x8's...Thanks for any advice.

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

Posts: 4171 | From: Rancho Murieta | Registered: Oct 2006  |  :
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the 96+ spindles move the wheel out .25in
Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceman302  Ford pictures for iceman302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by two-gun kid:
the 96+ spindles move the wheel out .25in

Is that 1/4" in adddition to whatever the '94/'95 spindles move it out? I'm under the impression that the hubs are already moved out a bit when you go to the '94/'95 spindles. How much do they move the hub out? I'm just looking at what I ordered and it looks like the wheel is not going to have enough backspacing and is going to stick out too far.

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't think you have enough backspacing. I'm just in the process of putting on 17x9 10th anniversary cobra rims with 6.12" BS. I mocked up the rims last night and with the suspension at full droop it looks like the outer edge of the rim is even or a little inside of the outer lip of the fenderwell, which means the wheels should tuck as the a-arm comes up. Quite a few people on the corral have run 17x9 in the front of foxbodys with the proper backspacing and some massaging/rolling of the fenderwell.
iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

quote:
Originally posted by SF Coupe:
I don't think you have enough backspacing. I'm just in the process of putting on 17x9 10th anniversary cobra rims with 6.12" BS. I mocked up the rims last night and with the suspension at full droop it looks like the outer edge of the rim is even or a little inside of the outer lip of the fenderwell, which means the wheels should tuck as the a-arm comes up. Quite a few people on the corral have run 17x9 in the front of foxbodys with the proper backspacing and some massaging/rolling of the fenderwell.

I had heard that. I definitely don't want to bother with rolling the fenderwell or have the wheel out that far and it sounds like mine will be more than another .6" out. When I ordered the wheels, the salesperson told me that the wheels (which are a reproduction Bullitt) used factory Ford backspacing. I asked if he meant the same backspacing as on their 17x9 wheels and he said yes. Knowing that the Ford 17x9's like the 10th anniversary wheels use 6.12", I figured that I was fine. It was only later when I called back to clarify that I realized that the salesman was misinformed or didn't understand what I was asking... go figure. It looks like I'm going to have to reorder some 17x8's and I'll have a set of brand new wheels to sell.

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

e89notch
¯
Member # 6610

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for e89notch  Ford pictures for e89notch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got 17x9's in front and 18x10's in back with a 5 lug conversion I got FR500's..I will post pic when I get a chance

--------------------
Sleeper on the streets

iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

quote:
Originally posted by e89notch:
I got 17x9's in front and 18x10's in back with a 5 lug conversion I got FR500's..I will post pic when I get a chance

What is your backspacing on your 17x9's and what spindle did you use? A picture would be great as well. Thanks.

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have 17x9's on all 4 corners of my slammed fox.

I recommend you use 17x9 24mm Offset rims with 94-95 spindles. That *should* tuck

If you use 96+ spindles, you are going to hate yourself, unless the rims have a 6.42"BS

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

quote:
Originally posted by Luke87GT:

I recommend you use 17x9 24mm Offset rims with 94-95 spindles. That *should* tuck

If you use 96+ spindles, you are going to hate yourself, unless the rims have a 6.42"BS

That's what I've got ordered... 17x9 w/+24MM offset. What's confusing is that by my calculation, a +24MM offset should equate to a 5.5" BS and not 5.95" like I keep hearing.

What size tire are you running? I only plan on using a 245/45/17.

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by iceman302:
quote:

That's what I've got ordered... 17x9 w/+24MM offset. What's confusing is that by my calculation, a +24MM offset should equate to a 5.5" BS and not 5.95" like I keep hearing.

I've got the same setup and am running 255/40-17 on all four corners

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

And no rubbing anywhere? Do you have any pics?

quote:
Originally posted by Wolfie351:
quote:
Originally posted by iceman302:
quote:

I've got the same setup and am running 255/40-17 on all four corners

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

e89notch
¯
Member # 6610

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for e89notch  Ford pictures for e89notch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how can i upload pics here??

--------------------
Sleeper on the streets

iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

quote:
Originally posted by e89notch:
how can i upload pics here??

I don't think that you can unless you have at least 46 posts or something. I sent you a PM with my email address. You can send them there. Thanks.

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

e89notch
¯
Member # 6610

I guess i'll keep on posting

--------------------
Sleeper on the streets

e89notch
¯
Member # 6610

did it work..here is the pic of my ride..what do you guys think?  -

--------------------
Sleeper on the streets

e89notch
¯
Member # 6610

-

hope it worked this time

--------------------
Sleeper on the streets

venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
use imageshack.us to upload your pic. once you get the url link inserted into the thread. or you can add the tags yourself like this:
[img] www.insertyourimagelinkhere.com [/img]

of course you replace the fake url between the brackets with the url you get from imageshack or what ever image hosting site u choose.

[ November 14, 2006, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: venomous99 ]

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

quote:
Originally posted by venomous99:
use imageshack.us to upload your pic. once you get the url link inserted into the thread. or you can add the tags yourself like this:
[img] www.insertyourimagelinkhere.com [/img]

of course you replace the fake url between the brackets with the url you get from imageshack or what ever image hosting site u choose.

Damn. I thought that your example was universal and would work for me. J/K, bro! Thanks for the advice. Some of us (like me) aren't quite as proficient with computers as others.

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
 -

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com